1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MSNBC] Chilling Video if you have children in your lives.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by akperez, Apr 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I remember Montell Williams doing this type of stuff on his show. The one I remember most was when they placed a six year old boy in a mall and left him there all by himself while a police officer monitored from a distance as well as cameras. The kid was sitting there balling and nobody stopped, he wasn't screaming just crying a lot. Finally, I think after 10 minutes lpased a mall security guard came over and checked on him but that was it.

2. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

i think this is a good point...i was coming back from a club in downtown houston a few years ago i was driving in one car by myself and a couple of friends were in another car behind me.....i got into a minor accident with somebody else and a lot of people, from a car full of attractive women to some guys wearing baggy jeans and throwback jerseys, stopped to ask if we needed help...i was actually very surprised

now that i live in new york, people are very abrupt here, but they are not as rude as i thought and in many cases have been very helpful, but the point about tuning things out is very true...however, if you ask for help people will usually help you out here from my experience

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Are you Mayor Nagan - Rockets' Fan???? :D

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

show me a real abduction that is caught on camera and the public's response...

you cant gauge these studies based on staged, hypothetical situations...

5. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

This statement is very true.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Don't pretend you know what other people would do. Don't even try.

I see kids "bugging their parents" all the time. I don't hear them say "You're not my dad" and "Help me!" Regardless, even in the mall I've wondered about situations (mostly with kids and parents) and I've stopped and kept a corner of my eye out for a few seconds..sometimes even 2 or 3 minutes.

I'm pretty small in stature, but I have no issues confronting someone in a public place.. maybe that's a little nieve, but kids are a lot smaller than me, so at least I can help them..

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

somewhat agreed, because a lot of people would hear true fear in someone's voice, see it on their face. If acting (esp. a child actress...esp. one who isn't experienced), it's likely that she wasn't very realistic. However, the words and physical actions alone would warrant people stopping, watching for a second, something more than continuing on their merry way

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I wonder what kind of reaction you would get in a different part of the country. I've never been to NY city or state, but one of the reps is that people there are ambivolent to lots of stuff. I remember a story about a lady getting raped in a phone booth and people were just walking by. Again, I've never been there, so I could be completely wrong. But there's no denying the fact that in a country as big as the US, there are different cultures and attitudes in different cities.

Oh yea, the mom was hot.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I've heard the same thing about NYC, I heard about a man getting attacked in a subway station and people just walked or ran by.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I am wondering if we parents will soon have to carry "this-kid-belongs-to-me" cards to be able to prove that the children are ours...

... but then there will be forged cards annd, oh, never mind... :rolleyes:

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

A lot of the fear comes from the news and movies where we see bystanders trying to help and getting stabbed, shot, or just plain ass whooped.
    You have that fear of dying over somebody else's domestic dispute.