1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Movie Scenes That Left You Puzzled

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Mar 11, 2006.

1. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I was watching "The Conversation" with Gene Hackman off of TCM last night. Anyway at the very end he is in his apartment playing his saxsaphone when he gets a phone call. It rings once he answers and no one is on the other end. He hangs up. Then the phone rings again, he answers and he hears a recording of him playing the saxsaphone from just a moment ago. Then Harrison Ford warns him not to talk about what he knows because they are watching him. Anyway he goes nuts tearing apart his entire apartment, floor boards, wallpaper and all and it seems like he never finds the bug. How is that possible? I think the device they used to record him is demonstrated earlier in the film, but he can't find the darn bug so I'm not sure. Hackman's character BTW, is a wire tapping expert who is hired to record a conversation, not to spoil it for those who may want to see it, and he worries what might be the consequences of his turning in the tapes. Anyway it is a very good film by Coppola, somewhat slow in pace compared to nowdays thrill a minute movies, that left me unsure of what exactly happened in that final scene.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I didn't like this movie...all this hype and eh...

I had the same question of Castaway a couple of posts above...just open the damn package...

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This one may seem dumb to some of you but I'll ask anyway.

In the movie "Boomerang" starring Eddie Murphy, why does Marcus Graham (Eddie Murphy) looked shocked and clinches the sheets when Jacqueline (Robin Givens) leaves after they have sex and she has left $200 on the bed stand?

*Oh yeah, if anybody knows the song that is playing when Marcus is walking through the office and all the women are starring and talking about him after Marcus and Jacqueline break up? The movie is on HBO Comedy West right now if any of you have the channel and the scene should be coming up pretty soon

4. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another Shawshank Redemption one.

At the end, the cops all show up to arrest the warden. They've got loads of evidence on him all provided by Andy. Paperwork is all you need to prove misappriation or embelzlement or whatever they got him for. But then they arrest the lead guard who shot Tommy too. What the hell evidence did they have on him? Andy didnt' even see the shooting, so he only has a pretty good idea what went down. Only the Warden and one other guard (maybe) even saw the shooting, so there isn't much they could have in eye witnesses. Did they really just arrest the guy hoping they could get a testimony from the warden or another guard? It just seemed like they threw that in there to "get the bad guy" but never really had any solid logic behind why it happened.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guessing he got some of the bad money too
    he was the warden's right hand man

Rocket River
    then again . . we not 100# sure Andy gave him good advice about the inheritance ;)

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Obviously....or Wyld Stallyns wouldn't have brought the universe together in harmony with their most triumphant music.

San Dimas High School Football RULES!!!!

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was the only valid explanation I could come up with too. Or maybe there was some record in the books Andy provided showing the Warden making payment to the guard for the murder of Tommy, or something. It seems unlikely, seeing how closely the Warden guarded that money (putting Andy in isolation for 2 months for merely mentioning that he wouldn't ever rat him out for it) that the Warden would just be giving some of his dirty money to the guards...but who knows.

9. droxford

droxford Member

They had to arrest him because Americans like happy endings to their cheesy, stupid movies like Shawshank.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's what I always thought. he was involved in the misappropriation and it showed up somewhere.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you didn't like Shawshank? really??

12. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I happened to be flipping through the channels last night and 16 candles is on. The scene that left me a little confused was were we see Long Duck Dong slow dancing with his sexy american girlfriend and he says somethng to the effect that all the boys must be chasing her because of her tig bitties and she says something that I've never been able to decipher or understand. Will someone please tell me what the hell she says and what it means because this has been bothering me since 1983.

13. droxford

droxford Member

Yeah. I really, seriously didn't like it.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who thought it was crap.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, I'm the other person. I've never understood why such a big deal was made of it, and I'm an ardent movie fan. We went to drive-ins twice a week when I was growing up, and the big art-deco movie houses Downtown on weekends. I just didn't get what was so great about the flick.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

He sure would have felt dumb if they opened the package and it had a brand new GPS phone in it.

16. Fatty FatBastard

If you go back and look at the scene again, you'll notice that Biff is stumbling around like he can barely walk. It's why he gets the top knocked off of his cane, and in another brief scene, you see him trying to catch his breath. This is because he is disappearing because in the alternative world he was already dead.

In a deleted scene, you see him completely disappearing, but apparently that confused people even more, so they took it out.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It m ust suck to have something like that weighing down on you for over 20 years. Of course, they didn't have the internet back in 1983, but they have had it for a decade now.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/80schild/sixteen.html

She (Marlene) says: "Nobody’s caught me yet."

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i don't think you addressed his question, which basically is the same one i have. Old Biff travels back in time to give Young Biff the almanac. At that point, history was altered, meaning when Old Biff traveled back to the future, it should have been an alternate future with Lyons Estate (or Hilldale, can't remember) in shambles. Yet, nothing changed. It only changed when Marty and Doc traveled back to the present.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Maybe it is the same because Marty and Doc ultimately change everything back to normal.

20. Fatty FatBastard

Which is probably why they deleted that scene. For the movie's purpose, the car had to come back there, with Biff disappearing.

About the only reasoning I could give was that Biff's actions were what caused the riff's in the first place, meaning the car came back, but Biff disappeared, just like Marty kept doing in the first BTTF. But then you would think the car would need to disappear, also. Who knows, maybe because the car wasn't a living entity.