1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie]Straight Outta Compton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Dec 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Remii

Remii Member

Lol...!!! Paul Mooney movie review ---> https://youtu.be/oE4XK2YZL9Y

2. what

what Member

This glamorizing NWA is all well and good, but growing up with this music, in my neck of the woods, 2 Live Crew was MORE influential.

I'm just saying. Yeah, I knew about NWA, but it really didn't seem that special to me at the time.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I was wondering when someone was going to post this -- 2 Live Crew set the game in motion for smaller groups like NWA to even get a deal.

4. Remii

Remii Member

2 Live Crew isn't hardcore or gangster rap. It's Miami Bass bootie shaking sexual rap. Ice T, Ghetto Boys (Raheem), K-Rino (who is still one of the best rap artist on the planet), and other artist are who gave NWA their stepping stone as far as hardcore rap is concerned.

But 10 million units sold with being practically banned from mainstream radio and banned from being able to perform in certain areas is what makes what NWA did special in the entertainment industry. And it also showed how much of a crossover group they were.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wrong -- do you even have internet?

6. PhiSlammaJamma

My first foray into the Gangsta world was Boyz in the Hood. I kinda missed the whole gangsta thing. While I caught the rap scene and break-dancing before it, I missed the entire genre for the most part. Like ice Cube though. Thinking of seeing the movie to get it, and then if I like, downloading some tunes.

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Currently over 90% on RT. I wonder how it will do in the box office. I'm going to guess over 30M at least. You have the people in their early 20s who are interested because they know 3/5 of the rappers in NWA. You have middle aged folks, of all backgrounds, that want to see it because they were rebellious teens when NWA first came onto the scene.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Do you...? Because if you search 2 Live Crew they are not considered part of the gangster rap scene (and they shouldn't be). Just go look at their wiki page under "genres" and see what it says.

Great group though. No other like them that accomplished what they did doing what they do.

9. Scarface281

Right. If Public Enemy was the group mentioned instead, you could understand. Even with them going rock later. But not the 2 Live Crew.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People of all ages should see it, especially youngsters who are use to crap like Drake . I hope we return to rap music being about what happens on the streets not sprite commercials

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KHaOul8gVVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wUAzkPJLI2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. VanityHalfBlack

My first foray into rap was The Fat Boys and my friends from elementary school.

13. what

what Member

There wouldn't be a NWA without a 2 Live Crew. It's not about Gansta Rap, it's about censorship in general.

Again, when I was growing up, we listened to 2 Live Crew because it was vulgar and cool and being banned everywhere.

By the time NWA came around, it was a lot easier for NWA to do what they did, because of 2 Live Crew, period.

If it hadn't been for the youth and suburban kids embracing 2 Live Crew's nasty lyrics and buying their albums in droves, Gansta Rap doesn't even happen.

In short, you are missing the mark when it comes to this debate because you want to compare the styles of music rather than the concepts of censorship in general regardless of lyrical content.

NWA was not as popular as 2 Live Crew, nor as influential. They were just the next iteration. In fact most kids I knew who watched the straight outta compton video seen these guys as "characters," not social protesters. Like a boy band.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

go fund a 2live crew movie then.

NWA spawned Ice Cube and Dre, which combined sold a crap load more records than Luther Campbell.

15. Scarface281

They were vulgar for different reasons (well not really because NWA got sexually explicit too), but 2 Live Crew never went into the depths of violence and police brutality like NWA. Like I said before, if any group paved the way for NWA, it was Public Enemy. They set the blueprint and NWA built the house.

16. what

what Member

Which is the reason I said NWA was an iteration of what 2 Live Crew began.

And also, today you might think that NWA was MORE dangerous than 2 Live Crew by a mile. But I can tell you that, back then most teens like me saw 2 Live Crew as the more dangerous and cool group.

It wasn't until mid to late 90s, when teens really began getting into Gansta Rap and thinking it was the coolest form and the likes of Tone Loc (and others) was seen as party rap and generic.

I can tell you that most of us didn't care at all about NWA BACK THEN. The Straight Otta Compton video was corny as hell, to boot.

We were all about hey, give me some pu$$y.

17. Scarface281

An iteration? Dude no, wtf. Stop trying to compare the two groups. They were not close in popularity then and definitely not now. And the mid 90s? Straight Outta Comtpon went triple platinum in the 80s. When did True Live get a platinum album? Just because you and your friends may have liked 2 Live Crew better doesn't mean they were the more popular and influential group, because they weren't. If they were, we would be seeing a movie about them.

I have never seen someone try to put 2 Live above NWA in popularity. It's like Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl.

#37 Scarface281, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  18. Buck Turgidson

And once again, 'what' is wrong about everything.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't trust him on hip hop. I listened to 2Live crew back in the day and it was just party music with bad words for us kids

but when NWA, Easy E, Ice Cube, Dre showed up, that was a phenomenon

Ice Cube went solo, and this was in the sony walkman

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NkEcNmBPlVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>