1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MOVIE] The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SunsRocketsfan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses - panem et circenses

This is why it is called Panem and why the movie is more so one about ruling and keeping public opinion. The hunger games are more than a fight to survive IE roman gladiator style concepts. It is a battle of public opinion.

2. dback816

dback816 Member

Way to miss the point...

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i don't blame anyone who didn't read the book for missing that point. the movie never fully explained Katniss's and Peeta's relationship and why they would receive gifts via parachutes. as a matter of fact, the gifts just seem to come out of thin air. sure, there's a scene where Haymitch appears to be talking it up with "someone" hinting he's trying to win sponsors but even that seemed out of place.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

OH! He was the other person from District 12
    I saw PEETA and thought the name was female
    [I had an old class mate and she had a similar name]

Ok. I will have to look around for them on AudioBook.
    Since no more Game of Thrones for a minute
    might as well do these .

I am going to take it the Hunger Games is just the 1st book
    at the end of the film I was wondering where the next book starts
    [the next hunger games with new heros?] But reading your post
    I see that will probably be the case. . .

Rocket River

5. lightningferron

movie was boring.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I dunno I remember quite a few scenes from the movie where Haymitch was telling Katniss and Peeta to be sure to win over the sponsors because they are the ones that can give you items during the game.

Really their relationship only confused me in the beginning of the movie...the flashbacks didn't make sense I thought.

7. macalu

you're right. haymitch did tell them to try to win over the sponsors. maybe it was because i was sitting in the 4th row of the theater looking up after having a couple of beers but i thought it was difficult for the audience to make that connection.

8. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

155 Million Weekend good lord. Avengers and TDKR probably going to cross that $200 million weekend mark, with the inflated prices. Dark Knight had 156 million with 8 dollar tickets and no AMC IMAX's, so inflated should break records fairly easily.

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

4 more months. fml :(

10. macalu

i know they had to dumb this down for a pg-13 rating. books 2 and 3 are excessively brutal, even more so than book 1. the more i think about it the more i feel it's not going to translate well to the big screen. would love to see what the Japanese/Koreans would have done.

11. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

as a person who did not read the book, if the 'love' between katniss and peeta is forced, why was katniss so genuine about it? maybe the acting didn't fully come through

and off-topic, did anyone roll their eyes watching the titanic 3d trailer?

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This intrigues me! someone here said books 2 and 3 played up the LOVE triangle a lot; I thought they were going to be more 'soap opera-y'. I may have to pick them up now.

13. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Just saw this....

Didnt like it at all.

First of all there was like no real action. All of the action/death scenes were "implied". Either the camera cuts away right before someone dies or the camera gets all shaky and you cant really make out whats happening. Sucks bc I thought the concept was interesting enough, making the rebellious districts pay for their "sins".

(Sidenote, why the eff are we still mining coal in the future?)

I was actually interested up until the actual games started. Then everything turned into hot garbage. I understand that watching movies you have to "let go" a little bit and accept whats happening to a degree. But there were some things that didn't make ANY sense at all or needed serious explanation.

1) If viewing is mandatory who cares about "ratings"

2) Why did Haymitch stop training with Peeta randomly

3) The "alliances" during the games didn't make any sense to me at all. If everyones fighting to the death why would people buddy up? Especially kids from outside districts working with districts 1 or 2.

The only sensible reason to buddy up is if you're gonna protest the games and survive together as a big "F-You" to the Man.

4) What was the reason for the rule change? That was dumb. Even dumber was the fact that it was rescinded later. If the spirit and honor of the games are so important why mess with it.

5) The sponsor packets were a good idea but poorly executed. So a loud ass beeping parachute isnt going to alert anyone but you that its coming?

6) Where the hell did Peeta get the stuff to help him hide in the rocks?

6a) and how the hell was he stabbed with a sword but not killed?

7)The Gamemaker's manipulation of the environment with the fire seemed reasonable but the pitbull/bear things that manifested out of nowhere towards the end was f-ing ridiculous. And how did they suddenly lose their collective appetites so quickly at the end...

Once the games started I couldnt get into how silly it all seemed.

#FlameSuitOn

14. trustme

trustme Member

Is it just me or does this book seem like the concept was somewhat ripped off the movie Battle Royale?

15. trustme

trustme Member

Just googled hunger games battle Royale and it seems a lot of ppl agree.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

maybe you had the special 3D glasses on backwards if they affect your eyes that way. :confused:

17. macalu

i exagerrated a bit on book 3. it's mostly about katniss and her inability to make up her mind about anything. . but if they actually did book 2 justice, it would have an nc 17 rating.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Was roped into seeing this Saturday. The concept is obviously not new but watering down the brutality of what happens just kind of made it Disney in the woods for me. I think last year they had one of those predator movies with kind of he same concept but it was much more gritty but the story sucked. If you mishmashed the grit of the one with the story of the other I think it would have been top notch.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The concept is not exclusive to Hunger Games and Battle Royale...you have Death Race, the Arnold abomination Running Man that was an adaptation of Stephen King's Running Man...even Truman Show had the same elements.

But it was actually a reason why I dismissed the movie at first, because of it's similarities to Battle Royale...but in the end I think Hunger Games is much better.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Katniss is acting because she needs the audience to buy in so they send her medicine. She is pretty much doing anything to survive without hunting the others down.