1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MSNBC Today Gov Perry Calling for Invasion of Mexico

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 19, 2010.

1. glynch

glynch Member

This apparently is not an Onion story. I say attractive as it might be to many we need to wait a year or two for a new war till we have more money in the coffers.

Texas Gov: US Should Consider Invading Mexico
    Focus on 'Border Security,' Drugs Behind Call for Troops
    by Jason Ditz, November 18, 2010
    Email This | Print This | Share This | Antiwar Forum
    Speaking today on MSNBC, Texas Governor Rick Perry said the United States ought to consider a military invasion of his neighbor to the south, Mexico, arguing that it was needed to fight the drug war as well as to secure the border between the two nations.

Perry, who is also the incoming chairman of the Republican Governors Association, said the Mexican government would have to approve the invasion, but didn’t see this as a serious obstacle, adding that the new war might be an important part of immigration reform.

The US Military has been talking about a prospective invasion for quite some time now, warning that the drug cartels in Mexico are “on par” with that nation’s military and that Mexico’s government was at risk for a “rapid and sudden collapse.”

Obviously Mexico has been struggling with its drug war for years, but the nation seems unlikely to accept a full-scale US military occupation as an alternative. Given the US is already in the midst of two major wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, on the verge of another in Yemen and constantly threatening another still in Iran, it seems a new Mexican War would be extremely difficult.

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/11/18/texas-gov-us-should-consider-invading-mexico/

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

Thank God we reelected that man :rolleyes:

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

I wish this was surprising, but it just isn't.

how is this attractive to many?

What makes him think Mexico would be alright with this?

What a freaking idiot. I'll get on board when he mans the first invasion by himself... and be off board after that.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Legalization = MONEY IN

Invasion = MONEY OUT

Perry fails.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is so stupid I don't believe even Rick Perry actually said it.

6. ChievousFTFace

God has spoken to Governor Hair during his latest haircut at the top of Mount Sinai and told him to invade Mexico. No mere mortal could ever touch a divine head of hair.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I have no issue with using our military in Mexico if they let us. The Cartels are a national security risk.

8. rtsy

rtsy Member

He said Mexico would have to approve assistance to curtail the border violence (even though it wont work). Actually, aren't liberals against foreign wars to be able to better protect our own borders?

Oh well, too bad worthless Obama and his goons are no better and wouldn't dare touch the War on Drugs to really help solve the violence. What's the haps in Afghanistan again?

Here is the actual interview transcript.

The actual transcript: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3096434/vp/40253566#40253566

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc2b7947" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=40253566&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc2b7947" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=40253566&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Perry makes me embarrassed to say I am from Texas.

10. Major

Major Member

As much as I think Perry is an idiot, I don't see the problem here. He didn't say we should invade Mexico (this is the problem with using Antiwar.com as your source). He said we should use the military to fight drug cartels on Mexican soil, with Mexican permission. I believe we've done that in Colombia and other places before.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Thank you. It isn't an invasion when you get permission first. That's just some pathetic propaganda. A better descriptor would be something like a 'military collaboration.' Calling it an invasion is just an outright lie. So dumb.

I can see how we could potentially help in the war on the cartels. I'm not sure how it does much to secure the border.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Surprise surprise that glynch posts a thread that is total sensationalism based on a terrible source misconstruing the words of someone he ideologically opposes.

Basso of the left.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Sort of like saying how Obama wants to take over our lives. Oh wait, that's propaganda and hyperbole all at once.

14. Qball

Qball Member

You know, I will officially add you and glynch as opening match for the Left vs Right ultimate cage match showdown that I'm trying to get going here. The headliner match is SamFisher vs basso.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I don't think I qualify for the official "right wing" position on your card.

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Member

I agree with all of the above. If the violence is spilling over onto our borders, or there is a clear and present danger of it doing so, I can't see how we wouldn't or shouldn't consider this as a viable option.

As it stands now, Perry is calling for a joint military collaboration with Mexico, not an invasion of Mexico. There is a huge difference there.

Strategically speaking, the Mexican forces move north and the US forces move south, and we sandwich the murdering bastards who have a strangle hold on the land and the populace between us. We then help the Mexican government stabilize the country.

I'm all for legalization and I think it would ultimately have a huge impact for the better for both of our countries, but this doesn't mean the cartels are right or somehow deserve a pass for all that they've done. Mexico and the US both need and deserve justice here, and the cartels deserve to get what is coming to them.

Mexico is our friend; not our enemy. We should work together, and diplomacy doesn't work with the cartels.