1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Superman Reboot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Sep 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Some allowances have to be made from the get-go re: what is considered "realistic" because Superman is an alien himself, so I don't see why Darkseid couldn't be done in the same vein. They could use a really big guy as the physical actor with someone else as the voice. It worked fine for David Prowse and James Earl Jones as Darth Vader.

Or am I missing something else?

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well the thing isn't so much that it can't be done but the powers that be. We already know Nolan does not like to use CGI and Darkseid would have to be CGI or atleast most of him, kind of like what Ryan Reynolds will have to do with the GL suit. If I understand correctly, Nolan and his brother will be focusing more on the Clark Kent side of Superman rather then Kal-El so there is the first hint that Nolan is going for realism within Supes confines.

You could do Darkseid as a REALLY big size persona but then you risk it looking a bit odd and cartoonish which I am sure won't be the goal of these movies. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing I'd rather see then the big guy but just do not see it from Nolan's history and even Snyder's history with 300 and Watchman.

3. rockets934life

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/05/david-goyers-superman-story-revealed/

4. rockets934life

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47625?_r=true

5. Lynus302

6. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Good that they're making progress (hope it's not too rushed). Superman has about 30 years of development in comic and animated continuities just begging to be brought the big screen (especially the reinventions of Luthor/Metallo/Braniac, and the ascension of Darkseid). Here's hoping we get to see it.

Though I have to admit I'm not too enthused to see Zod. he's a boring character to me.

7. Apps

Apps Member

Great to hear that Zod is going to be in this! I love Superman, though I know he kind of gets a bum rap for being too invincible and whatnot.

Kneel before Zod. :mad:

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The best stuff about Superman is the fun stuff, the whimsical stuff, the stuff that's never in the movies. Mr. Mxylptlk. Toyman. Terra-Man. Bizarro. Even Parasite.

I'd like a Bizarro movie better than anything. Throw in a wicked version of Mxylptlk - more anarchist than prankster and it might be the most fun superhero movie of all time.

Couldn't care less about Luthor, Brainiac, Darkseid, Doomsday, Metallo, Vandal Savage or Zod (though he and Luthor are much more interesting than the rest). They are all generic bad guys compared to Superman's truly strange rogues.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe its just me but I really don't get a good feeling about this movie.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have never liked a single live-action Superman movie, even the originals. Superman just doesn't translate to the big screen with real actors imo.

What I wish DC would do is continue their animated projects which have been awesome, but go full adult with them and get script writers to put together full length films that are even heavier. I wish Marvel would do this too.

Turning Age of Apocalypse into a dark cartoon on Spike or something would be awesome. Or a movie about the Mutant Massacre.

SUPER super heroes just work better as cartoons imo where their powers can be utilized.

11. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't understand how they are rebooting this again. I thought the most recent movie did well at the box office? Now, they are going to get another guy to play Superman and do another reboot?

I just read on Wiki that it did $391,081,192 worldwide and that the Warner Bros. President (at the time) complained it should have done $500,000,000 worldwide. A new WB President comes in and says we don't think the film quite worked the way we wanted it to. There were also jabs about not enough action sequences in the film to satisfy younger audiences.

WB is a bunch of greedy bastards. They should point the finger at themselves for approving a film they apparently weren't fully on board with. I hope the reboot backfires on them. I won't pay to see it.

Superman has become a revolving door.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The last one was horrible. Even though it made a ton i still think it was considered a turd.

14. Lynus302

It would have made $500 million. If it didn't suck. All it had to be was marginally good, and it wasn't even close to that. Superman didn't even punch anyone in the whole movie.

Superman Returns just flat-out sucked. And it shouldn't have.

15. rockets934life

It did okay but the movie itself had many flaws. Superman the brand made that money not the movie itself. The special effects were fantastic but the story left tons to be desired. The chemistry between Lois and Clark was not there and while Spacey was actually pretty good as Luthor, it felt like I was watching a crappier version of the 2nd half of Superman The Movie.

They needed new blood and a fresh start, pulling away from the Richard Donner version of Superman into a new image that could somewhat relate to today's audience. Routh was actually okay in it and I wouldn't mind seeing him again but doubt they want to be associated with any of the first 5 movies, thus the iconic score being changed.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

A lot of stupid critics and people out there I guess. Rotten Tomatoes has a 74% critics liked it and 67% of regular people liked it.

I get your point. Yes, it wasn't all that great. But, apparently, a lot of people did like it.

I don't think Superman was necessarily miscast. I think everyone else around him was. But, I dunno.

It's hard to keep a franchise going if there is no continuity to the actors playing the characters imo. If the next one tanks, then Superman might as well just die and go away.

17. Lynus302

I think he was too young for the part. I envision Superman around 30-32; 35 at the oldest. Routh himself did well enough, but he looked like a college kid to me. Spidey should be a young guy. Superman should be a man.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Just wait until one corporation acquires both the Marvel and DC license.

Batman &
    Wolverine &
    Neo
    In the Matrix
    Summer 2028
    In HIDEF3DSMELLVISION
    Ticket price is two punches on your entertainment ration card
    Curfew by 11PM
    Violators will be shot on sight

19. rockets934life

[​IMG]

20. rockets934life

This is what Bryan Singer's Man of Steel would have looked like...

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10633&Itemid=71