1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving to Ruidoso NM

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Dec 14, 2020.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Beautiful!! Good Luck!!

VooDooPope likes this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

1) property owner tries to do it all, doesn't use professionals for example, professional cleaning or pro contractors, professional concierge, etc... 2) property owner too invasive, they treat property like their own home because it is but in the process leave guest feeling uncomfortable, lack of privacy. 3) more an AirBNB issue due to "party house" bad rep, but they require extreme verification imo. Background checks, Photo IDs, I hate it and other like me have real issues on the privacy aspect of it. I know hotels also verify ID but they don't keep a copy like AirBNB does or require background checks. Ties into owner who likes to "hover" make sure no nefarious issues occurring. Which I get but I'm not into that **** and I hate being treated as I might be. I just go somewhere else. 4) Pricing, AirBNB Service and Cleaning fees are outrageous and when you add it up you can get a top resort run by pros in some areas.

You're own solution to "make things go smoothly" is the exact kind of place I would avoid. I don't want to deal with someone who doesn't have the background or knowledge of the hotel and service industry. Leave it to the pros, folks like me don't want to deal with folks like me you know.

All that said, I prefer Resort/Hotel, then VRBO, and Airbnb last for all the reasons I stated and more.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've never been to NM (surprising considering my love for peppers...lol), but I'd rather live in a place such as your picture than Galveston. lol. Good decision, hopefully. The only thing I don't like is that the area behind it is a steep slope. Is that a road or a stream in front of that pic with the covered deck with lights?

Yung-T and VooDooPope like this.
  4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I'm not a deep cleaner so I'd be leaving that to the pros. I also wouldn't be a hover host either, don't like them, and wouldn't be one. I'd only make sure the renter was able to check in with ease and had everything they needed. Then I'd go spend some time in the forest but be available if assistance was needed.

I didn't think AirBNB was that much different from VRBO. And yeah some people prefer resort/hotel and some people prefer VRBO/AIrBnB.

I appreciate the feedback.

ipaman likes this.
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yeah for livability I'm 100% certain Ruidoso is going to be far superior to Galveston.

That is the street in front of the property you see in the photo.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. ipaman

You're welcome and good luck!

VooDooPope likes this.
  7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I worked in las cruces for a bit. I enjoyed my time there. Everything is affordable and the scenery is beautiful.

LOTS of homeless people though. Not sure if it will be the same there.

VooDooPope likes this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Definitely need to upgrade the TV tho. Since you're a 99er you'll certainly only get the best LG OLED bc you're pure.

@tinman

Blake, boomboom, VooDooPope and 3 others like this.
  9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

How much snow will you get there? What elevation is the house at?

I'm jelly.

VooDooPope likes this.
  10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Good tips for the OP, the one thing that has turned be away from VRBO/AirBNB is the ridiculous fees such as cleaning, you look at a house and the price seems like a good deal but then by the time you add up the fees its not worth it. Check in time, every time I look at a place in Galveston I could not get in until 4pm, dam the day is already half over.

VooDooPope and ipaman like this.
  11. ipaman

Yea the 4pm check is a huge drag. It has become such an issue for us that we always plan a day prior to unpacking so we don't feel like we wasted a day/night. With Hotel/Resorts, especially as an Rewards Member, you can get early/late checking or at least drop bags, etc..., overall better treatment/options. AirBNB and it's hosts have a long way to go when it comes to hospitality and concierge-like services.

VooDooPope likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

VooDooPope likes this.
  13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

The house sits at around 7K feet. Ski Apache 15 miles down the road is at 9,500 with the top of the ski area being at 11,500 of the 12K total of Sierra Blanca.

Snowfall averages 24" per year anytime from Nov to May. Enough to enjoy but not so much it is a 6 month burden.

(or so I've read when doing my research on the area)

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I agree late check-ins are a drag. Maybe I can control that if/when I decide to put it back into the rental market. I doubt I'll do any rentals until at least next summer as I plan on just living there and doing some improvements to bring it up to my level of expectation. But this is good input because if I do get back into the market I want to learn from others mistakes without having to make them on my own.

ipaman likes this.