1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie]Straight Outta Compton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Dec 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm all for NWA in the NWA movie thread

There's no 2 Live Crew movie thread

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/richest-rappers/luther-campbell-net-worth/

Luther Campbell is an American rapper and producer who has a net worth of $8 million.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/richest-rappers/dr-dre-net-worth/
    Dr. Dre net worth: Dr. Dre is an american rapper, actor, entrepreneur and producer who has a net worth of $810 million.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You have a lot of free time. Nobody cares but you and I guess the person that brought it up.

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Sound warehouse and sam goody cares

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Different perspective, guys. I have never even listened to a whole rap song. Saw the movie yesterday. Really liked it. Also surprised it lasted 2 hrs 30 minutes. Liked it enough to look up this thread which I remembered, but never read at all. You guys got me to listen to a bit of rap after the movie.

Hey very topical with the Black Lives Matter.

An old white guy from the 60's.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

You must love hip hop when hip hop was real

7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Just saw the movie, it was pretty good. I didn't really get into gangsta rap until Snoop hit the scene around 93 with doggiestyle. From there I heard the occassional song from Cube here and there on the radio. I've never listened to NWA record or Eazy E. This movie makes me want to listen to them though. For me, it'll be like picking up brand new rap album that's actually good. I stopped listening to rap almost 10 years ago.

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

anybody catch the uncut version? curious to about the new scenes, there were some scenes cut in the theatrical version that were in the trailer

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I might pick it up, Best Buy has a free t-shirt if you buy it this week

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I miss the record rack

I want to see this movie once it's released on DVD

11. tinman

Supporting Member

you could buy it now on digital download or bluray :cool:

DVD is old school

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

# out of the loop old-school . Lol

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I liked the movie. I learned a lot about NWA. Respect. I thought they would be more Gangsta tho' than they were in movie, which might be the point. Overall entertaining and informative. Now I want to see this movie with gangsta kittens in slo mo.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

FINALLY saw it....it's difficult to find the time these days.

I enjoyed it immensely. Acting was legit. Jr. was awesome playing his daddy. But honestly, if I was going to give one of them the Academy it would be Jason Mitchell as Eazy-E. The hospital scene where he first learns he has AIDs is an "Academy moment," and I thought the best part of the movie. Paul Giamatti was awesome.

Negatives as expected...were that Dr. Dre and Ice Cube characters were severely under-developed and just didn't seem realistic. No idea where they got motivation from or what drove them or who they really are. That paired with all the negative things they left out about them with regards to women and how the group was as much about "shock value" as they were about "reality rap" didn't fool me.

I think the movie would have been better if it started a little earlier in their lives and left out some of the "cameos" in the later years (2Pac, Snoop Dogg). It was cool to see those cameos, but I thought made the movie less introspective and more like a checklist (especially the 2nd half).

Anyway, I'd give it 8/10. I hope they make a sequel of sorts focusing on East Coast West Coast rivalry (Suge, 2Pac, Biggie, Puff Daddy, etc.)

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Also just saw it recently. I was amazed how the characters looked, spoke, and acted like the real people. It's easy to forget what an influential group NWA was to the then future of rap music.

8/10

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Same, watched it last week when I was home sick. Really enjoyed it. I was pretty young when my older brother got me into NWA, so I didn't realize that Cube had left the group so early.

17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yall should see the directors cut version. About 30 extra minutes and all but one scene were good.