1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Terminator : Salvation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, May 5, 2008.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That would make a great movie!

Seriously, you could argue that Skynet fears making changes too far back, because one tiny change 100 years ago could even affect the existence of Skynet itself. By going as close to Judgment day as possible, they minimized risk to their own existence and dominance.

2. tomato

tomato Member

re: the first thing, I'm just arguing for the sake of logic if that's the path we're going down. Your second point makes sense, but what I was saying in a roundabout way was that the movies are obviously not that focused on being well thought out (the same way Star Trek uses the idea of a blackhole to be a time portal, and yet that was a movie that was actually fun)

Oh here's a movie idea for you, a totally joyless movie where it's almost non-stop action and yet I'm bored to death now THAT would make a great movie

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Here's another question:

John Connor seemed to accept, without question, central command's strategy to win the war. That is using the buried frequency to turn off the machines. But, he's still not the leader of the resistance, he hasn't met Reese yet, he hasn't sent a Terminator back in time. Wouldn't he have thought their strategy couldn't possibly work since, based on what he knows, they shouldn't be anywhere close to winning the war yet?
    He never seems to ask these questions. He also seems to only remember that a terminator tried to kill his mom, nevermind the ones that helped him.

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

No-Prize explanation
    he doesn't seem to have any qualms about having the Resistance standby as he rescues Reese... this could be spun as him realizing the plan was doomed to failure.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hear you. A terminator killing the grandparents on a farm (running time 7 minutes, including the search for said grandparents) would probably be better than T4. I haven't seen T4 yet, but I have to admit I was once hopeful. :eek:

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Here's an even better idea... Skynet goes back in time and dispatches a T-800 to terminate Adam and Eve!

As they all fall off a cliff to their deaths we fast forward 6000 years to a world where Dinosaurs have evolved into the most intelligent life forms on Earth, and are just figuring out how to communicate and make fire.

They could call it... Terminator : Abortion.

Hell, I'd bet McG would sign up in a heartbeat!

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I guess it would have been interesting to see him openly question himself and his role within the resistance give this new information to fight the machines.

8. tomato

tomato Member

It's not that bad, it's just

half of the series was great

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Saw this movie today, loved it! All you movie snobs need to lighten up.

10. tomato

tomato Member

I agree, it's great

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think the idea is that John Connors underlying belief is "there is no fate but what we make for ourselves" Maybe he wants to stop the war then and there even if it means erasing his existence?

Still liked this movie.

12. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

So, we've established that the first Terminator failed and was in fact killed by a waitress. Consider how embarrassing that must have been for it.

But neither Skynet or Hollywood give up on good ideas, they merely try them again when the technology improves. Hence Terminator 2, in which a highly-advanced liquid metal Terminator is sent back again, only this time it's the 90s and the target, being young John Connor, can barely tie his shoes.

Luckily, the original T-800, his balls now safely removed, is sent back to protect John after being reprogrammed by him in the future. They meet up with Linda Hamilton and once again, our heroes thwart the bad guy, despite his obvious technological advantage. Did we mention he can turn his arm into a knife? C'mon.

The third time around, Skynet throws a little something called the T-X John Connor's way.

The T-X has a liquid metal substance for skin, futuristic weapons built into its endoskeleton, and can make its breasts grow at will. Yet, once again an outdated T-800, Nick Stahl and Claire Danes defeat this wonderful creation. Is your disbelief still suspended?

If so, answer this for us: Can't Skynet just keep on trying until it gets John Connor?

We highly doubt that the time machine has an "only three assassination attempts per user" rule. And anyway, why do they keep on trying to attack John Connor at different periods in his existence anyway? Couldn't they send the T-X back to the 80s to deal with Linda Hamilton again?

Or even earlier? After all, why lose the element of surprise by traveling to a time when the targets know what they're up against? It'd make a lot more sense to send the Terminators to earlier in the character's lives, when they were still oblivious to the threat. Get Sarah Connor as an infant, damnit. Hell, even if it was just one day earlier than the first movie, it would still make all the difference in the world.

Honestly, who programmed this ****?

1 person likes this.
  13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I saw this yesterday...it was pretty good...lots of action and decent story...were there holes, of course, but overall a good flick...

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Saw this movie last night. It kinda sucked. I won't even complain about the plot holes or anything. The movie just seemed to completely lack any inspiration. They were going through the motions. They did blow a lot of **** up, si I guess they had that going for them.

Why do posters keep telling other posters to lighten up recently? The folks worried about other people taking things too seriously need to lighten up.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I LOL'd. Good job, but you probably have to suspend belief while watching most sci-fi movies.

16. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

17. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Exclusive: McG says the TERMINATOR SALVATION DVD/Blu-ray will have 30 to 40 minutes of Deleted Scenes!

McG talks deleted scenes

· I ask how many minutes of deleted scenes are on the DVD/Blu-ray – he says 30 to 40 minutes!!

· Talks about the deleted scenes – some of John Conner giving speeches, Moon Bloodgood topless :) , alternate ending

· Says he walks into the frame and shows the storyboards versus the actual frame

· I then ask if this is going to be one of those times where the filmmaker tells me one thing, but the actual DVD will only have a fraction of them. He insists there are 30 minutes of deleted scenes on the DVD

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

yea i know im late.....but i just saw the movie. I give it a B-

In regards to Cameron , thats a cop out. He probably does not have any ideas for a proper conclusion.

I would hope they make 3 more movies that lead to a final and epic ending. James started the franchise and he should end it. Case closed.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's his story and he wanted it to end with T2. At least he's not like George Lucas with Star Wars that continued to make 3 more crap Star Wars movies for a cash grab.

20. Christopher

Christopher Member

Watched this movie today, it wasn't too bad.

I liked the Marcus character. The idea of an experiment waking up, having no idea what it was and then eventually being possibly the best weapon humans had to fight the machines.

At the end of the film when he offers his heart to Connor, I thought that was rubbish. Why would he do that? Why would the humans give up a weapon like that?

Also, the way you had people walking around the Skynet base.....it seemed strange. Even if you take the whole idea that thats what the machines wanted, getting to that base should have been almost impossible. This is where they make Terminators, why not just have an army of them guarding the place?

When they find Reece, wouldn't they just put a bullet in his head? Bang, dead, one less job to do. Not hold him in a cell somewhere!

I looked at this movie as something good to watch, but not an amazing experience like T1 and 2 where.

Its a shame because I think with just a few small changes this could have been the start of a few very good films.