1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Movie Scenes That Left You Puzzled

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Mar 11, 2006.

1. droxford

droxford Member

Okay, I can see that. But that conflicts with the Cuban deal. From the very beginning of the movie, we learn that Michael has a deal brewing with Roth (this is why he didn't want Frankie to retaliate against the Rosatto brothers).

I don't understand why Roth would plan a deal with Michael (in which Michael would provide financial backing), then try to have Michael killed, then try to finish the deal with Michael.

2. famicom

famicom Member

I've always wanted to know what that Symbol in CastAway ment or what was in that package...why didn't he open it? Was it just a way to say FedEx does a great job in privacy?

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Ooh another good one.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Blowup, 1966. I remember seeing this in Houston, when it came out, at one of the old art deco movie palaces that were left over from Vaudeville. (now all torn down) It would have been rated at least R, today. At any rate, did someone get murdered, or not?? Are there any good deleted scenes from the orgy? Will there ever be a Criterion version of the flick?

Oh, the questions!

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

After I watched Mulholland Drive, I googled it and found an explication of the whole movie. It makes sense when you read it, but incomprehensible without help.

6. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

yeah but if he wanted luke to overthrow the lord, he wouldnt have blocked lukes saber.

7. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Here's a great one that a friend just pointed out:

In Back to the Future, Doc tests out the DeLorean for the first time in the mall parking lot. He doesn't know if it will work. He puts Einstein (the dog) in the car and operates it with a remote control, with Michael J. Fox at his side.

So he has the DeLorean drive around for a while, speed up, get to 88 miles per hour.... and then it drives RIGHT TOWARD MARTY AND DOC!

When it vanishes at the last second, leaving those cool fiery skid-marks in its wake, Doc jumps up and down for joy. He's ecstatic that it worked... but he's also surprised!

If there was ANY DOUBT that the DeLorean would work, why would he aim it right at them?

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why does marlon brando's character allow himself to be killed in Apocalyspe Now.

I watched White Noise sat and it pissed me off because it never said who those three guys were.

9. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Because it looks cool.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

if Greedo was such a badass bounty hunter, why did he let Han get the jump on him and cause what would be a domino effect of epic proportions? Greedo should have had his blaster in hand and set for 'kill'*

*-the presented question was soley meant to only entertain and not to be taken seriously...especially by Star Wars geeks. The person that wrote said question was a former Star Wars geek himself and only want to poke fun at one of many things that is Star Wars because George Lucas had defiled what was one of the best--if not THE--movie trilogies of all time by releasing Episodes I, II, and III. Continue as you were...

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I have to admit that Andy Dufresne's escape from Shawshank prison sorta bothered me when I first watched it, but it doesn't take away my enjoyment of the movie.

12. droxford

droxford Member

Han caught him monologue'ing.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Yeah I wonder what the wing symbol meant (there were wings right?, its been awhile). Maybe the wings were an angelic symbol; he never opened the package because it served as a reason to get off the island to deliver it (remember the note he wrote at the end). The package and the woman helped to save him and move his life forward again. So maybe that's what those wings symbolize.

Remember though, Anakin/Vader both loved and hated the Emperor. He was a father-figure to him during his jedi training years, yet was responsible (through his lies and deceipt) for his demise and journey to the dark side. Plus he did want to overthrow the Emperor to rule the galaxy himself, but he was still Vader's master. But I'd say the most compelling reason Vader couldn't kill (or allow) the Emperor was because of his turning; he was responsible for Mace's death, for all the younglings deaths and partly responsible for Padme's death. For all that he had done, he felt he couldn't ever go back and therefore was helpless to the Emperors power and rule.

Here's another one for Back to the Future...in BttF II, when Old Biff goes back in time to deliver the Sports Almanac, once he gives the Almanac to Young Biff (and who later wins the millions) that would alter all future events. So wouldnt Old Biff would travel down the new tangent (just like Marty did in BttF I) to his new future, thereby leaving Doc and Marty stranded in the old future? And even if Marty and Doc had the time machine and could go back wouldn't they travel back on the old timeline? How could they jump to the new timeline without going back to the specific moment the timeline broke into the new tangent?

14. Manny Ramirez

Heh, I KNEW it would be a matter of time before someone mentioned this movie. Just reading this section of your post made my brain hurt, LOL. I remember watching this movie in the theaters and getting easily confused with all the time jumping.

15. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Not a movie, but a Seinfeld episode (the episode at the car dealership)...

How did George get all of those candy bars that he used to create his "candy lineup"? If you recall, he had no money and as a result was extremely hungry and mad when his Twix bar got stuck in the machine. Moreover, since he had all of those candy bars for the "candy lineup," why didn't he just eat one?

16. Manny Ramirez

Ooh, that's a good one!

I was trying to remember and it has come to me...

In "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", they have to get their historical figures out of jail and back to the San Dimas High School or they will fail history and the future will be doomed. So, they are able to get them out thanks to Bill and Ted using the time machine and going into the future (or is it the past?) and planting a tape recorder and also wishing a trash can on Ted's dad (and it seemed like something else). When these things happened, they kept telling each other to make sure not to forget go into the past (or is it future) and plant those things so that they will happen. Well that whole premise is confusing to me as it would seem to lead to all kinds of different outcomes for the future. I just thought that whole angle was cheesy and confusing. :confused: :p ;)

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

And did they ever actually go back to do those things?! :p

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

He needed the Emperor to turn him to the dark side first.

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Andy Dufresne

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I agree with that. I think that he wanted to keep one package unopened to deliver and give him a reason, or purpose, to survive and get off the island. But, the real irony is that the wings are actually what got him off the island in that he used the portable toilet piece as wings with the wind blowing out to where he would unleash the wings on the raft at the right time to get past the outer break of those huge waves. It was as if it were a sign of divine inspiration. It all came together for him when the portable toilet piece washed ashore and he figured out how to use it. Remember, he also painted the portable toilet piece with the wings. So, rather than the artwork on the package being just art on a package, it actually...when he looked back on it...was his ticket off the island. Obviously, this was also meant to foreshadow the raft with wings scenario as well. The foreshadowing was, in my mind, deeper than that. It represented his future and, at the end when he was trying to figure out where he was going or where to belong, the only choice he could have made at those crossroads is to go back to the house and get involved with the woman in the truck. When he saw the wings on the bumper of her truck, I think his choice was clear. That little piece of artwork on that package was actually his roadmap for the future. It was fate.

Ah...whatever. That's what I believe.

#100 Surfguy, Mar 13, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2006