1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MS Office Ultimate Only $60 Until April 2008 for Students

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A_3PO, Sep 14, 2007.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There were a bunch of links and I randomly chose to use this one. A great move by Microsoft.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/43062/students-only-microsoft-office-ultimate-for-60

Students Only: Microsoft Office Ultimate for $60

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:39PM EDT

I swear, this is completely legit. It's a Microsoft-sponsored special offer, completely on the up and up: For the rest of the school year (until April 30, 2008), students can get Microsoft Office 2007, the Ultimate Edition (which seriously has everything in it and normally runs $680), for 60 bucks.

You get Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, as well as a whole host of extras, including a few that students might actually find useful, like Access, Publisher, note-taking software OneNote, and collaboration software Groove. As Microsoft itself puts it, "the entire suite will cost less than any single part costs on its own." The promo is available in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. immediately. France, Italy, and Spain follow on September 20.

What's the catch? You have to be a student. Microsoft hasn't said what counts as a student: college, highschool, Ph.D. candidate? My daughter's technically a student (she's in kindergarten). If I give her 60 bucks can she buy it? The only way to find out is to try when the site goes live: The offer is supposed to start any minute now at theultimatesteal.com... but as I write this my countdown clock is still in the four-hour range (as I finish editing it's up to 16 hours). Check it on the 13th! (UPDATE: The offer site is now live. Turns out you need a .edu email address (plus other restrictions) to be eligible for the offer. Bummer.)

Also note that many commenters are saying that various versions of Office can be had for as little as $25 at on-campus computer stores, though no one seems to be able to match the $60 Ultimate pricing. Frankly, even if you don't need all those features, it may be worth it to invest in the Ultimate version so you'll have it after graduation.

LINK: Office Ultimate 2007: Just $60 (for students)

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

3. windfern

windfern Member

OpenOffice is free for everyone, including source code. :D

4. WildSweet&Cool

Thanks, but no thanks. I don't pay for software.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I also use OpenOffice and StarOffice but you guys are tough.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Member

Nice Deal!

7. First Lady

First Lady Member

I used Word 07 and that was really confusing. I don't really like the new format at all. Anyone else tried it?

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

My university has it installed on all school computers now. I don't ike the new format either.

9. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

word!

10. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

It takes a few days but you get used to it. Outlook 2007 is the bomb.

11. 3814

3814 Member

The Canadian offer is perhaps even better...either $64 CDN for the entire package or $22 for one year's full-use.

12. Mr. Brightside

At UT- Office, XP and everything used to be 5 bucks for students.

13. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

What happened? I was looking for Office today and found it for $80.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Does this mean that you don't use software, or do you steal it or do you only use free stuff?

Are you using Windows?

15. Uprising

Uprising Member

My guess....stealing.

I might have to try this deal, not sure if I have a .edu email though. They use something like webct for school emails.

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

Meh. I got both Office 2007 and Vista Ultimate from UT for $80. And yeah, Mr. Brightside, the software SHOULD have been $5 each, like Windows XP and Office 2003 were. :mad:

17. professorjay

professorjay Member

Great deal. Outlook 2007 is excellent. Not crazy about the new menus, there's a bit of a learning curve.

And in case anyone cares, Logic Studio (Logic 8 I suppose) was released for $500 regular price. An incredible deal, looks like they're selling so many and they're holding off on using academic prices until it settles down. So I'll be waiting...

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

isnt it really hard to steal from windows now???

19. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Microsoft has been marketing "Student and Teacher" edition of MS Office in Hong Kong for years around US$100. I bought a copy last year off the shelve for my personal usage. I also installed OpenOffice to another notebook but still not satisified with their performance (response time) when processing Office documents (word, spreadsheets and powerpoint). IBM recently joined OpenOffice may have pressed Microsoft a bit.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You can get the Student edition of Office 2007 for something like $100-$120, but this version for $60 has more software in it. It's a great deal. Student discounts on software are the only reason I miss my "student years". Hehe.