1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie]The Blindside

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Nov 23, 2009.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Anyone else seen this yet? I didn't really know what it was about going in, but my wife wanted to see it pretty badly. We checked it out last night.

Great movie.

It's the story of Michael Oher, a tackle for the Baltimore Ravens. I was genuinely impressed with the story and the film.

2. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Member

I saw this Saturday night and thought it was a really good film.

This is what I posted in the "Rate the Last Movie You Saw Thread":

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I heard this movie wasn't really about Michael Oher as much as it is about 1) canonizing the lady who took him in and 2) getting Sandra Bullock an Oscar.

Which, to me, is really disappointing to hear.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

It's definitely more about the characters than the football, and Sandra Bullock is the main star. It's still a good story and it is well told on the screen. I thought telling it from her perspective was definitely the way to go.

5. Faos

Faos Member

Her accent and blonde hair are to distracting. Plus I know how it ends. I'll pass.

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

The book was great. I'll probably wait and catch the movie on Netflix.

7. Blake

Blake Member

great book

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

You haven't seen the movie but you know whether it's too distracting?

9. Faos

Faos Member

I've seen the trailer. I'm not a big Bullock fan. It'll make a nice movie for me to watch on HBO eventually.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't the Oher character have only like 2 pages of dialogue or something?

To me that is just shameful. If the movie isn't about him, I'd consider that a fail.

11. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Member

I normally don't find Sandra Bullock that hot but man she looked good in this movie.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm pretty sure I saw the kid who played Oher in the movie playing backup center for the Timberwolves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

He's on screen a lot, but he's incredibly silent in the film. It takes a lot before he's even willing to speak more than a few words to the family. I'm assuming this was the way it was in real life and is why it was portrayed that way on screen.

14. Faos

Faos Member

Tommy Tuberville, one of the coaches in the movie who recruited him in real life, said that's how he was.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Well, it's not called "The Oher Character Movie", sir, it's called "The Blind Side" because of the entire story... but... why would you consider it a FAIL...? Unless they specifically said "we want audiences to hear EVERYTHING Oher has to say" or something like that, then yeah, I'd agree with you. It's just a story, there's no FAIL in my opinion. :eek:

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Well, there you have it!

Like I said, he's on screen a lot, but most of his development is done through imagery, facial expressions, flashbacks, and other people revealing what was going on with him. This doesn't seem all that out of the ordinary to me. I can't imagine a movie about most 16-18 year old kids dealing with serious issues would be all the revealing if we were requiring the KID to talk about it. In fact, that is addressed in the film.

17. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

+1 . She was definitely gettin her rich housewife on.

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Saw this tonight and was really impressed a very good movie. I don't care for Tim McGraw but I thought he was really good and particularly funny. I could not watch the opening scene with Thiesman. I looked away and my wife was like "What are you doing? " I said I have seen this before I'm not watching. She said huh?? And about 15 seconds later when everyone in the theater gasped and groaned she knew exactly what I meant. I have no idea how much they showed but I can tell you if they showed even part of it I know I am glad I looked away.

19. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Member

They showed that highlight about three times, back to back to back (once in slo-mo too). Man, just thinking about it makes me cringe.

20. glad_ken

glad_ken Member

I've heard good things about this movie, but will wait for video to see it....