1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving within Houston - Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lar, Dec 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Lar

Lar Contributing Member

Hi,

I mostly lurk here, but was wondering if I could solicit any expertise anyone on the board has had with moving within Houston. I'm moving from Houston to Pearland soon (from a two-bedroom apt. to a house) and need to select a moving company pretty soon. Just curious if anybody has any recommendations and/or horror stories about companies within town--particularly ones who would do everything (boxing, moving, etc.).

Thank you very much! :)

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My only advice, which you already seem to have a handle on, is to let someone else do the moving for you.

3. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I moved myself with the help of cousins and nephews. I rented a 25 ft Truck from UHaul. It was hell, but I saved some bigtime money. Good Luck!

4. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

When my wife and I moved from our apartment to our house about 6 years ago we paid about $350 for movers. All we had to do is box up our stuff and they did everything.

IMO, it was the best $350 we ever spent.

If you call a moving company they can usually give you a quote over the phone.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I use movers every time I move, it's such a hassle-saver. Moving again this weekend, what fun. Even when I use movers I box the stuff myself, I just feel more comfortable that way (and it's cheaper). Movers are more for brute force labor than anything else.

Call around, prices vary greatly. Also, make sure you call the BBB and make sure the company hasn't had any complaints. You'd be surprised about some of the movers out there.

6. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

http://www.pods.com/

Have never used them, nor know anyone that has, but this is probably the route I'll take when I move early next year.

7. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Congratualtions on the house! I used the three men moving company when I moved from my apartment to townhome. It cost me about $350, but only took 3 hours to do the whole job. Yours may be cheaper because they charged extra for moving my big screen TV and for me living on the 3rd floor.

http://www.varietymovers.com/services.html

Here's another link if you want a free DirecTV installation.

http://www.dish4now.com

8. Fatty FatBastard

If you really want to go on the cheap, get a U-Haul and get some immigrant workers over on Westpark. 3 @ $30/piece should get it done and Voila! Moved for $140. I did this on my last move, and it was pretty easy.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

This is bad advice... Everyone knows the best immigrant workers are on N. Shepard. :p

10. Fatty FatBastard

Riiiiight. Those guys are notorious for breaking the railroad crossing and then lifting the gates back up for a "fee".

No thank you, Bob! :p

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Good luck.

Go Houston!!

12. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Three Guys Moving. I don't have a phone number, but those guys have moved me once and a friend of mine four times.

13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Some ex-neighbors of mine used these to move.

It looked like a good idea, but they mentioned that you still have to move everything yourself, the only thing it saves you on is the driving of a truck unless you are going to put some stuff in storage with them.

Plus, they lost their driveway for a week with a "pod" sitting there.