1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MPD Shooting of Amir Locke

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 4, 2022.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Where is NRA in all of this? You know the defenders of all law abiding gun owners.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I asked. We'll see if I get an answer.

AleksandarN and ElPigto like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched the video again and will agree with you that they did announce themselves upon entry into the unit. It still was very unclear with multiple LEO yelling. Considering in the video we know it's LEO entering and see it from the LEO 's point of view from the Locke's POV though that would be very hard to identify.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Some more info. The judge that issued the warrant was the same judge that presided in the Chauvin trial. The warrant wasn't requested by St. Paul PD but MPD asked for it because they had reports that the occupant, not Amir Locke, had made anti-police threats. Mayor Jacob Frey after the death of George Floyd had put in a ban that appeared to not actually ban them. He has currently ordered a moratorium on them.

In other local news there was a protests of hundreds at a protest in downtown Minneapolis today and Amir Locke's father called for 22 days of peace for his son.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...9-b23c-450d-8d58-c625ab446d68?ref=exit-recirc
    Judge in Chauvin Trial signed no-knock warrant for raid where police shot Amir Locke
    A source tells KARE 11 Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill approved no-knock warrant that ended in Minneapolis police shooting and killing Amir Locke.

MINNEAPOLIS — The predawn no-knock raid early Wednesday where Minneapolis police shot and killed 22-year-old Amir Locke nine seconds after entering the downtown apartment has led to widespread condemnation of the use of no-knock warrants.

The search warrants and underlying affidavits related to a January St. Paul murder case remain sealed, however a source with knowledge of the investigation confirms to KARE 11 that Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill signed off on the no-knock warrant MPD used to enter the apartment.

Judge Cahill became a prominent judicial figure nationally as he presided over the murder trial of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer ultimately convicted of murdering George Floyd.

KARE 11 emailed Hennepin Courts asking:

“Judge Cahill signed the no-knock warrant that ended with MPD shooting Amir Locke. Would Judge Cahill comment on this, or more generally on how much scrutiny he gives the request for the no-knock and if he ever refuses to sign one because he doesn’t think it’s necessary?”

Matt Lehman, Hennepin County Courts spokesperson responded:

“Judge Cahill cannot comment on this particular warrant or any warrant he signs because of the Minnesota Code of Judicial Conduct's prohibition on judicial comment in any pending or impending cases.”

While Minneapolis police are not saying why they opted for a no-knock warrant the morning Locke was killed, Minnesota Public Radio is reporting court documents indicate that a man who lived in the apartment that Locke was visiting had threatened police before.

A law enforcement source told KARE 11 investigative reporter A.J. Lagoe the warrant that resulted in Locke's death was not originally supposed to be a no-knock warrant. When Minneapolis police were asked to assist St. Paul Police with executing the warrant, the MPD insisted the warrant be changed to be executed without knocking first.

In a statement Friday, a spokesperson from the St. Paul Police Department said it's "common practice" to ask other agencies help serve a warrant outside the SPPD's jurisdiction.

"After the warrants in this case were signed by a Hennepin County judge, the Saint Paul Police Department asked the Minneapolis Police Department to carry out three of them at an apartment complex in downtown Minneapolis. The apartment complex management team complied with the court orders and provided access to the MPD officers," the statement said.

It went on, "Each agency has its own protocols and policies for serving search warrants. The agency responsible for serving the warrant determines what tactics that will be used."

In the aftermath of George Floyd’s killing, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey instituted a policy against the use of no-knock warrants which his campaign described as a “ban.” But in practice Minneapolis police were still allowed to enter without knocking if they announced themselves before they crossed the threshold of the residence they were entering.

The statement went on to say the city is "bringing in national experts DeRay McKesson and Dr. Pete Kraska of Eastern Kentucky University to review and suggest revisions to the department’s policy."

McKesson and Kraska were both instrumental in forming "Breonna's Law" in memory of Breonna Taylor, a Black woman who was shot and killed by Louisville, Kentucky police in March of 2020.

In the state of Minnesota, a no-knock search warrant is defined as "a search warrant authorizing peace officers to enter certain premises without first knocking and announcing the officer's presence or purpose prior to entering the premises." Minnesota statutes might also refer to them as dynamic entry warrants or unannounced entry warrants.

