1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MTV Classic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, May 26, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Many many years ago shortly after I was first married and living in Lake Wildwood (near Nevada City) in California. My wife worked for Sunsweet and we volunteered to work at the California state fair in Sunsweet's booth handing out prunes and prune related products.

Ken Ober (of MTV Remote Control fame... died in 2009) and Kevin Seal had a short run summer roadtrip show on MTV called Amuck in America where they traveled across the US seeing dopey things along the way. They came across the Sunsweet prune booth and for whatever reason that was dopey enough to film a short segment. They worked out a few lame jokes culminating on asking where the nearest bathroom (yea, it was that lame) and filmed a short five minute interview with me asking questions about prunes. I had to sign a waiver since I was now considered "on air".

A few months later I happened to be home and saw they were going to broadcast being at the CA state fair. So I quickly turned on the VCR to record (over a movie I liked at the time). And sure enough... a few minutes of me talking about prunes and pointing to where the bathroom was.

So that's my few minutes of fame on MTV. Not playing the guitar. Not singing. Not talking to Kari Wuhrer. Talking about prunes.

[​IMG]

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Was this the industry of cool they talk about in Almost famous?

3. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

I looked them up and turned it off as soon as I saw JNCOs.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Deserves it's own thread. And video.

RIP JMJ

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im glad to hear you caught that! the first time i heard garbage i actually thought it was curve trying to water down their sound so they could break in america.

from what i heard butch vig was desperate to produce curve, but they did all their records with alan moulder, who is married to the singer from curve (check out link below for his pretty damn impressive resume). so vig formed a rip-off version that he could produce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moulder

i saw curve in 1992 at the vatican and then fizgeralds in 1994 and liberty lunch in austin in 1997 or 1998. they were a great live band.

#26 jo mama, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    studogg and mikol13 like this.
  7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

That. Was. Awesome! Great story!

#27 boomboom, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  8. Bono

Bono Contributing Member

I learned most of my music knowledge thanks to Beavis and Butthead reruns so thankfully I'm not completely lost on this.

DCkid and boomboom like this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agree about 120 Minutes. I always get excited when I see it on the guide but it's literally the same 20 songs over and over again.

Metal Mayhem is pretty cool though.

10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

120 Minutes (or waiting for it to come on) introduced me to The Young Ones. Was a win-win-win for me.

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

For those reading this thread, I recommend the book ... I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution by Rob Tannenbaum

mikol13 likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOVE MTV Classic. Friday nights are the best with the "I Love 80's" 3 hour block, followed by the 4 hour block of "Metal Mayhem."

If I could loop those 2 together for 24 hours 7 days a week I would.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

A thread about 80's-centric stuff and @Roscoe Arbuckle hasn't commented? Wtf is going on around here?

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He’s in Daytona Beach with Joey Lawrence scouting locations for MTV Spring Break.

Xerobull and boomboom like this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Woah!!!

BigM and studogg like this.
  18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Just found this, and it's awesome. She was/is so hot. Fun Parody. Definitely uses Gloria Gaynor and the music from Footloose, but I don't care. She and Victoria Principal were the fit "President & First Ladies" girls of the 80's. And it's so catchy.

And this song has always helped me.

Never worry about what you look like. Like your attitude. Dude tried to nudge me to the side tonight. I didn't budge. Half my my age and larger. He finally asked if I minded and I said "Yep." I moved, but you don't encroach on me without an issue.

#38 Roscoe Arbuckle, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

So….couldn’t sleep last night, and I was flipping through Hulu and came across “Biography: I want my MTV”. For an old guy that lived through those early years, it was quite the trip down memory lane. Perhaps it was the bottle of wine, but I started grinning a few minutes in, and the grin never left. Even when my eyes got a little watery. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.