1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Terminator : Salvation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, May 5, 2008.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

star trek was much better but terminator was entertaining. I was also sitting there wondering why all the reviews were so bad. If you go in there knowing this is a put aside the brain action flick then I don't see why'd you be disappointed. It's better than T3 at a minimum.

2. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Good action flick. Movie snobs and critics need not attend.

I enjoyed the movie and the popcorn.

Fun movie. Not going to win any awards, but those awards are for movie snobs and critics anyways.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Decent action flick. Doesn't have the fun of T2, though. Also, the plot holes got distracting...

Mainly, why is Skynet programmed with the logic algorithm of Dr. Evil from Austin Powers? It had the opportunity to just kill Connor and Reese over and over again, and yet it insist on bringing them to HQ in order to set up this showdown and give them the opprotunity to escape. Why?

5. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Saw the movie it was pretty good but I dont get how

SKYNET can know who/about Kyle Reese at this point ... In T1 wasnt a Terminator send back to find Sarah Connor n have no idea who Kyle Reese is, if it did wouldnt it had try to kill n reconize Kyle Reese in T1 mainly instead of just Sarah.

In this movie as of 2018 there's no way Skynet should know that Kyle Reese is John Connor's dad or the main purpose of him.

6. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I went in with low expectations (sad since I love the first and second terminator), and it didn't meet them. This was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. Truly truly terrible.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It was just really meh.

It was worth a viewing once I suppose, but nothing seemed to fit, a lot of terrible acting and dialog and the story is still filled with plot holes.

I give it a very lenient 5/10 for guy-movie entertainment factor, but after an hour I wanted it to be over with.

8. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

after t2 the timeline's changed. they pulled a star trek on us.

9. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

It was okay. The action sequences are way better than in Star Trek. But I felt Star Trek was more... epic... like it was a bigger scope adventure. This was kind of a like a TV episode.. small scale.. just with lots of good FX.

The action was great though.. if there was an academy award for action, this would win hands down.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm going to watch it today.

If it really sucks as bad as many say, I guess when it comes down to it, it will probably be the script that is the main problem. When Jonathan Nolan was brought in, I'm pretty sure they were deep into pre production, there's no way he could have significantly changed anything. McG was probably just blowing smoke up everyone's ass when he tried to tell us that Nolan had made a major contribution to the movie.

The trailers have been good, but when I heard about who the WGA said would get credit for the script, I finally looked those guys up and saw that they had written T3 and Catwoman. Alarm bells certainly went off, but I bought what McG was selling.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i watched it last night

it wasnt good

it wasnt good at all actually

BUT

i wouldnt go as far to say it was terrible and complete garbage

Honestly if I were to tell a friend who was on the fence about watching it, I'd tell them to wait till its out on dvd to watch.

some decent action scenes, a very predictable plot but there was none of the suspense and drama that I felt from watching the first two terminator movies.

I would say this is better than T3 but at the same time that really isnt saying too much.

I know my opinion will not deter fans of the franchise from going to go see it, but about 3/4 through the movie last night I kept thinking maybe I should have gone to go see night at the museum 2 instead

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I went into Salvation with an open mind. The trailers intrigued me enough to get over the fact that this isn't a Cameron film and that McG is helming. And whereas T3 felt like a complete betrayal and I refused to watch it (and when I actually attempted to I couldn't stand but a few minutes here and there), I was willing to give this a chance.

Final verdict: mediocre at best.

It's not a horrible movie. I was able to watch it completely which is more than can be said about T3. But it's not the epic it was trying to be. Lots and lots of problems.

1) First half of the movie completely bored me. There was no life to the characters or story. I didn't feel any emotional connection to them at all, save for Marcus.

2) Second half of the movie I did feel better connected to the characters, but then there was a lot of continuity issues.

3) The T-600s looked too clunky. I know they were going for an obsolete, archaic look, but it came off a little awkward. Even the T-800/Arnie Bot felt weird. They didn't seem that intimidating.

4) Kyle Reese. I understand if he has to be a teenager, but couldn't they have picked someone who didn't look like they just came out of their mother's womb. No offense to the actor who played him, but he just s**t on the role played to perfection by Michael Biehn. I also don't like how they shoved this character down our throats. "What's your name kid...Kyle Reese." Did they need that line, no. How bout we just see him as a young solider and through the course of the movie learn that he is Reese.

5) Christian Bale. His performance, save for a few moments is rather unforgettable. But that's not really the problem. The problem is his raspy voice at times. What the hell, this isn't Batman.

