1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving to L.A.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kyrodis, Aug 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

I'm moving the family to Lakerland (...at least it's not Utah)

I was wondering if there are any folks out there familiar with the area. I need some recommendations on neighborhoods. I'll be working in Westchester, and it'd be great to live in a town nearby to cut down on the commute.

Are there any places considered family-oriented and safe with good schools? Or do I have to move all the way to Orange County and spent 5 hours a day in a car?

Thanks in advance!

2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I hear Compton is very safe and has good schools. People are friendly there too(just don't get on their bad sides).

3. Kyrodis

Sure...I'll just tell the kids to wear the correct color bandannas and pack some heat whenever they want to go out and play. :rolleyes:

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What's your budget? I don't know LA that well, but looks like Westchester is near Santa Monica, which can be nice. Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Century City (home of "Nakatomi Tower")...

jsut throwing some things out there...again, I'm no expert on LA.

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I've been working near South Bay recently, and I found that anywhere South or West of Culver City is family friendly and a good place to raise kids. Redondo, el Segundo, Manhattan or Hermosa are all nice coastal communities.

culver city and playa del vista, as well as marina del rey are all good too...

it's just going to be a pretty penny no matter where you go...

6. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

I pretty much agree with the above post. I could give you a heads up if you know any areas you are interested in living in.

Westchester is cool so I doubt you'll have any issues at all. Are you planning on buying a home or getting an apartment?

The main thing as long as you dont have to drive on the 405 freeway you should be able to handle the traffic if any. I work in brentwood (same as the santa monica/westwood area, and yes where the famous OJ incident went down), and the commute sucks getting on that side of town.

7. Kyrodis

Thanks for the suggestions!

We're planning to buy. Both the wife and I will be working, so we have the benefit of a dual income...which unfortunately is almost a prerequisite to afford housing out west.

From the research I've done, it seems like one of the beach cities may be our best bet. We prefer Redondo because it's more affordable than either Hermosa and Manhattan Beaches, and there's no airport noise a la El Segundo.

The problem is I've just heard too many conflicting stories about Redondo. Most people say it's a wonderful place to raise a family...but I've read several horror stories describing it as crime-ridden with carjackings & armed robberies galore. I don't know if that's true or if these people are just a bunch of trust-fund babies that find everything outside of Palos Verdes a "ghetto"

I really have no frame of reference, so it'd be helpful if someone who's been in the LA area for years can give me an accurate description of what Redondo Beach is really like.

#7 Kyrodis, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  8. across110thstreet

I haven't lived here for years, but Redondo Beach is beautiful. the farther inland you go(Hawthorne, Torrance, Gardena), the hairier it gets.

but all the families I work with from Redondo Beach are nice, down to earth people. and I am sure you know how good the schools are...

9. ucirat

ucirat Member

i been in LA for about 9 years, currently attending college in orange county, i'd say anywhere is ok beside east LA or anywhere too into the valley with a huge hispanic population, never heard anything too bad abt redondo, the stories u've heard r probably all very exaggerated, since u 'd be kinda close to santa monica, why don't u check there out?

10. JD2010

JD2010 Member

:rolleyes: That wasn't necessary.

11. McGradySNKT

Man don't listen to that crap. Redondo beach is really a nice area and I think that's where Luke Walton has a restaurant/bar at. Im not sure what you're looking for but if you're wondering if its anything like the description that was given to you about it being all crime ridden then just laugh because those people are giving you straight up hocus pocus.

Since you'll be working in Westchester your drive should be fine, a straight shot down Sepulveda blvd and you're there. If its a shortcut you need, you can easily find an alternative route so there are no worries.

The dual income will be needed because it definitely cost to live out here as opposed to Texas or Alabama or anywhere not named New York back east.

12. Kyrodis

I looked at both Santa Monica and Brentwood, but the most of the houses there are outside our price range (as are the ones in Manhattan Beach for that matter). That area seems a bit more urban too...which would've been great 10 years ago, but now it's not really my cup o' tea.

Is there a significant difference between neighborhoods in North and South Redondo Beach? I know North is more inland, but as someone said before: More inland = Things get hairier.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Redondo Beach is great. It's a nice place to raise a family, and great amenities.

Santa Monica is nice and all, but the traffic and parking there is absolutely horrible.

14. McGradySNKT

Man trust me, you'll have no worries in Redondo Beach. I know you'll love it there.

What the other poster was talking about was other cities going east, but even those have good and bad parts, no different than most places, but still nothing that would run you out of the state.

Dont let the talk people give you scare you off. My best friend takes his wife to Redondo at night sometimes just to walk around on the beach and the surrounding area.

Brentwood and Santa Monica are pretty much the westside of town is expensive to live in. My buddy has a 2 bdrm 2bthrm apartment in Santa Monica and pays 2200 a month, ouch.

15. McGradySNKT

BTW, who gives a crap about the Lakers ;) Lots of bandwagon fans come playoff time if they're winning

16. across110thstreet

i would choose South Redondo if I were buying a home...

the area as a whole is fine, though. it is definitely far from the worst place in L.A. to live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redondo_Beach,_California

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

If you don't like Compton, you should look at Rampart. Just a stone's throw from Hollywood and the serenade of police helicopters at night is simple harmony. :D

18. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

2 bites into an in n out burger you will forget anything about houston :eek:

19. YourSecretLover

you get to go on an in n out diet like me!

i lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks :D

20. Kyrodis

Eh...I tried In n' Out the last time I was in LA, and it isn't remotely in the same league as Five Guys.