1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie]Straight Outta Compton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Dec 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Remii

Remii Member

He was also in the two Breakin movies.

2. what

what Member

You probably know about this because Reckless was the first song Eminem ever heard. LOL

3. Remii

Remii Member

I was actually going into my teenage years around that time. But no need for you to be disrespectful because you're dumb enough to think 2 Live Crew was the jump off group for gangsta rap. Lol...

4. what

what Member

And you still think gansta rap is superior to 2 Live Crew's "party" rap. Lol

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That is just an opinion. But most would say that yes, NWA rapped about more "real" things than 2 Live and their club music.

6. what

what Member

Ding ding ding. Winner.

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Saying 2 live started gangsta rap isn't though and is flat out wrong. How many people are you going to go against before you realize this?

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You've been claiming that gangster rap was borne out of 2 Live Crew, then you said it wasn't popular until the Abercrombie era.

9. what

what Member

LOl, where did I say that?

I said they PAVED the way for it. Never said they started it at all. They didn't even rap about the gansta lifestyle.

I hope you understand the difference here? If you don't, I am not sure what to tell you. However, what I think is the problem is that you seem to think that 2 Live Crew's music was so "mainstream, bad, etc" that you can forget about it and remove it from the history of rap and that NWA, and others came outta nowhere (or compton) without a hint of the past (certainly not 2 Live Crew) behind them.

10. Remii

Remii Member

I'm sure to a white suburban kid like yourself who's rap experience consisted of 2 Live Crew and Tone Loc it's not... Heck, after their 1st two albums white folks and strippers is who 2 Live Crew mainly catered to. That was their main audience outside of Florida. Lol...

But what's superior was never the argument... You tried to argue without 2 Live Crew there would be no Gangsta rap which has been proven wrong.

11. what

what Member

compared to you who has a rap doctorate in applied rap gansta theory. lol

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Comments like this betray your desperate attempt to shoehorn these events into some kind of intellectual or historic paradigm when it's literally just album sales, song lyrics and a very basic and publicly observed and documented timeline.

13. what

what Member

actually it's about a lot more than those things. Nasty as I Wanna Be was the first album to have been labeled obscene.

They were the first to put parental advisories on albums. First to put out clean versions of songs.

But whatever, you guys have your own versions of it.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Ice T was the 1st to get a explicit content sticker and that was in 87... I already stated that in a post.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Straight Outta Compton*is often considered one of the first records to really make use of the “Parental Advisory” sticker. For similar reasons as to why Guns N’ Roses’*Appetite for Destruction*would climb the charts that same year, N.W.A. found great profit in how they made good music that happened to contain angry four-letter words. Inner-City minorities related to it, suburbanite kids possibly loved it even more, and public officials were outraged by it http://ppcorn.com/us/n-w-a-straight-outta-compton-album-review/

And the NWA album came out before the 2 Live Crew album you keep referring to.

16. what

what Member

Moving Something was the album that was first put in clean and explicit versions, 2 Live Crew was the first rap group to find themselves in the cross hairs of the parental advisory committee and 2 Live Crew actually put stickers on their albums to distinguish the clean version vs the explicit version.

The quote you are referencing has to do with the idea that a parental advisory sticker might appeal to kids and they were the first to make use of that.

None of those albums were labeled obscene like 2 Like Crew's was for a reason. It was because 2 Live Crew had already fight that battle and won.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you go to the cheap strip club yet?

18. Remii

Remii Member

Don't you mean 'Move Somethin'... Lol... And so what if it had two versions. That has nothing to do with gangsta rap/hardcore rap and Ice T had the 1st album with a warning sticker, Boogie Down _ Criminal Minded and others dropped their albums the same year. Too Short dropped his album Born To Mack in 87 as well (he's the 1st guy I remember to use the word bytch excessively in a song).
    ---Too Short _ Dope Fiend Beat https://youtu.be/SMIwBdOHuHc
    ---Too Short _ Freaky Tales https://youtu.be/ZYy8FOAVMsU

2 Live Crew was popular amongst the white demographic but album release dates show they had nothing to do with opening the door for gangsta rap. As a matter of fact _ I'd be surprised if you found a 2 Live Crew album on the 50 to 100 best hip hop albums _ but you will find a NWA album (maybe 2).

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe somebody trolled the NWA movie thread with 2 live crew

go start a 2 live crew movie thread

then go find someone who would actually watch it

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Lol at what ruining this thread

Remember paying someone $5 to go to Hastings to buy me Eazy Duz It and Straight Outta Compton on cassette tapes. Had to listen to them on my awesome auto-reverse Sony sport Walkmen because my mom would've freaked out as I was in junior high

Def gonna see this movie