1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Multiple Connection Modem?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dubious, May 26, 2015.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

How do I do that?

I think I would prefer to keep the TV, DVR and Chromcast on the original router/modem and then use the new router for anyone else's devices. Maybe keep the Comcast wifi password protected and have no password protection on the other one?

I already have an extender so that wifi works on the beachside deck. How will it know which wifi to extend?

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

yea no... this isn't correct.

Let the ASUS do its job.. The router in your modem sucks; Turn it off.

3. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I don't have personal experience with that modem/router combo so I can't say either way. FWIW it has a 3.5 star rating on Amazon. Not bad for a router. I think the Asus is rated 4+. However I doubt Arris/Motorola would include a horrible router with their modem/router combo they sell to one of the biggest cable providers. It's probably somewhere in the middle. Either way if he can divide up the work between two routers he'll get better performance than having 10 devices running on one router.

Use an app like Wifi Analytics to check your wifi signal around your house. Hook up the Asus router and diable your Arris router if you can and compare the results.

If you want to use the Asus as a WAP here is a link to instructions.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Thanks for the information, but your getting over my head, even reading about WAP. Setting up a wi fi is about technical as I get. Looking at the Comcast manual, it doesn't say anything about turning off the wifi.

Found this:
    http://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-way-to-turn-off-the-router-component-of-Comcasts-Xfinity-box

Quora User
    3 upvotes by Matt Coffman, Chris Bracken, and Garry Chase.
    So I think there is a better solution to your problem. I'm currently dealing with the same issue after an upgrade. Xfinity / Comcast can change the modem from Router to Bridge mode from their side. This will disable the wifi and allow you to use your own router without interferences. A few reports mention the @comcastcares twitter account to be responsive, or if you call customer service you may need to get passed up the chain to find someone who can make the change. It's good to know what you're asking for up front to smooth the process.

ason Riley
    1 upvote by Pedro Verdugo.
    Bridging a modem/router simply means that it is setup to pass all network traffic through to another router. Typically routers such as linksys, cisco, etc... do a much better job of handling the network traffic and also gives you more control over your network. So, if you have your own router, you may wish to have your ISP's modem bridged with your own router. In my experiences, your router would then need to be set up for PPoE authentication on the WAN port. Its not nearly as complicated as it sounds. PPoE connection uses your account user name and password to connect with your ISP. Simple... The router can be placed anywhere in the home or office provided it is hardwired to the modem using a Cat 5/6 data cable. I do recommend this set up as bridging modem to your router will perform much better 99% of the time. Not all modems support bridging. This option usually requires a call to your ISP tech support so that it can be enabled on the modem. Hope this helped explain how bridging works. It should in no way require any extra cabling, etc... for your existing network.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

It's not just turning off the wireless. You have to turn off ROUTING. you can only have one router on the network. A router inside your Comcast modem plus the Asus is not going to work. The router assigns the ip to your devices.

Let the Comcast modem bring in the internet, then connect the Asus to it and let the Asus do the routing and wireless broadcasting.

Make sure your Asus is on wireless channel 1, 6 or 11.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

If you're not tech savvy, instead of trying to bridge that modem, do one of two things.

1. Buy your own modem without wifi

2. Go to nearest Comcast store and replace your modem/router combo with just a modem.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

:cool:smart