6) Central Command. All the officers in Central Command felt out of place. Micheal Ironside is enjoyable at times in other films. But he was completely typecast here, and what's worse, is that he didn't fit the role at all.

7) The actions scenes, save for one, were not memorable.

8) The "I'll be back" line. Enough already. It's too forced and out of place.

9) Connor's wife. She looks like a nice suburban housewife. She's in the wrong movie.

10) The main storyline. Why would the machines even know who Kyle Reese is? Sure maybe the timeline has changed a bit because of events in T2. But no way Connor would tell anyone his father's identity, not only because they'd think he's crazy but also to protect him. And since Reese came from the future there wouldn't be any record on file of him and no connection at all to Sarah or John that the machines could trace. But let's put aside that. If the machines knew who Kyle Reese was and was trying to find him to get to John, and Connor was trying to find Reese to keep him safe, thereby ensuring his existence, then why didn't the machines shoot him dead as soon as they identified Reese?! No one should have known who Reese was, not the machines nor the resistance. No one except Connor.

11) Molten metal is poured over the T-800 and it still functions fine. Yet, in T2, Arnie was lowered into the same molten metal and it fried his circuits and melted him. They made the Arnie Bot, a T-800, more indestructible than a T-1000.

12) Everybody's acceptance of John Connor as savior. Now I didn't watch T3, so maybe there is something in that movie that I'm missing. But at this point he comes across as self-anointed savior of the world. Why would anyone give a s**t about him. He has to earn that role. Let him be another soldier...sure he can be in a position of authority, he can be a high rank even. He knows he becomes humanity's last hope. But let him find his own path. Make him fight for his place. Don't just gift wrap it for him.

13) The dialogue had too many groan inducing moments.

14) The editing was awful at times. It would jump from day to night and back. The one scene where Marcus and Williams were at the race track. One moment it's raining, the next it's not and she's in a completely different location, surrounded by three guys.

15) The score. The terminator theme is a nice touch but is way too forced. It sticks out like a sore thumb; they should have blended into the rest of the movie. As it stands, the music is completely forgettable save for the original theme.

16) Skynet and all it's machines are rather underwhelming.

Basically, this film has no soul at all. And that's the biggest gripe and disappointment.

There are good moments:
    1) The cycle chase actions scene was pretty awesome. It was probably the only moment of the film where I was impressed with the machine design.

2) I like the ending to a degree. I felt Marcus sacrificing his life and the shots of him on the table at the end allowed the movie to come full circle from the beginning. It was a good touch.

3) The second half of the movie, in general was better. Despite some continuity issues, I started to connect with the characters better.

4) Connor's call to Command and his speech to the resistance at the end. That was Bail's best moment by far. It seemed effortless and emotional.

5) Marcus Wright. Probably the best thing about this movie. I'm glad he got so much screen time, and he probably deserved more. This is HIS movie, not Connor's. They should have recognized that more coming into this story. Maybe they did, and Bale forced script changes to give his character more of a role, I dunnno. As it is though, it's pretty well balanced. But Sam Worthington. Great performance, beginning to end.

There are some great moments, to be sure. And those moments you can see that it's trying to be something special, something epic. I really wish what could have been in the hands of a better director.

And the end. I actually wished McG had the balls to do it the way he originally intended. That would have made things very interesting and I don't think it would have hurt the backstory at all. As it stands, while not bad, the end was too cheesy and happy and predictable.

13. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Is there ANYONE who enjoyed T3?? I thought it was a fun movie.

14. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

I thought it was great. Instead of trying to live up to Terminator 2, I took the movie on its own accord realizing that Cameron wasn't at the helm. Going into the movie realizing this it was a great experience with some really incredible action sequences (the early scene where arnold is hanging onto the truck was awesome).

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

This is sounding more and more like a Netflixer.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't get the criticism to be honest. This was a good film that had its flaws.

17. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

same here ... saw it a 2nd time last nite with diff. friends ... still enjoyed it!

story has its flaw but over all was still better than what most have made it out to be.

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

After seeing it I agree with those say it's a decent film, but it did a bunch of stuff only half-right and had a lot of wasted potential.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I usually agree with you guys. Hated Wolverine for example... but man I thought T4 was solid (HATED T3). It was entertaining, good pace, solid character development, and the coolest part to me was how its set up like a comic book. You follow separate characters, separate stories, and it all intersects and intertwines until finally coming together in the ending panels. Neat way to do a movie. I give it a B-

didn't know "Arnold" would be in it!! I wonder how much he got paid for them to use his likeness? if graphics continue to get better they will be using Arnold in movies forever! ageless celebs!

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Would work, too... given Arnold's level of acting skills.