1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie]Straight Outta Compton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Dec 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Well then, baby, you're a rich man.

2. what

what Member

That's because you think the way people think TODAY about NWA is the way they always thought about NWA. That's your problem with this argument and your problem in life. But that's beside the people.

Just because people are ignorant to who was more influential, don't make your position any less desperate.

But let me humor you a but. Here, why don't you read this rolling stone article about the ground breaking Nasty as They Wanna Be, and then you tell me.

The things you take as a given in rap was a direct result of this album.

Right now you just appear to be a superfan of Gansta Rap and are trying to defend it as the superior version of rap.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Without 2 Live Crew gangsta rap would have never hit the mainstream -- to claim this isn't true is like throwing water balloons at a forest fire.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. KingCheetah

<iframe width='640' height='360' scrolling='no' frameborder='0' src='https://screen.yahoo.com/2-live-crew-party-000000829.html?format=embed' allowfullscreen='true' mozallowfullscreen='true' webkitallowfullscreen='true' allowtransparency='true'></iframe>

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Damn, you sure do jump to so many conclusions. I'm not a superfan of gangsta rap. I just can understand when one group was more influential and popular (both in the past and present) than another. Your fondness of 2 Live Crew has clouded your memory. They did their thing, but weren't NWA.

7. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I heard bigtexxx was taking everyone in the D&D to see this movie.

8. what

what Member

NWA has grown in popularity since they first came out while 2 Live Crew have diminished in popularity.

What I don't understand is why you think that NWA was such a superior group while making the claim that my memory is clouded.

I am nearly positive that you weren't even born when 2 live crew or nwa came out, or at least not old enough to know the difference between the 2.

Oh and your moniker scareface281 (but I'm supposed to believe you aren't a superfan of the gritty gansta ("real") rap. Okay buddy.

Just go on and be ignorant.

9. VanityHalfBlack

Hah! Did you go to Jones Link Elementary school in north side? It's probably you!!! LOL.

10. VanityHalfBlack

Don't forget Too Short!!!!

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Why not drop a Scarface song?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z1naWK2BEas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But yes, NWA was superiour (for pop culture, legacy, controversy) and it is not even debatable... We are just going in circles because your opinion on who was more popular won't change.

#52 Scarface281, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  12. KingCheetah

I agree with your point, but please don't talk about yourself in 3rd person -- making an ill post about rap is one thing, but using illeism in the post convolutes the message.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

what/KingCheetah,
    are your comments coming from a white/suburban/mainstream POV or do you believe your views represent what black kids in the hood thought as well ?

14. Remii

Remii Member

Ice Cube still pops on the scene every now and then.
    Gangsta rap made me do it https://youtu.be/HzeZhCt5PVA

Lol... Now that's ridiculous. You must have grew up in Florida and or along the east coast. The Chronic album is arguably the best rap album ever and it's gangsta rap and it came out in 92... And Gansta rap is what helped make the movie Boys N the Hood a hit which came out in 91... And Ice T dropped 'Rhyme Pays' with '6 in the morning' in 87 and that album was the 1st hip hop album to have a explicit content sticker thanks to 2 Live Crew... And that's where 2 Live Crew gets credit _ for ushering in the explicit warning sticker.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Correction... 6 in the morning came out in 86. And I forgot to mention the movie 'Colors' that came out in the late 80's.

16. KingCheetah

I had a gangsta upbringing where each day was life or death -- it was either hustle or die. Looking at NWA's history they really aren't 'gangster' to be honest -- if they were then how could a modern alt rock band remake one of there classic songs into a sweet tale of friends growing up together in the suburbs?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aeL9gagV_VA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. what

what Member

Do you believe that black kids in the hood only cared about NWA's gansta rap?

Again, your comment comes from a place where you believe that NWA was more "thug" and scary to the suburban moms and dads white kids, and that 2 Live Crew was more palatable.

And again, you'd be misinformed. I doubt any suburban mom's and dad's even knew who NWA was, they were that small of a group.

But they DID know about 2 Live Crew and they didn't like that group at all. 2 Live Crew was MORE vuglar and more hated in middle america than NWA ever was.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I actually didn't make a comment at all. I asked a question. The reason I ask is because culturally the place where the music was coming from is very different than the majority of the people who consumed it.

I'm not from that era but my brothers (both DJ's) were and I have plenty of friends and family who are and we talk about music and rap, specifically, a lot.

So, in a lot of ways, I agree with you. 2 live crew was crazy popular and significantly more vulgar and more hated in middle america. From a legal standpoint, they were a blueprint. But, I believe your description of NWA is incorrect. Maybe to middle america, NWA and gangsta rap came from nowhere and was derivative of 2 live crew. To black people the 2 live crew's raunchy style was much more of an aberration. That wasn't really a style of music people listened to all the time and it didn't really resonate with everyone other than for it's obvious novelty. On the other hand, gangsta rap (or just rapping about hood reality) was percolating all over the country and NWA was the first to blow up on that scale. Gangsta rap was going to happen to America, period. Apparently, at the time, there was tons of underground regional gangsta rap being played at parties.

Also, the reason I made the white/black distinction is that I think the "shock value" of both groups was more important to white america while black america was/is considering the music impact. NWA are considered rap pioneers because of their music. Many rappers even today will cite them as an influence, almost no one cites 2 live crew as an influence. They were a novelty. And, almost everyone I know is ashamed to say they liked them. Also, maybe unfortunately, lots of black parents were younger and just more cool with rap in general. My parents were ok with us listening to gangsta rap but not 2 live crew or anybody who copied them.

19. what

what Member

So you are speaking for every black person in America and they all think this way?

While I am not going to go as far as you seem to be able to with your knowledge of black people, I knew many black people when I was grouping up that HATED the image that gansta rap portrayed.

While conversely, I knew many white kids that idolized the gansta rap lifestyle.

Also, I doubt you'd find any rappers today or back then that wouldn't hold tremendous respect for 2 Live Crew.

Just saying man. I don't really think you know what you are talking about.