1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Murder investigation after woman found dead at UT Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dc rock, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

A murder on a college campus is a big deal. It doesn't happen often, and would garner media attention regardless of the victim.

RIP to the victim and hope she gets justice. As for the students on campus, I'd continue as normal with my regular safety precautions. Try to walk with others in lit areas. If by yourself, take note for others near you and talk to someone on the phone/fake a phone call.

2. gatsby

gatsby Member

I just watched the press conference from earlier today and they showed two videos of the person of interest. One they released, and the unreleased one shows him much closer up. I'm not sure why they chose to do the one they did.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This is r****ded. People were upset and torn before her picture was released. Putting a face to a victim will always generate another wave of coverage.

Gotcha. It just seems like such a strange place to attack someone (or god forbid dispose of something) since there are so many cameras and people considering the time of night. It's not unusual to have people walking around at that time on campus.

Hopefully the bike will help. Either there is a girl out there who has a pink bike that was stolen and can share a report with the police that might help. If that bike is his then someone is going to remember seeing him riding it somewhere around town.

#23 Brando2101, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And, as noted above, it is on a college campus. Parents and families with kids away from home are no doubt touched by these stories.

5. gatsby

gatsby Member

I watched the other video and he put his backpack on the bike.

Great point about his slowness though. It'd be unusual for a murderer to be so nonchalant leaving the scene.

6. gatsby

gatsby Member

Actually, I'm incorrect. In the second video, he then has two backpacks. One on his back and one on the handlebars. Sigh. You don't just magically end up with two backpacks while limping.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ut austin is one of the safest campuses, this is shocking. Hope they find the dude soon

8. Brando2101

The police department released the security footage. I can't believe it's all SD. They either uploaded it at the wrong resolution, Youtube hasn't finished processing the upload or the Security Cameras only record SD. I can't believe they would still be using SD cameras in 2016.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D7F2KEUbBNY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Man **** this dude who did such a ****ty thing

RIP Haruka

Graduated from there two years ago and vividly remember that creek. To find a body there is ****ing eerie and horrifying.

Praying that justice is served.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

No doubt.
    Agree 100% agree, Im just curious about the extended coverage if it were an 'ugly' person
    Keep telling yourself that, guy. Theres a reason and statistical data that show 'ugly' people always get the shorter end of the stick. Be it in a courtroom, traffic stop, selection for prizes, whatever it is, they are not treated the same.

Im sad for the victim and the family but like B-Bob said media controls the coverage and the airtime each case gets.

Do you remember Ayaanah Gibson? Of course you dont but heres a link. Not a crime like this case but a sad story nonetheless. She was giving birth to a child for heavens sake. Where was the coverage then? Get real man.

And the second wave you talk about can be a tidal wave or a ripple. In this case its a tidal wave from a pleasantly beautiful picture of a young lady. In the case of an unattractive person, it would most definitely be a ripple.

1 person likes this.
  11. Brando2101

I adamantly disagree and question the relevance of your example however I will not have such a useless and distracting argument in a thread like this. Take this to the D&D and go nuts.

1 person likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dude, I stay away from the D&D because I hate debating things plus Im not good at it, but when someone calls someone or their post r****ded. I have a problem with it. Get a mirror, homie.

13. gatsby

gatsby Member

Can both donkeypunch and brando please stop this and have some respect for someone brutally murdered?

Thanks y'all.

14. Brando2101

That is why I said I was not going to respond and that a discussion like that belongs in the D+D.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How did she die? Was she brutally murdered or did she just maybe fall and hit her head?

16. Brando2101

It hasn't been said yet but the damage was apparently clear that she was assaulted. I think that would mean it would be more than a head wound. However, there are no details.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Autopsy pointed to homicide.

18. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

I think it was a brutal murder. I think I read she was assaulted first. ugh. eff this dude. hope he feels the pain of hell asap. to murder and dump a body in a creek? sick effer

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So the guy just beat her to death? I have been by the alumni building area many times even on Sunday nights. There are usually some people walking around. I am suprised no one saw or heard anything.

20. Brando2101

Very few details are known.