1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie]Straight Outta Compton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Dec 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Watched it the other night. Damn great movie 9.5/10

All that great music made it an even better experience. Plus I can't believe how busy it was for that movie on a Sunday night. Sold out. F. Gary Gray did a phenomenal job directing, and Ice Cube's son was fantastic in the movie. Good balance of drama and humor.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I could not beleive it was 2.5 hours
    I thought they still could have added another 30 ~60 minutes

Rocket River

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you going to wait in line for the movie about those dudes who sing
    WHUMP THERE IT IS

4. tinman

Supporting Member

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yep, they are heroes! Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of guys.

Except of course for the whole misogyny and beating of women thing.

I want to see this move and will probably enjoy it, but from all indications this movie appears to lionize them without even touching their disgusting attitudes and actions towards women. Which isn't a surprise considering the movie was only done with their approval, giving it a tone of in-authenticity from the get-go.

6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

the only thing missing is showing their dark sides, but you said it, to be expected since...

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Since I already knew that Dre and Cube were part of the production team, I assumed it'd be a bias account which painted them in the best light.

It does, I'm more surprised people didn't have an issue with the length. I thought it got terribly unfocused after the group broke up.

It turned into a travelogue of the 90s rap game. I was familiar with a lot of the stories but it kind of just went on and on....for my taste at least....

8. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Saw it, great movie.. 10/10 for sure. If you remember those 90's song, you will be singing along for sure.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

A biopic that leaves out the worst parts about people. What a shocker!!!

The movie doesn't cover Dre being physically abusive towards women (I don't think others in the group were....Cube wasn't) but you don't walk out of the theater thinking they have a lot of respect for them.

10. DCkid

I think that would be pretty obvious based on Ice Cube's recent quotes.

Thought maybe they would fess up to just being immature...exaggerating for entertainment purposes and because that's just the nature of rap music. But then I read this quote and am like "nope"...they just really have a pretty ignorant negative attitude toward women. And from what I've read, the movie doesn't even really touch where that hatred comes from.

And yeah, it was their worst part, but it was also a very large part of who they were. A huge part of their catalog is specifically about demeaning women. Would have been interesting to at least touch on where that came from.

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Ice Cube has never been in trouble or beat women. He has been with his wife for over 20 years. Ice Cube is just talking about the ratchet girls out there. We know those. And like in his quote, there are guys like that to. We know those people too. Dr. Dre has beat women and has said in a couple of interviews of how many messed things he did when he was younger and that he is sorry for it. He to though has been with the same woman for 20 years. Like what was said in the movie, they are just being brutally honest. I don't think we should still crucify them for it.

12. DCkid

Yeah, I don't know. Could just be a case of "in-eloquence", but his quote is pretty bad. You're either a hoe, a b****, or an upstanding women according to him and there's really no in between. Wonder what that fine line is? No different than one dimensionally labeling a black male who commits a crime a thug and nothing else. Nobody seems to agree with that line of thinking, so don't know why it should be okay to do the same with women.

Anyway, I don't care enough about this enough to bring it up much more. It's entertainment.

13. Icehouse

That's actually not what his quote says. He basically says it you aren't one of those types of women then don't trip because I'm not talking about you, in the same manner that I won't trip off TLC singing about scrubs because I'm not one.

14. DCkid

Haha, if that's how you took it. I took it more as "if you're not a perfectly upstanding women based on my opinion of what that consists of, then you shall be labeled b**** or a hoe." But we'll agree to disagree.

And sorry, you're not going to convince me that Ice Cube has respect for women. :) And that's fine...everyone has flaws. Also, comparing some of TLC's scrubs lyrics to the stuff Ice Cube says in his songs is downright laughable.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

What about Luther Campbell?

16. Victorious

Victorious Member

Well you can always wait for Lifetime's Unauthorized Life of N.W.A.

smh people cant just enjoy a movie anymore

17. tinman

Supporting Member

When i watched godzilla, they never spoke off the environmental damage and human lives destroyed.

18. Icehouse

I think Cube respects women as much as the average male that was in a popular music group. Most appear to be getting as much as they can, whether or not they rap about it. I don't recall him ever being in trouble for violence towards women, he's been married to the same woman from jump and she manages his business affairs.

19. DCkid

Sorry for being critical of a movie you liked.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

If you want a movie where women are treated highly, watch the 2 live crew movie