1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Terminator : Salvation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, May 5, 2008.

1. AGBee

AGBee Member

Did McG terminate the franchise? Let's hope he stops making movies.

2. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Yeesh. I'm all for first amendment rights, but now I'm starting to think exceptions should be made.

3. Red Chocolate

T3 was light years ahead of T4 in terms of writing and direction. T3 also brought some sense of continuity, also *cough* character development, and a sense of humanity. I cared about exactly 0 characters in Terminator: Salvation, because the writing was god awful. T4 also completely ruined the continuity of T3, which had a chilling ending that I thought was well done and also provided for some suspense for the sequel, which McG promptly ruined. Turning the Terminator series into some Transformers style crap should be a capital offense.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

T3 was a piece of *****. Except for the ending where Judgment Day happens, everything else was stupid. The Terminatrix and her red pleather outfit was able to control cars? How in hell is that possible? The scene where the truck flips over is a 100% crappy CGI (they flip a truck over for real in the Dark Knight, so it's possible to do it for real). The story is basically the exact same thing as T2:

Upgraded Terminator comes back to kill Connor-T-800 comes to save him-instead of hiding out he goes to his mom(who's dead now but still leads them to a cache of weapons)-instead of hiding they try to destroy Skynet-T-800 sacrifices itself (oh it also learns a lame catchphrase).

Don't tell me T3 was light years ahead in writing when the same 2 guys wrote T4 (and Catwoman btw).

Explain to me how they ruined the continuity of T3? I see Bryce Dallas Howard playing the role that Claire Danes had and Judgment Day happened, what was missing?

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

T4 was good. I don't understand the hate.

6. milkyecho

milkyecho Member

i enjoyed it. i think some people are expecting too much out of an action movie.

7. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

wuts wit the HATE!

MOVIE OF THE YEAR!!!!

better than kiddyish Star Trek and gay ass Wolverine

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well that pretty much seals it.

T4 gets the thumbs down.

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The problem is that it's not just an action movie, it's a Terminator movie. And as such it should be much more. Hell as an action film alone it still falls short.

I watched T2 last night; first time in a long while. It's utterly amazing how much better that films is....by leaps and bounds. Actually it's not that amazing since Cameron chose to spend a little more time on character development. And of course he's just a way better director. Those action scenes in T2 were a lot more intense and nerve wracking. And shoot, I think the short future sequence in T2 was better than just about everything in T4, save for the Harvester and bikes.

10. kikimama

kikimama Member

Action was great but without purpose, it can't possibly reach its potential. The random "touchy/kissing" scenes between JC and his girl was totally random. I guess they have a formula for these kinds of movies. Even though this is sci fi, they should at least try to explain (in their own way) some of the randomness in it. No way this is better than Star Trek. I had no idea why people like that craptacular Star Trek on TV, then I saw the new movie and am less skeptical. On the other hand, I thought Terminator series was awesome but it's just meh to me.

To those who keep saying "MOVIE SNOBS NEED NOT SEE!" need to stfu. The internet was made for this "discussion/purpose". People acting very manly online, what else is new?

11. droxford

droxford Member

Watched it last night.

wow. The many holes in the story really really killed it for me.

I thought Bale did an okay job of acting and I liked some of the story devices, but there were too many "oh, come on. That's just stupid!" moments.

I'll post more later. gotta go.

12. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5 (it would be a 4 if it wasn't a Terminator movie). Bale played a pretty good John Connor. He was much better than the giant sissy of T3, which was quite annoying considering that Sarah raised him to be a badass.

Here's my problem with dragging the series on:

Terminator 1, 2 and even 3, to an extent, were about stopping a freaking nuclear apocalypse. T1 and T2 involved time travel, great acting, character development and flawless action. T3 was a huge letdown in the fact that the acting and action were subpar. T3 at least proved that judgment day couldn't be stopped.

So T4 rolls along and the nuclear apocalypse has happened... ok... let's make some mysterious "infiltration" terminator walk around for 45 minutes with no story development. What's the point? Skynet already blew up the friggin world. Humans get their revenge and the world back? What a snoozefest after seeing the Matrix 1, 2, and 3 (at least they ended it after 3).

