1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

MSNBC Mock Draft has Rockets taking Bargnani

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RokitFan, Apr 25, 2006.

1. RokitFan

RokitFan Member

FWIW, I came across this Mock Draft from MSNBC. They have the Rockets selecting Andrea Bargnani from Italy. If nothing else, it's good for conversation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7966511/

First-round NBA draft predictions

NBCSports.com's Ray Glier predicts how the NBA draft's first round will go.

TEAM NAME POS. HT. WT. PREVIOUS TEAM

1. Blazers Joakim Noah F 6-11 227 Florida
    Noah says he is staying in school. April 29 is the deadline to withdraw, so we’ll leave Noah here until the deadline passes. In 2007, Ohio State’s Greg Oden is expected to be the No. 1 draft pick, not Noah, so we’ll see if that has some impact. Tim Duncan stayed an extra year when he could have been The Man so maybe Noah will stick to his decision. If he goes, then what? The Blazers should be through taking "upside" players like Tyrus Thomas after taking so many high school kids. If Noah stays at Florida, the Blazers should get leap at LaMarcus Aldridge, who has some feel for the game to go with his skill.

2. Bobcats Brandon Roy SG 6-6 215 Washington
    Maybe Tyrus Thomas has bigger upside. Maybe LaMarcus Aldridge has bigger upside. But if the Bobcats choose here after lottery determinations, and based on need, this is the guy they get to pair with Raymond Felton in the backcourt. Roy is the best combo guard in the draft and he fixes a hole. Not only was he one of the five best players in college basketball, he takes care of issues for Charlotte.

3. Bulls (via Knicks) Tyrus Thomas PF 6-9 210 LSU
    If Noah leaves, then Thomas has a chance to move up to the first pick. He can fly and is intense, but he was not a factor against UCLA early and sat the bench in the second half because he was no help. That said, he is still a reach the NBA has to make. If the Bulls can get Al Harrington from the Hawks that solves their immediate issue at 4 and they get a terrific talent like Thomas in the draft who they can develop and wait to bloom.

4. Hawks LaMarcus Aldridge PF 6-11 237 Texas
    They goofed by not getting Chris Paul or Deron Williams with last year's No. 1 and I think there has to be an eye on Randy Foye in this draft. But if they lose Al Harrington, the Hawks have to go for a big man and skip past the point guard. Harrington has Chicago on his mind. Can the Hawks swing a sign-and-trade and grab Chicago’s Chris Duhon? Joe Johnson got much better as a lead guard for the Hawks so the thought here is Atlanta grabs Aldridge, not the point guard. Just talking to him during NCAA Tournament, Aldridge seemed like a guy who understood the game. If Noah stays, Aldridge could be a No. 1. Remember two things: the Hawks use Johnson to initiate the offense, not as a pure point and Atlanta has the money to fill holes with a free agent.

5. Raptors Adam Morrison SF 6-8 205 Gonzaga
    Morrison has the desire and he can score because he will chew up a lazy NBA defender who will get lost following Morrison around screens. Morrison will have a lot of appeal because of his name and flamboyance -- not to mention enough skill to get 16 points a game. He probably works harder on defense than it looks because the lateral quickness is not quite there. He is sneaky when it comes to getting a hand on the ball thrown into the passing lane. The Raptors need a big man, but if Morrison is there, he is the best available.

6. Warriors Shelden Williams PF 6-9 250 Duke
    The Warriors will bring a rabbit's foot to the May 23 lottery and hope to move up to 1, 2, or 3 and then, if they are lucky, they might dangle their good luck for a star forward: Kevin Garnett. The best big man available, Ben Wallace, will re-sign with the Pistons. The next best choice is Al Harrington, but why would he want to be part of this franchise? If they are "stuck" with the choice, the Warriors should get a ready player in Shelden Williams who can help their poor defense. They should pass on a wait-and-see talent like Italian big man Andrea Bargnani. He might be a home run; he might not.

7. Celtics Randy Foye PG 6-3 205 Villanova
    Delonte West is a player, but not a point guard. Foye has some skill to be a top 10 player in the draft, but is he a point guard? The Celtics have to be sure. They should be very familiar with the Big East star so they had to see him and assess him the last two seasons. He is a tough guy who can find the open man and play defense and score. One of the problems is the Boston roster is full of young players. You wonder if they might shop the pick to a team that is in full rebuilding mode.

8. Rockets Andrea Bargnani PF 7-0 225 Benneton (Italy)
    Yao Ming broke his foot; Tracy McGrady hurt his back. That's what's wrong with the Rockets more than anything. Houston needs a power forward with range, who can also play some hard defense to help Ming inside. They need some offense to counteract McGrady's injuries, which could be recurring. Where do they get all that? It could be they take a long look at Andrea Bargnani, who is projected into the top 10. Houston has a chance for a home run with this one -- or a guy that will take a couple of years.

9. Timberwolves Ronnie Brewer SG 6-1 220 Arkansas
    The Wolves have just one wheel, Kevin Garnett, and there is talk they might trade him and rebuild. If the rebuilding starts next season then they grab the best available guy, a player like Brewer who can help at several positions like point guard and shooting guard. This might be a guy I am rating too high, but he can do a few things, which helps elevate him.

10. Sonics Patrick O'Bryant C 7-0 260 Bradley
    The Sonics are very young. They do not need to get younger. This is a lottery pick that could be dealt, along with Danny Fortson, for a veteran to complete the team. They have the nucleus of a good frontcourt, but Luke Ridnour is merely OK at the point. The chemistry got better after a change in coaches and a major trade, but this club needs a defensive mindset. NBADraft.net projects Bradley’s 7-footer Patrick O’Bryant to a team with a lot of young frontcourt talent. Go with that, but look out for a move or a draft of Marcus Williams if the organization feels Ridnour is not the answer.

