1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving Screens

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by halfling131, Mar 11, 2009.

1. halfling131

halfling131 Member

I feel like many teams that beat us successfully with pick and roll offense are getting away with a lot of moving screens. I don't like how it's acceptable for the screener to just move around constantly for 5-10 seconds to get into a position the guy with the ball likes.

Shaq and KG do this a lot, and I saw it a bit from Gasol tonight.

It's a problem when there's so much moving contact between the screener and the ball defender that isn't being stopped by the refs. It gives the offensive player with the ball unlimited control over his ability to lose the defender in my opinion.

What do you guys think?

2. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

Somewhat like the traveling that never gets called in the NBA.
    Some players get different kind of treatment, some teams get away with different kinds of bull**** plays

3. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

its unfair when a big man is stopping you to get to the person your guarding.. the refs need to call it..

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It doesn't matter, we didn't score when we were supposed to.. we deserved to lose.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I particularly noticed it from Gasol tonight

6. Persianfoo

Persianfoo Member

I blame Doctor Clanton for this loss.

7. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

celtics do it a lot, pau did it a few times tonight

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Gasol's technique was to pretend like Ron was pushing him around, that way he could slide around where he wanted without getting called for a moving pick. In reality, all Ron was really doing was feeling for Pau.

Pretty frustrating.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

lol...Mcgrady when healthy would have been nice during this game. Artest playing like he has since the Allstar break would have meant a Rockets W.

10. yokel0123

yokel0123 Member

LOL, it really pissed me off when the ref called foul on Ron, while Gasol was clearly moving screening. and that was the turning point of the game

11. halfling131

halfling131 Member

I'm not saying that we didn't play poorly in the second half, I'm just observing something that hurt us on the defensive end...

I think it's pretty important for the Rockets defensively when Kobe, or any other offensive player, can get away from his defender simply by having a screener (Gasol) move the defender around for like 5 seconds.

You're pretty much going to lose your defender if you can get someone to help you push him out of the way, which is the point of this thread.

I guess Les should pull a Cuban and send in tape, or that our big men should start moving skillfully on all their picks..

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

In a degree, you can call a moving screen on Yao sometimes. He comes too slowly for a pick, and the guard (Wafer, Brooks, or Lowry) drives before the pick is "set."

13. bj3175

bj3175 Member

If you notice on the pick and roll that the man setting the pick will roll to the basket after he establishes contact with the player being picked and moves in such a way to extend the pick. essentially a blatant moving screen. The man that has the ball can penetrate or rise up and shoot the J anytime he wants.

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

We can't possibly be complaining about this when you have Yao Ming on the team. C'mon.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Gasol flopped when he was setting screen. Did you see that play when he moved around to pick off Battier and let Kobe made that And-1 shot? He moved and then he flopped trying to appear he got pushed by Battier. But in reality, HE was the one who was pushing Battier.

Yao Ming doesn't flop on setting pick.

16. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

You have to send tapes into the nba office for this to get called.

17. DreamRoxCoogFan

scola sets 'moving' screens in the sense that hes not actually picking a position to block on the court, but rather, the way he cuts across the floor sets a illegal screen on the opposing player while he gets to his position- its intentional, and its not supposed to be allowed, but he can get away with it all the time. there are a few other players across the league who are good at that type of moving screen.

18. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

LOL,that's why Yao likes to play against Shaq.

Shaq doesn't flop,neither do Yao. :D

19. logicx

logicx Member

Gasol was definitely moving/shuffling the feet, reminded me a little of Michael Jackson and the moonwalk: he's moving...but not really sure how he's moving...but he's definitely moving.

You have to go into these games knowing that you're playing the #1 Lakers and you won't get certain calls.

That's life.

20. vernonmaxwell11

whatever, you never see yao do this? he does this the most of anyone. but the fact of the matter is, he doesn't set a good enough screen/pick for any defender to ever care... that is sad...