1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Wes Anderson’s Asteroid City

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

WHERE IS MY LOBBY BOY?

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I think admitting you don’t like Wes is an admission that you don’t get what the big deal is about Brian Eno, right?

Jontro, mikol13, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  3. VanityHalfBlack

Last Wes movie I saw was Royal Tenebaums. Why they keep casting that Jason Swartz dude? He sucks, his band sucks. Wasn’t Rushmore enough? Get some new heads in there.

Jontro likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This looks better …

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Im a wes anderson hater, but i would watch this, lol

Jontro likes this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Looks awesome. Looking forward to it!

B-Bob likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Interesting, maybe in the DC universe, where they want mumbly, depressed superheroes anyway.

Batman: Do you have any smokes?
    Robin: (silently offers open box of cigarettes, perfectly shakes one to the top)
    Batman: (lighting cigarette after fumbling for a while with his utility belt for the bat lighter) I guess we should look into this Riddler thing then?
    Robin: (expressionless) yeah.
    Batman: Yeah. But let's finish our smokes.
    Robin: (not smoking, just looks at Batman) Do you have any of that bat bubble gum left?

#47 B-Bob, May 30, 2023
    Last edited: May 30, 2023
    Jontro, Buck Turgidson, DCkid and 6 others like this.
  8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

surprised nobody has commented on the movie yet!

i saw it over the weekend and i dont think i have ever been so confused by a movie in my entire life. i thought there would be a point where i would understand what was going on and it never came. i read the wiki entry and some other synopsis online and am still just as confused as to what i saw. i really dont get it! what was real and what was the play and what was something else entirely?

i cant even say i didnt like it, because i dont know WTF it was or what the plot or point was! i guess that makes it the most "wes andersonish" of all wes anderson movies!

i dont regret seeing it. it was whimsically enjoyable and was visually pleasing to look at...i was just along for the ride, with no idea of what was happening.

Buck Turgidson and ROCKSS like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you've basically summarized every review I've seen so far on it. pretty sure I can wait until it streams

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I saw it too and I can't improve upon this review. It's no Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Edit: It seemed to me that so many actors wanted to be in a Wes Anderson movie that extra parts got inserted to fit everyone in--the Dafoe/Brody/Norton/Cranston roles seemed too much and too similar.

Jontro likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Now I can't figure out if I want to see it more or less.

Jontro likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

What the hell did I just watch?

By far, FAR, his weirdest movie.

Parts of it were great: Jeffrey Wright as The General, for example. Needed more of him.

B-Bob and GRENDEL like this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

such a wes anderson response. probably his best work yet

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I had rock bottom expectations and finally saw it a couple of days ago: was happy with it, amused, and since I expected it to make no sense, I was just fine with it making not much sense. But ... I felt like it was much more about a story and production than any kind of narrative. Loved the Brian Cranston (sp) voiceover segments in B&W, and I think those were probably the main story, with the rest of it coming out of the musings of the writer. The color pallet(s) worked.

But yeah, whoever said they are sick of Jason Schwartzman, I agree. The rest of the casting worked well for me.

[​IMG]