11. Magic Rudy Gay SF 6-9 220 Connecticut
    They have three players to build around -- Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, and Darko Milicic. Grant Hill, the swingman, is often injured so it is time for the Magic to look for a flyer off the wing like Gay. Sure, it is a weak draft and the pick could be traded, but the Magic should get a scorer like Gay. If they can convince Fran Vazquez to come over from Spain (he was No. 1 pick in 2005) that adds depth inside. The chemistry is really good, but I don’t think Gay is a risk because he does not always consider himself the first option. That is good and bad. He just never seemed to be there in the clutch for UConn in the NCAA Tournament.

12. Sixers Rodney Carney SF 6-7 205 Memphis
    Carney is an absolute steal here, but only if teams ahead of the Sixers address some needs. Orlando might decide it likes Carney’s defense better than Gay’s potential. Carney rises high to get off his jump shot and is extremely athletic. He is also a very good defender and can shut down another 2 guard. He has a long wingspan and can rebound. Nice place for the Sixers to start if they clean out A.I. and C-Webb.

13. Hornets Leon Powe PF 6-8 245 California
    Powe can rebound and play strong with the ball around the basket. His knee injuries have to be a concern, but if Powe goes through some workouts and looks fit, he belongs in the top 15 of the draft. If he pulls out, he and Noah will be candidates for Player of the Year in 2006-07.

14. Jazz Hilton Armstrong PF 6-11 235 Connecticut
    When they were healthy with Deron Williams, Andrei Kirilenko, Carlos Boozer, Matt Harpring, and Mehmet Okur, the Jazz were above average. They need inside scoring and some depth on the bench. Armstrong is a threat inside and the best bet.

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

id rather take gay.

3. RokitFan

RokitFan Member

Me too...

of noteable interest...they have Redick dropping to the Suns at 20 and have Yi Jianlian going 23rd to the Grizzlies...I thought he hadn't declared.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Colangelo has said the Raps will go international, if possible, to avoid ugly Americans.

I am looking for Sonics to trade up to get Morrison.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Shelden Williams #6 to Golden State, which has Troy Murphy and Ike Diogu? Rudy Gay at #11 and Rodney Carney at #12?

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont see how the Rockets could pass on Rudy Gay if he was still on the board. Perhaps the same for Carney.

As for the Warriors. What do they need? I mean like Clutch says, they have Murphy, Biendras(sp?), Carbarpaka, and Diogu in the post and the long term contract of Foyal. At PG they have Davis, Fisher, and Monta Ellis. And at the swing they have Richardson, Pietrus, Dunleavy etc.

They have a lot of players on that team. Do they really need ANOTHER young lottery pick? To me the Warriors have a lot of assets to make a trade. If they dont make a draft day trade I bet they take the best available player as a trade chip. They are one team to watch I think.

7. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

I dont know if both Gay and Bargani are available,who should Rockets pick?

Both have tons of potential and both maybe arent ready to contribute right now.

Considering thier position I would choose Bargani.

Gay cant play SG for full-time.His best position is SF.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

W's need to jettison expensive contracts. Baron Davis. Junior (and re-sign Pietras). Murphy (they 'committed' to Diogu by refusing him for Artest + Bierdens is one of their keepers).

They are more likely to package their Lotto and one or more of the above to rebalance their roster. And try to stay out of Jersey in May '07.

9. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Is this an old article? Why do they have GS with the 6th pick? This thing is terrible. They have Brewer at 6'1", and there's no way in hell Gay drops that far. Brandon Roy at the 2? Highly dubious.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Ray Glier needs to handle MSN's home & garden section.

He doesn't even have the draft order correct (as mentioned above)

Evan

#10 emjohn, Apr 25, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be easier to trade Baron Davis to Isiah for Jalen Rose's expiring deal? :)

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

now thats a team franchise, starbury, and the red baron.

73 wins written all over that one.

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

That's a horrible mock draft, chances are this guy missed all of the top 10 picks.

14. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

wow redick isn't projected as top draft??

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

exactly what I was thinking

I could bet, Bargnani will be much better then gay

16. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

If Bargani and Gay were both available I would take Bargani based on the fact that the Rox have a legit need for a big athletic 4 that can spread the floor. Unfortunately I do not think he will be available at #8.

I like what the rockets did last year picking Luther Head. I want them to employ the same stratergy they used last year and pick their estimation of the best available player at # 8, after that - let the chips fall where they may.. :)

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree... though as much as JVG is talking about this "four with range", I am starting to wonder if Bargnani isn't the player the Rockets will seek. I don't know if he would be available in the 8-10 range.

As for Golden State, I wonder if they'll pursue Iverson or Garnett. #9 and JRich/Murphy could make a splash. They and the Bulls have young pieces/assets that could appeal to franchises (like Minnesota) that are damn near rock bottom.

18. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

That mock is a joke. A quick Google of Ray Glier tells you that he's not an NBA writer or even a basketball writer, and it shows.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'd go w/ Bargnani. Gay would also be a great pick but it would be kinda difficult to have him and TMac on the court at the same time. JVG likes 3-guard sets, plus, Gay isn't that great of a shooter.

Bargnani has range. Not sure how is rebounding is, but having a PF that can stroke 3's would be big.

20. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

That mock is almost as bad as some posters are at spelling Warriors' names. :p