1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MSNBC/AP]: Jamie Lynn Spears and the abortion debate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dairy Ashford, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Long article, but I thought it was interesting take on Jamie Lynn Spears, abortion and teen pregnancy in general...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22349329/

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I bet that in most cases a private adoption would pay for an Associate's degree or more. This is not rendered as career advice-- just an acknowledgment of the math.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What I want to know is why it is anyone's business?

DD

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

We should support teen pregnancy like we support poor pregnancy.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Shouldn't be. But once you issue a press release and sell the baby pictures for a cool million, you kind of get the ball rolling.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

How often does private adoption even happen, there are not enough people like that to even make a dent.

As for Juno, nobody wants to see a movie about a teen trying to raise a baby on her own and then not being able to and having to give the baby up to foster care where it goes to a horrible home where the people raising the kid are just looking for government money and the kids get abused etc. They can see that on the news.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Greedy parents. Otherwise, it shouldn't be.

Impeach Bush.

8. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I think social/religious conservatives unintentionally feed the problem of teen pregnancy. It's fascinating how the issues of forbidden premarital sex and unwanted pregnancy/abortion are all tied up together in religious conservative culture.

I'll tell you what- the girls who are the biggest freaks in bed, the ones that sleep around like there's no tomorrow, are the preachers' daughters. The ones who were raised by conservative parents, went to church and had it pounded into their heads their entire youth how evil it is to have sex before marriage... they go crazy for sex once the dam bursts. I've seen it too many times to count now.

If you want to make something erotic, forbid it. The more you forbid a sexual act, the more erotic it becomes in the mind of the person you're trying to control.

These girls bottle up their sexuality for years and years... the pressure just keeps building behind the dam. It builds to unreasonable heights from fear of parents or an angry god. The simplest acts of kissing/petting get charged with massive eroticism. When they finally get a taste of what it's like, BOOM! They're off to the races.

Combine that with no use of contraception because using it would indicate premeditation in the act, and you have high teen pregnancy rates in the religious communities that condemn it the most.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except its illegal to sell a child for profit. Anything above expenses is a felony. This is not rendered as legal advice - just an aknowledgement of the law.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

As if her mother would allow this anyway.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm no religious conservative, but unless you can provide proof of this "analysis" I suggest you refrain from such broad stereotyping

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

She is getting a mil for the baby pictures. I think people just criticize cause they jealous. Imagine being 16 and already having a few mil in bank and your older sister has 10's of millions in the bank. I wouldn't give a f*** what other people thought. If I am rich and millions of people adore me. I would be content doing whatever I wanted.

13. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I understand your point, BUT….
    Fact is society has but celebrities on a pedestal and made them out to be viewed as the ideal role model (people like to......dress…...act…behave…talk... like em). I’m assuming you don’t acknowledge the level of influence celebrities/athletes have on the current generation……

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It's a good thing nobody ever pads expenses, breaks the law, or finds a loophole-- just an acknowledgement of reality.

http://www.adoptionservices.org/adoption/adoption_manual_10.htm

"These (private) adoptions can result in the loss of significant amounts of money. And, they offer the possibility that a child may be "bought" or "sold" to the highest bidder."

15. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Aborting a Spears baby doesn't sound too bad.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

So many questions can be asked:
    Does it severly affect the child's development? Was it the girl's goal to move up in status that much anyways? Are the childs' fathers any more or less supportive when its a teen mom? Do teen parents tend to stray and cheat more? The whole abortion and sexuality issue has SO many factors tied into it, no wonder its an never ending debate.

First the third world comparative:
    In a in a society where woman are traditionally homemakers and don't much access to education and jobs, teen pregnancy might just mean motherhood a couple years early. If a woman was already GOING to have a child and her expectation/GOAL is to have 8 kids like in the old days, not sure why teen pregnancy would be that big a deal there. What if she's a teen but her man is 28 and WANTS the child?

Now back to the US:
    In a society where woman can move up in job status and arent defined by "traditional" roles, where the expected thing is to start your adult life after high school graduation or age 18, then start your REAL life after college or 21, teen pregnancy is seen as a hindrance to progress of sorts.

To me there's only 2 ways about it - keep it or deny it. I say you get 2 false starts, 2 abortions. On the third you gotta keep. By then the girl would be more settled and further along in life by the 3rd pregnancy or when she actuallys PLANS to have a child. It'll be a common occurence in regular conversation - "Have you had any "false starts", are you out of options?" :p

Can hardly consider adoption a middle ground cuz its rarely an option. Thats just so the girl or parents-to-be don't feel guilty about "murdering". They weren't going to be parents anyways, so...

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

no kidding. :D

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I agree with this, sort of. I will not label all religious kids that way but the majority of the ones I know, and I live in a city that has the nickname "The City of Churches", do/did act like this and it is not just the girls but the guys too.

I could go on and on about the cases I have seen personally, know are true from sources, and what I have heard but there are too many cases to count. Maybe not pregnancy issues all the time but wild and crazy behavior is an issue with many of them. I don't know if it hits this group more than others but maybe it is so prevalent because of the background they come from.

19. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Good point. I don't have hard facts to back this up. It's not hard to find pregnancy rates broken down by race, age, and state. But 'churchgoing' or not?

Just personal observation from what I've seen in my lifetime.

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I know you don't mean it this way, but it could have just as easily been a rant about how all criminals are African American or that AIDS is a gay disease.

I've done the same myself, so normally I leave it alone when hyperbole gets into a discussion sometimes, but I obviously know a lot of Churchgoing females and I don't feel it's right to paint them in such a generalizing view.