1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Spidey 4?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yao_Mac, Oct 31, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Pulitzer pen crafts "Spidey 4"
    Friday October 31 1:51 AM ET

Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright David Lindsay-Abaire got out of a rabbit hole, only to be ensnared by a spider's web.

Lindsay-Abaire, who won a Pulitzer in 2007 for his drama "Rabbit Hole," is in final negotiations to write "Spider-Man 4" for Columbia.

Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire are back as director and star, respectively. Kirsten Dunst also is expected to return for the latest movie featuring the Marvel Comics character.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Plot details are under lock and key. Producer Laura Ziskin had said she would like to aim for a May 2011 release for "Spider-Man 4," nine years after the original movie's debut.

Columbia always has gone off the beaten path during the development process when hiring writers for the "Spider-Man" movies. Alvin Sargent, a veteran scribe best known for 1973's "Paper Moon" and 1980's "Ordinary People," served as a writer on the second and third films. Michael Chabon, another Pulitzer winner, also worked on "Spider-Man 2."

James Vanderbilt previously wrote a draft of "Spider-Man 4."

Lindsay-Abaire's "Rabbit Hole," which starred Cynthia Nixon and Tyne Daly, hit the Broadway stage in 2006 and won four Tonys, including best play. The writer also is known for the play "Fuddy Meers."

Lindsay-Abaire has said in interviews that his plays tend to be "peopled with outsiders in search of clarity," which would put his work on sympathetic terms with Peter Parker, who in his classic incarnation is the perpetual outsider.

The choice of scribe also signals that that filmmakers are intent to focus on character, something that critics said got lost in the third installment.

Lindsay-Abaire, now writing the book and lyrics for the Broadway musical adaptation of "Shrek," has dipped his toe in Tinseltown before, with his adaptation of "Inkheart" due in January. He is also adapting "Rabbit" for 20th Century Fox and Nicole Kidman.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20081031/122544306700.html

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I'll go see it, but I wish they would get rid of Dunst. She was badly cast in the first place- Mary Jane is supposed to be a hot supermodel, not a gummy waif. I'd like to see them bring in Bryce Dallas Howard as the love interest full time.

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This is like when they got Michael Chabon to write #2, though they only used about a third of his script in the final draft.

4. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

damn............ wow............

i think she's good looking though, and changing MJ to another actress this late into the series is kinda meh

i still couldnt get over the fact that they had to change dumbledore, albeit, they had no choice

5. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

STOP.MAKING.SPIDER-MAN.MOVIES.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Spider-Man 3 ruined it for me. I don't want to see a #4, especially with Kirsten Dunst. She was a very poor choice for Mary Jane. The studios just have to keep milking a franchise until it's dry and run down.

How many Marvel superhero movies are planned for 2010 & 2011? Seems like 5 or 6, which is too many. Captain America. Thor. Ant Man. Avengers. Spider Man 4. Iron Man 2. Am I missing any? The genre will be run into the ground.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If it's a good story, I'll be excited.

But there is zero chance that I miss this movie.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I never liked Tobey or Kirsten in the spidey movies. I wish they would start fresh like the batman series.

9. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Tobey is perfect as Spiderman. He looks like a geek.

Now, Dunst, she's too damn ugly to be a super model, unless she was modeling for Walmart Sunday Ads.

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

All I ask is two things:

1. Write Spidey some jokes.

2. Don't have MJ be kidnapped in the finale again.

As for villains, I guess they're going with the Lizard? Though the "Pete's scientist mentor becomes a supervillain" is getting a little worn out too (I'd still LOVE to see them do a creepy Miles Warren/Jackal crushing on Gwen Stacy).

I think they're trying to spin Venom off into his own series of movies, so he's probably out.

11. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Wasn't Gwen, Parkers first girlfriend in the comics?

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yes. This is just one of the many ways the movies aren't true to the comic, but I have no problem with that. You can't necessarily make a movie in the 2000s that is 100% faithful to a comic series that launched in the 60s.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

yes. but she dies violently in the comics so they decided to not play out that storyline....

14. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Technically, Betty Brant (Jameson's secretary) was. I think he also dated Liz Allen before he met Gwen.

But yeah, she was Peter's main squeeze before he got serious with MJ.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

WHY?
    No one needs a Spiderman 4. The studio's just don't know when to stop.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They ruined Venom and Sandman
    So
    Who should they use next?

I really think a lil Kingpin Action would be good
    maybe even Tombstone - get Robbie into the movie more

Hydroman would be boring . .and repetitive

Rocket River

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I'm not sure if they can use Kingpin since he's established in the Daredevil films already.

I'm totally with you on Robbie. They've really dropped the ball with his character so far. He's the glue that keeps the Bugle together.

18. Locke

Locke Member

Please....

ONLY ONE VILLIAN!!!

19. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Venom, the coolest villain of Spider-Man got botched. Can they recover?

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Of course they can. Raimi never wanted to do Venom, but the powers that be insisted on jamming him in and thus we got that halfhearted cluster**** of a finale in Spider-Man 3. The first two Spidey flicks and the first half of the third were very good.