1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Movie Scenes That Left You Puzzled

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

lol i did watch it, its not really a lot more racist than a lot of other movies, its just really obvious, and intentional.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Jeez...you know not everything is about race. I thought you were stretching a bit when you mentioned King Kong. But freaking Star Wars. This is just sad. :( :rolleyes:

3. droxford

droxford Member

He killed the other bosses just to merge the five families?

But Roth stood to gain money from Michael by keeping him alive. He needed the two million from Michael to make the Cuba deal happen. If he had killed Michael, he certainly would not have gotten the two million.

No - I understand that part (Roth made it look like Michael tried a hit on Pentangelli which failed, when in fact it was all staged). That happened later in the film.

I mean, earlier in the film after the bullets came through Michael's bedroom window, he went over to Frankie's house and yelled at him. Why? Was he angry with the way Frankie was handling the Rosatto brothers and felt that Pentagelli's feud with them spawned the hit on Michael (i.e. the small feud behind the Rosattos and Pentangelli got escalated up the ladder to those who back them, aka Roth and Michael)?

4. Xenochimera

I never claimed everything is about race, but I do understand racism first hand. Did you watch American History X? if you did, remeber the end where Derek was talking to his father about Sweeny and Native Son?. Danny said that he realized that the racist seed in Derek was not plantted after his dad was shot, but before that, like the dinner they had. Racism isn't always blatant, it doesn't have to be a person calling you a racial slur, its in a lot of things we see everyday, a casual comment, a joke that goes accepted by everybody. How about say a white woman driving, with her 9 year old son, she sees a white homeless person, she doesn't lock the door. Next stop, she sees a black homeless, and what does she do? she locks the door. Now her 9 year old son sees this, and he could develop a stimulus discrimination, instead of a general discrimination choosing only to avoid and lock the doors in his car when he sees a black homeless person.

#64 Xenochimera, Mar 12, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  5. IVFL

IVFL Member

the 12 monkeys. what does she mean when she says, I am in Insurance. . . .. :confused:

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I never implied you did....

King Kong was a movie about a giant ape. Star Wars is a movie with wookies, droids, spaceships, a mystical force, lightsabers and a green puppet. Like I said, not everything has to be about race.

7. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

atleast they had a black guy in star wars. where the hell are the Asians in they entire franchise?

They only one i remember is one of the x-wing pilots and he got shot to **** in return of the jedi.

8. Xenochimera

misread your post, true not everything has to do be about race, but like i stated, i just realized how prevalent racism is.

it was a Y-Wing, and there were two asian actors flying Y-Wings during the assault on the second Death Star, one of whom was confirmed casualty. J'ef Hsu, is the Y-Wing pilot who crashed his Y-Wing into the command bridge of a star destroyer after his fighter was "shot to ****"...Kamakazie like no?. Telsij Cayr was the other asian pilot. He flew with Hsu with Gray Wing Divison. His fate is unknown but according to other sources his squad suffered heavy casualties and if he perished, it would be very concieveble. ;) and yes there were some discussion about Lucas lacking employing asian actors.

#68 Xenochimera, Mar 12, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

This was a really entertaining thread until it got derailed by a stupid argument about race. :(

10. droxford

droxford Member

FWIW, I'm still talking about The Godfather movies.

11. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Since she is also from the future, I think it means that she is the back up or 'insurance' that in case Bruce Willis fails, she'll continue on to try to salvage the mission. Possibly, she'll try to get some of the virus to bring back to the future and create an antidote.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I the Terminator, if non organic tissue can get through the time travel device as long as it is encased in organic tissue, why didn't the terminator just shove a laser gun into some hapless dude before coming back to the past, then rip it out of him and wreck shop on the Sarah Conners of the world.

Also, given that the Terminator came back through time without there having been a terminator chip, wtf is the point of detroying said chip in T2, obviously they don't need that sumbitch to eventually exist and come back through time, because they did it the first time.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Don't question time travel. There are always holes in one way or another because time travel inherently defies the logical construct we live in. Until it's discovered for real--if that should ever happen--there will always be holes in any movie with time travel.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

"The Shining" (Kubrick's version) is one of my all-time favorite movies but there is one thing that has always bugged me about it. Near the end when Scatman Crothers' character is at the hotel, since he is psychic, you would think that he knows that Jack Nicholson is hiding behind a beam with an axe ready to kill him. But he doesn't and gets killed. Maybe I am giving Scatman too much credit as a psychic, but for some reason this one scene has always bothered me.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

was that guy's name really "scatman"?

Stephen King is a racist

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Time Travel is always interesting at best
    The idea was
    that The machines rose. .
    BECAUSE the machines sent the Terminator back in time

Basically you have to accept that the machine sent the terminator
    back with a duel [or unstated true] purpose
    1. to kill sarah connner
    2. to put that chip in the past to create itself

Rocket River

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not sure. I'm thinking that the guy he bought lunch for was not his son and that a) someone was either playing a joke on him by sending him that letter or b) he was never going to find his son but would always think random guys who looked 19-years old were his son (hence him staring at the kid in the car as it drove by).

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Given the time period (40s-60s-ish), the meekness of Andy Dupre, and the fact that he was basicly a 'trustee' for the warden, whom almost all the guards liked and trusted implicitly, it's entirely believable that he could have hidden a hole in a wall. After all, what would a prisoner hide in a 2mm space in that era? I buy the entire premise, and I tear apart plot holes for fun.

19. droxford

droxford Member

His real name was Benjamin Sherman Crothers

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Hymen Roth knows how Michael thinks, knew that Michael wanted to have what he had, knew that Michael gave the orders to kill Moe Green who was close friends with Hymen. So it was part revenge and part self preservation that Hymen wanted Michael killed.

And Michael was killing the heads of the five families because, as mentioned, the other families and even men of his own family would turn on him. Again, it was part self preservation and part making it known to the the remaining families that that he is taking over and anyone who wants to survive will side with him and recognize him as sole Godfather.

I have to jog my memory on the Michael/Frank question but I kinda remember that Michael was playing all sides and him coming to Frank angry was maybe just him trying to see how Frank would react.