1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And again, we're talking about aliens and mystical forces that surround every inch of time and space.

The timing of the scene upset me more than the plausibility of it. Get over it.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

So you're okay with deus ex machina? Anytime a named character is in a pickle, let's just save them for plot reasons and chalk it up to the force working in mysterious ways. It's okay to admit that it's bad writing. The only reason so many people stomach it is because of the brand.

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Liked it. It’s a kids movie, after all, and you have to suspend a certain level of cynicism when you go into a movie like this. It was fun.

However, it seemed to be small and lack the galaxy spanning scope of most of the other movies. The level of phylogynism was out of control; you can empower women but when you make men the bad guy for being men you’re entirely missing the point of feminism. ‘Get this man off my bridge!’ -facepalm-

I don’t get why they did such an abrupt about face on the series felt the need to reboot into a small rebel band vs the bad guys.

Snoke went out like a chump after such a big build up. If they don’t bring him back in ep 9 in a ‘you can’t kill me, I’m a badass’ way I’ll be disappointed.

The lightsaber battle was awesome and the best action of the movie.

Again, I liked it. Saw it with my 12-year-old and watched it vicariously through his reactions and it was great.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

can't wait for neil degrasse tyson to break down the new trilogy from a science perspective.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Never did I once say I "stomached" the scene. In fact I stated the complete opposite below:

My point is, the woman has a father that was damn near a Sith Lord.... she was bound to have some type of force powers inside of her. It just so happened the director decided to use it as a writer's shield in that scene.

I'm with you it seems really stupid and poorly timed, but it is not as unfeasible as you guys are making it seem.

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

From the dog experiments...
    That would be hilarious to see that happen to Princess Leia if Disney wanted to replicate real life.

marks0223 likes this.
  8. FaBo

FaBo Member

Regarding the Leia scene: It's not so much the fact that she was able to use the force (despite us never having seen her use the force before), it was the execution more than anything. That whole sequence looked ridiculous, and no attempt to defend it is going to change that.

Anyway, after having thought about it a little more, I like the film even less. I hadn't really noticed just how many storylines / subplots were dropped from the TFA.

- In TFA, Snoke tells Kylo "Even you, master of the Knights of Ren, have never faced such a test" only for the Knights of Ren to never be mentioned again in TLJ. I'm not saying that they have to be featured in the films, but why even bring them up in TFA if you're not going to mention them again? What's the point?

- Rey's parents, again. I don't have problem with her coming from nothing per se, but it was clearly hinted at her having "prominent" parents. Maz tells her "That lightsaber was Luke's, and his father's before him, and now it calls to you". Why even put that line in the movie? To intentionally mislead the viewers?

- The biggest one for sure: In TLJ, Luke says that he came to that island to die. He didn't want to be found. Explain to me this: Why is there a map showing Luke's location? That map was the catalyst for the events in the sequel trilogy! The very first scene in TFA is about retrieving an integral part of the map and getting it to the Resistance, it is what motivates Kylo, the main antagonist. Why did Luke leave a map if he didn't want to be found? Makes no sense at all.

To me, it seems that a lot of these problems were caused by the change of directors. Johnson simply didn't want to continue some of the things that Abrams had set up. It will be interesting to see what Abrams does in Episode 9.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  9. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

It would be hilarious if Abrams throws a hissy fit and reverses everything again in Episode 9. Snoke was a hologram and didn’t really die, Kylo lied about Rey’s parents (she’s really a Kenobi), Luke’s “disappearance” was just him playing around with a new invisibility force skill, Rose dies from her wounds, Kylo turns to the light side, the Republic fleet in the outer rim (with twice the ships of the First Order) returns, Canto Bight gets hit by a stray Starkiller projectile, etc.

mikol13 likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think what bugs me most is that the new republic is already gone and the rebellion/resistance is already small compared to the empire/first order.

Makes the original trilogy seem pointless. They defeat the Empire and it just easily rises back to power again without explanation

Duncan McDonuts and No Worries like this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Bugs me as well.

It’s like the writers wanted a reset back to Republic/Empire conflict and lazily just waved their hands and made it so.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, it actually is somewhere between a re-boot and a sequel. Re-boot is the safe, tried and true formula.

No Worries likes this.
  13. jsingles

jsingles Member

Yes, by far my biggest beef of these two movies. The First Order is just there? No explanation whatsoever? Ridiculous, good triumphed in Episode 6 only for it to be completely forgotten. This, like mentioned before, makes the Snoke angle that much more disparaging, who is this guy and how did he orchestrate a new Empire? We didn't even get a hint as to how this happened, he doesn't look old either, where was he in the original trilogy if he was so powerful?

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bloodline_(novel)

I'm guessing this novel fills in some blanks

jsingles likes this.
  16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

How could she be a Kenobi when Obi-Wan died what would be about 40+ years ago in the SW universe. Rey was 19 in the TFA.

17. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Pretend it's 1980. The Empire is just there. No explanation whatsoever. Ridiculous, bad triumphed over the Jedi in the Clone Wars only for the Jedi to be completely forgotten and gone. This, like mentioned before makes the Empror angle that much more disparaging, who is this guy and how did he orchestrate the Empire? We didn't even get a hint as to how this happened, he looks too old to do this, where was we before and how is he so powerful?

Be patient young one. It's a trilogy. The story hasn't been told. Everyone wants everything now without waiting.

18. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

Perhaps it's time for a brief moment of levity; certainly more entertaining than the movie itself.

#678 Dark Rhino, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Roscoe Arbuckle and marks0223 like this.
  19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Just saw it last night. I really don't understand why the Leia fakeout & Laura Dern character were even necessary in the first place.

Jontro likes this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

holdo's sole purpose is to show how far poe's stupidity and lack of foresight reaches. hopefully it'll lead to his early death in the third installment. he can take fin, rose, and other stupid non-force using resistance down with him too.