1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving from PC to MAC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ketchupNmustard, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ketchupNmustard

What up, fellas? I was hoping some of you MAC users could give me some tips with translating from life long PC use. Mostly just quick things that are often overlooked, but help simplify using the operating system. For example I can't right click, and it makes me feel ridiculous. Appreciate y'alls time.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Right click by using Ctrl+click (get a Magic Mouse though if you're at a desk a lot with your computer)

Most keyboard shortcuts are similar to PC, except replace Ctrl with Command (the apple button). Ex: Cmnd C for copy, Cmnd V for paste.

Cmd Q to quit programs, Cmd H to hide them (if you exit by clicking the red button the program is still open).

Cmd tab to switch between open programs

Download Quicksilver to be able to quickly launch apps and not have to go through the finder to open those you don't use often

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Buy a mouse with a right click. Then you can right click to your heart's content.

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I thought all new mac mice had the ability to right click? mine does. Just be aware that when you close a document, the program doesn't quit. You have to physically quit the program separately. I like this better, but it takes a bit of getting used to by many people that switch. - I've always hated waiting for Word/photoshop/etc to start up when I open a document 15sec. after closing the last one.

Other than that, they're fairly similiar in how the operating systems work.

I hope you enjoy the transition.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You should be able to right-click. Go into settings, select mouse and see if you have it set up properly.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

You guys know you can use a two finger click to be your right click when your using a trackpad. Just turn on the setting in your trackpad. If you have a magic mouse then you basically just click on the right side of the mouse (if your settings are right) and it will act like a right click.

This site is also helpful with a lot of the simple stuff.

http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/mac/categories/C7/

1 person likes this.
  7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Why not just drop them in the dock?

Congrats to OP, I expect you will like using it overall.

IBTHate

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Hiding and minimizing are also separate things.

Cntl-h will hide the window.

Clicking the yellow circle with a "-" will minimize the window and an icon will show up down in the Dock.

Don't ask me why.

9. trustme

trustme Member

You can set up right click in settings by doing a two finger click or even designate a corner of the trackpad to act as a right click (mine is bottom right).

10. DieHard Rocket

That works too, but I don't like having every app I own in the dock. Kind of defeats the purpose if I have to sort through it to find anything. Quicksilver allows you to quickly search for and open an app.

Say you have two windows open in Chrome/Firefox and want to look at one without closing or hiding the other. In this case you minimize...if you hide, it hides both windows. Hide is for hiding entire programs and minimize is for hiding windows within programs.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I wonder where this thread will go.

12. Stack24

To hell when someone comes in and can't take it that someone owns something other than a PC. It will become world war 3 and will probably go into the debate section since everyone will start attacking each other instead of just staying out of it and letting us help someone.

I came from PC to Mac a while ago after years of PC, hell my degree is in IT but I don't go bashing people.

Predictable forum.

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I switched from PC to Mac last year after getting a sweet MacBook Pro. Overall, I have found that there are a lot of little annoyances. I still have trouble finding my files, navigating menus, etc. Also, although the Lion OS is probably more stable than a Windows environment, I do get program freeze-ups from time to time, so it definitely isn't the hassle-free Nirvana that many Apple fanboys promote.

I think that once the life of this machine runs its course, I will go back to a PC.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

^^^

Anyways....... Yeah, maybe you should go back to PC..... Just save yourself the trouble of dealing with something that sucks..... Its ok prodigal son, PC will still be there for you when you figure it out....

15. Stack24

I won't bite into a conversation of which is better than the other. I have both Pc's and Mac's so I could care less.

16. DieHard Rocket

At the risk of derailing this thread into the inevitable...

I honestly don't think I've ever had a program freeze on my MB Pro in 3 years. My biggest problem is occasionally (rarely I should say) the machine goes into sleep mode and then it takes several times of opening and closing the lid and hitting the power button to wake it up. Usually only when the power is unplugged though. I also abhor the MS Office product, particularly Excel. Other than that I love it, and I don't consider myself a fanboy (don't have an ipad, iphone).

17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Just made the change myself. Well, on the laptop side that is. As much as I write, I wanted a better laptop and didn't see the point in buying another crappy one, so I ponied up the extra for a MacBook Pro and I love it.

We plan on making the jump for a desktop later this year.

18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Better make the buy soon - word is that Apple will discontinue making desktops after this year.

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

I use both as well, but I prefer PC.... (This coming from a video editor).... Both are good....

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Uhm where did you hear that? Dallas fort worth? I don't see this happening