1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Superman Reboot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Sep 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

^ sequel would have been decent, better story than Returns that's for sure.

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I don't think I've seen any of the Superman movies. The demand certainly doesn't seem to be there for yet another big budget reboot.

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Had Superman Returns created a lot of buzz, like The Dark Knight did, I imagine you would have seen it. Batman Begins wasn't a huge box office smash, but word got out about how good it was, which caused DVD sales and huge anticipation for TDK, which proceeded to break all kinds of records.

Same with Spiderman 1 and 2. Good movies = buzz = lot of people going to see it. Spidey 3 was huge at the box office even though it wasn't any good, but that was because the first two were so good that the buzz and anticipation were there.

Superman Returns, as a finished (or apparently unfinished) product, just sucked, and was received accordingly.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'm fairly sure Batman Begins and the 1st Spiderman were fairly large hits financially.

5. Lynus302

I re-read my post and realized it reads funny. Yes, Spiderman 1 and 2 were huge at the box office. I was saying that the buzz and excitement for those two films is what caused this. That they were well-done and good fun superhero movies kept them humming along at the box office. This wasn't nearly the case for Batman Begins, though:

- Batman Begins made $48,745,440 on opening weekend and $372,710,015 world-wide.

- Spiderman 1 made $114,844,116 on opening weekend and $821,708,551 world-wide.

- Superman Returns made $200,081,192 on opening weekend and $391,081,192 world-wide.

(Source for all is www.boxofficemojo.com)

Batman Begins is pretty much universally considered to be a good film yet it did the worst of the three by far. It didn't have nearly the buzz. Then word got out, it received a Cinematography Academy Award nomination, and the excitement level for TDK was ENORMOUS, and the numbers for TDK reflect that: $158,411,483 opening weekend and $1,001,921,825 world-wide.

Spidey 1 had a lot more buzz and was a good, fun superhero movie, and the numbers reflect that.

Superman Returns had a big opening weekend and then fell flat on its face. Because it was freaking terrible.

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Yea perfect Sequel to lead into Superman 3 where Braniac and Doomsday team up to plot against Superman. However, somehow/someway Supes wins in the end.

7. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Yea perfect Sequel to lead into Superman 3 where Braniac and Doomsday team up to plot against Superman. However, somehow/someway Supes wins in the end.

None of this fighting humans business...Nolan needs to make the villain Braniac in this one to capture an audience and major buzz leading into Supes 3 and possibly Supes 4.

*excuse the double post*

8. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HmIxXGEfz-Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HmIxXGEfz-Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Turn this into movie!

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

WOW...Just WOW :grin: :eek: :grin: :eek:

10. Lynus302

Holy crap I just got a geek chub that was awesome.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Posted that back in July. Here's the discussion thread. Apparently the online beta access is free with a Playstation Plus subscription.

http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showthread.php?t=190884&highlight=online

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

the new Supes

IKKI FINKE AND MIKE FLEMING | Sunday January 30, 2011 @ 12:13pm EST
    Tags: Brandon Routh, Brett Ratner, Bryan Singer, Christopher Nolan, Clark Kent Superman, Henry Cavill, Jeff Robinov, McG, Superman Henry Cavill, Superman Zack Snyder, Warner Bros Superman
    COMMENTS (10)EMAIL THIS | PRINT THIS |

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures have found their new Man of Steel. Deadline had been hearing for the past weeks that British actor Henry Cavill was the frontrunner for the much coveted Clark Kent/Superman role in this much anticipated reboot. But as of last week, Warner Bros film chief Jeff Robinov hadn't seen Cavill's or the other screentests and made his decision in recent days. Repped by CAA, Cavill just wrapped production on The Cold Light of Day and stars in the upcoming Immortals, opening this fall. Directed by Tarsem Sing, Caville in Immortals plays the he-man Greek warrior Theseus who battles mythological gods including Poseidon, Zeus, Minotaur, and Herecles.Given that set up, Warner Bros clearly has chosen a more macho leading man for Superman than the previous Brandon Routh. And just like it did with Christian Bale in the Batman reboot, the studio has gone with a British actor. In fact, Cavill also auditioned for the Batman role but lost out to Bale in 2005. He also was a contender for James Bond but was deemed too young and lost out to Daniel Craig. Clearly, Cavill is a franchise waiting to happen. He also has a past with Superman. Before Bryan Singer came on to direct Superman Returns and cast Brandon Routh, Cavill had been one of the frontrunner choices for directers Brett Ratner and McG when they were going to helm the picture. That Superman was younger, and this time, the intention was to cast an actor near 30. Cavill will be 28 this year, so things worked out just right for him.

The new film from Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures is being produced by Christopher Nolan and directed by Zack Snyder, who made this statement: “In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen. I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield.” Cavill was born in the Channel Islands and his film credits include The Count Of Monte Cristo. Other producers include Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, and Deborah Snyder. The screenplay is being written by David S. Goyer based on a story by Goyer and Nolan. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers. The new Superman is targeted for release in December 2012.
    [​IMG]

13. rockets934life

Dude looks the part and from, what I've heard, is a good actor soooo...

14. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

Good choice but he's only 6'1 shouldn't superman be like 6'5?

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

6'1 in Hollywood is massive; on screen he will look like a giant.

Will Smith and Ryan Reynolds are only 6'2 and they look much larger than that in their movies because everyone around them are munchkins.

16. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

Yea, thats true..
    Well since casting Henry Cavil as Superman is official, I'm pretty sure the casting announcement for Lois Lane is just around the corner...

(in no particular order)
    1.Rachel McAdams
    [​IMG]
    2.Olivia Wilde
    [​IMG]
    3.Evangeline Lily
    [​IMG]
    4.Sarah Shahi
    [​IMG]
    5.Jessica Stroup
    [​IMG]

17. rockets934life

Stroup looks ideal but never seen her work and I want an actress this time, the chemistry between Routh and Bosworth was horrible in Returns and the movie suffered for it.

Side note - Always thought Lily would be prefect for Wonder Woman.

18. toby

toby Member

19. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

20. droxford

droxford Member

^^^ Superman.... with thinning hair?