1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mueller: Letter to Barr says Summary, “Failed to Capture Context, Nature & Substance” of Report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Apr 30, 2019.

1. adoo

adoo Member

if u had read the Muller report, ur would not be so un-informed

Mueller sites DoJ's policy of not indicting a sitting president.

quikkag likes this.
  2. biff17

biff17 Member

FREE COLLEGE is not the same as loan forgiveness.

Do you even know what loan forgiveness means.

Doesn't seem so.

3. TheresTheDagger

Every one of the 11 items I posted as being extreme positions of Democratic candidates for President are fodder for campaign commercials in the General Election. What's more, there will be video tape of these candidates supporting them. I imagine in the next 20 months, there will be plenty of debates and questions asked where again, these positions will be espoused again and again.

You can't hide what the party has become. You either have to sell it to americans, back off (making them panderers), or lose.

Nook likes this.
  4. TheresTheDagger

Who exactly is going to pay the student loans that are used to pay institutions of higher learning? Banks right? Who pays the banks? The Feds.

Cmon man.....this is like trying to argue with me what the meaning of the word is is.

5. Nook

Nook Member

That isn't true.

He addressed that in the Mueller Report.

He stated that the DOJ/OLC told him that they would not pursue charges on a sitting president based of precedent with President Nixon.

Mueller then stated that he is am employee of the DOJ/OLC and accordingly is bound by their policy.

He then went on to spell out that congress has the right and responsibility under the constitution to decide if the President obstructed justice.

Mueller also pointed out that criminal charges post presidency were also a possibility.

Mueller laid out 10 possible points of obstruction of justice.

#205 Nook, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    mikol13, quikkag and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If DoJ policy allowed, Mueller would have indicted Trump on OoJ.

So there is that.

quikkag likes this.
  7. biff17

biff17 Member

Sure dude you go with that.

It's just a republicans wet dream and gives them hope Trump can be reelected.

8. TheresTheDagger

9. TheresTheDagger

I don't need to "dream". It's already happened.

10. biff17

biff17 Member

I am going to need you to 1st answer the question of how loan forgiveness is the same as free college before we change the conversation.

Nice try.

11. biff17

biff17 Member

ok

12. TheresTheDagger

So then what Barr did was consistent with DOJ policy as well as Mueller's report.

Yes. The remedy is called impeachment. The Dems won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Cause its a loser politically.

Do you HONESTLY believe that is going to happen?

13. adoo

adoo Member

quikkag likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

You are better than that.

Go read the report.

Mueller goes into extreme detail and gives the reasons why he did not offer a suggestion of indictment.

The report spells out that Mueller went to the department of legal counsel who stated that they would not indict a sitting President. William Barr had also said he would not indict a sitting President. Mueller asked for confirmation that the DOJ would not indict. After he received confirmation, he stated that he could not offer a suggestion of indictment as he is bound by the DOJ guidelines. He then states that it would also be unfair for a sitting President to get a suggestion of indictment with no legal recourse to defend himself based on the DOJ guidelines.

After pointing that out, he launches into 10 examples of possible obstruction of justice and counter points on 6 of the 10 examples.

He then states that Congress has the power to indict under the constitution and has an ethical obligation to do so when there is a crime committed. He then discusses impeachment in the footnotes and the possibility of a President being criminally liable after he leaves office.

He oddly takes a swipe at the William Barr position articulated prior to being appointed Sec of State, the position that a sitting President cannot commit obstruction of Justice. Mueller states that is not legally a valid defense.

arno_ed and quikkag like this.
  15. TheresTheDagger

The conversation changed when you barged in on a conversation you were ignorant about. If you're too lazy to do it, I'll link you to my first post mentioning this subject FREE COLLEGE.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...stance”-of-report.298278/page-6#post-12386111

16. Anticope

Anticope Member

Doesn't this directly contradict what's stated in Mueller's letter to Barr though? I would take this statement with a grain of salt since it's the Justice Department essentially quoting Mueller.

quikkag likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

You stated that Robert Mueller would have suggested an indictment if he believed that the President was guilty of obstruction of justice........ and that is patently not true, and it is clear that Robert Mueller knew that would be an issue and spent time spelling out the reasons that he would not take a position on obstruction of justice by the President.

Do I think that the democrats will impeach the President? That is a different question than was being discussed, however I will offer the answer I have since before the report was released. No, I do not think the democrats should pursue an impeachment of the President on obstruction of justice charges because it doesn't politically help them. Everyone already knows what Trump did, and there is no pay off impeaching him. If they want to pursue criminal charges against him if he loses in 2020, that is their choice but I would suggest that may not be a box they want to open. Next time it could be a democrat looking at jail time.

Do I believe that the democrats WILL impeach the President? 75% no and 25% that they try. The democrats are splintered and are letting the extremist, special interest wing of their party. As a result there is a certain level of uncertainty.

However, none of that changes the fact that the statement that Robert Mueller would have suggested charges had he believed that the President obstructed justice is simply false.

There is a pretty strong argument for obstruction of justice as laid out in the Mueller Report....... I just do not think the American people care, they already know he is a crook and a liar....... and the democrats relying on that to win in 2020 are going to be in for a shock.... they need to stand up for what the Report says, they need to point out that William Barr lied ..... but they also need to worry about their own failings and articulate how they are going to convince voters in 5-6 states to vote for them and not Trump.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

No you explicitly said FORGIVING COLLEGE LOANS which I responded to.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...stance”-of-report.298278/page-8#post-12386672

And then you said it several more times.

19. Nook

Nook Member

It directly contradicts what the actually report says.

The report spends a lot of time laying out why they will not offer an opinion on an indictment. Barr indirectly admits this point when he says that Mueller works for him, and where Mueller fails to offer an opinion, it is the Barr's place to provide one.......... we can debate whether or not Barr has that power, and it is a fair debate....... but at the end of the day, we go with what the actual report says.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Free college will cost tax payers money and if it is free, we will likely see more college graduates.

That is common sense to me.

Years ago you and I agreed that we need to address the COST and PROFITS involved in a college education and not having free college. It is absurd that it costs 30-50K a year in many universities.... and at least some of that is because of federally insured loans championed by the democrats.

TheresTheDagger likes this.