In a news conference Wednesday, Amelia Huffman, the interim Minneapolis police chief, said the SWAT team “loudly and repeatedly announced police search warrant before crossing the threshold into the apartment,” and Locke pointed a loaded gun “in the direction of officers,” which prompted one of the officers to shoot and kill him.

Now after Amir Locke’s death, Frey announced a moratorium on no-knock warrants in the city.

“To ensure safety of both the public and officers until a new policy is crafted, I’m issuing a moratorium on both the request and execution of such warrants in Minneapolis," Frey said in a statement.

Body-camera footage raised questions about that account as it showed several officers rush into the apartment at the same time they announced their presence, giving Locke just nine seconds to react before he was shot.

On Saturday, the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis released the following statement:

The Minnesota’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension will gather the needed facts for the investigation, and no conclusions should be made until the investigation is complete.

Policing, particularly with a SWAT team, is a dangerous, high-stress profession where officers are forced to make important split-second decisions in defense of themselves and fellow officers, especially when weapons are involved. Weapons are drawn and used when officers are faced with significant safety threats.

This particular SWAT team was conducting a homicide-suspect search warrant, authorized by a judge, as part of an investigation of a violent crime. Officers were obviously prepared for a very dangerous and high-risk situation. During the event, as shown in the body-camera footage, Officer Hannemen quickly encountered Mr. Locke who was armed with a handgun and made the decision to use deadly force. No officer goes into a dangerous setting like this wanting to use a weapon. That decision was not taken lightly, and the impact of the use of deadly force will affect these officers, their families, and the family of Mr. Locke for the rest of their lives.

We express our sympathies to the family for the loss of Amir Locke that resulted from this tragic chain of events as well as our support of the officers and their families.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

For some reason, i cant imagine places in Minnesota as a complete warzone to justify no knock warrants.

What are benefits of no knocks...is there data that it saves lives when a horde of highly armed and armored swat swarms into a persons private property?

Seems like the stuff reserved for armed bank robbers and Tony Montanas.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

My understanding of no knock warrants are for either where there is a strong belief that the suspects are armed and will use deadly force so you essentially need to take them by surprise and / or where there is a strong likelihood that evidence will be destroyed.

From local news it sounds like MPD believed that the occupant of the unit had made threats towards police before so would likely be a danger.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So they sent a bunch of SWAT into one man's home and still needed a no knock warrant? That still doesn't sound right given the current political climate.

I understand why no knocks exist. I'm just wondering if that has been updated given how increasingly unpopular they're becoming.

I mean, it's not like the guy making threats was looking for suicide by cop, or was he?

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There has been no official statement on why MPD insisted on a no knock warrant. The judge who issued the warrant isn't commenting due to judicial rules.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They are a legacy of the crack epidemic but to be accurate they were instituted because of the war in drugs in seventies which is before crack violence skyrocketed.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Finally saw the point of footage where Locke is waking up. No way that cop should lose his job. The guy has a full ready to shoot grip on the gun

I feel bad for his family and someone should bring a federal lawsuit to get rid of no knock warrants but we have them and unless there is a problem with the way police announced there presence that seems to be a lawful shooting.

Who would

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You keep arguing a point I have never tried to make.

I am not saying at all that Locke should have known what was going on or that he did something inherently wrong.

My only point is the cops did announce themselves and for anybody to say otherwise gives reason for people to deflect from the real issues with a No Knock warrants.

pgabriel likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not NRA but

bobrek likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Lawful and wrong are two different things. Just because no knock warrants are legal doesn't mean the police should use them. Just because the police officers didn't break the law, doesn't mean they didn't exercise bad judgement and should still be cops.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Is police profession the only profession in the United States where the only way to lose your job is by committing a crime on video?

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

You mean put on leave with pay.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think I have a problem with the officer who pulled the trigger. I do have a problem with law enforcement leadership who think that busting into people's houses with guns drawn to take them by surprise is a good idea.

fchowd0311 and jiggyfly like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My thoughts exactly.

I still question the safety of all those cops being in a tight hallway like that, would not have taken much to put them all down if a guy was really gunning for them.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So it seems the gun Locke had been legal, and the mayor has halted no knock warrants.

I think this issue needs to be addressed, and a spotlight put on it because it's not just a black issue.

It's very telling that you never hear a peep about this from the NRA.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I am very anti no knock warrants. The guy has a gun in his grip. A the, he isn't on the warrant talk, you can't see his face.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

And I agreed with your point that they did announce themselves upon entry.