I honestly expected more, but can't really complain since the story was already played out. If you watched the previous terminator you know 1. Judgment Day happened and 2. John Connor saved the world. Until that changes... WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!! This is the new hollywood with no imagination. Let's just pump out 87 sequels and drain the movie viewers of their brain cells and money.

Star Trek was 10000000000x better than Terminator 4 on every level imaginable (and this is coming from a Terminator fanboy of the past). If you liked T4 better, I'm sure you'll make a valuable asset to the UFC fanbase... just buy an affliction t-shirt and turn your hat sideways already. ;)

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you think about it star trek made as much sense as terminator. I mean what was the captains motivation. He traveled in time to get revenge on someone who wasn't at fault. It is not like spock could do anything about the planet exploding.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if moes doesn't like it, then EVERYBODY NEEDS TO SEE IT!

16. droxford

droxford Member

My problems with the movie:

1. I just didn't care about this "Marcus" character. And the story focused a LOT on him and not so much as John Connor. I actually enjoyed Bale as Connor and Was surprised to see the role so diminished

2. It's interesting that the machines can't hear all of the humans' radio chatter. Wouldn't the machines either destroy the humans' communcation towers and sattelites or use them to identify the humans' locations?

3. For a post-apocolyptic world, it's interesting that the humans are surprisingly well equipped. There seems to be no shortage of helicopters and jet fighters, and, therefore lots of jet fuel and runways. Connor seems to have a sweet Sony vaio handheld device that's really nifty and high tech, like he just bought it off Amazon.com

4. It's interesting how Connor just attacked that drone-motorcycle thingy. Isn't the drone one of two (so a second one should be around there somewhere, right?). And aren't they appendages of the giant robot thingy? And so, isn't IT around there somewhere? And how did Connor know that the drone would be driving on that road at that time all alone?

5. It's interesting that John Connor can just ride a motorcycle up to Skynet's headquarters completely undetected. There are no walls, sensors, turrets, attack robots, HK's or ANYTHING impeding him from getting there. (Same for Marcus).

6. It's interesting that Connor can walk up to a door at Skynet, pick a lock, and POOF! He's in Skynet! It's that easy.

7. It's interesting that, once he's in Skynet, there are no guards anywhere, no sensors detecting his presence, no machine gun turrets or terminators in the hallway... nothing.

8. It's interesting that Skynets' computer is easily accessed by Connor without any passwords. It's like they had a button that says, "To free your buddies, press CTRL-ALT-F.

.... and by "interesting" I mean "stupid".

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Man those nukes that were detonated sure didn't emit any radiation or have any EMP.

18. Red Chocolate

This is really so too much to expect from an advanced terminator (especially in a Terminator series) ? EMP technology is pretty advanced already.

They ruined what should have been an AWESOME T4 sequel set in the fallout ruins of LA, and instead took a big steaming dump on it. If James Cameron had written/directed this, it could have been an epic movie, simply because the plot had the inherent potential to be so cool.

19. droxford

droxford Member

Yeah.

Oh, and how about this...

they nuked that place at the beginning of the film, right?

But later, while Connor is rescuing Reese, they knew the EXACT location of them both, right? Did they nuke 'em? Nope. "Let's send one or two robots to kill 'em. We'll also leave all the doors unlocked and all our defenses down so that they can escape."

Couldn't they have at least gotten an actor to play Reese who has the same hair color as the Reese from the original terminator?

How about the end of the movie? I guess doctors of all kinds everywhere know how to do heart transplants. It's easy. Just google it. And there's no need to worry about genetic compatibility or organ rejection. Our make-shift camp has all the facilities we need to transplant a heart and help you recover. And, by the way, if you need any medication after the heart transplant, just let me know and I'll make a quick trip to CVS pharmacy to pick up some Coumadin for you. While I'm there, I'll pick up a loaf of bread and some M16 ammo.

20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I thought the film was a pretty big letdown but most of the items you list are actually explained by Serena to Marcus. In essense it was all part of the plan to bring Connor there.

I hear you about the airplanes and bases, I mean why wouldn't the machines just take it out all these bases? At least the sub was mobile so it couldn't be tracked so easily