1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Movie Scenes That Left You Puzzled

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Mar 11, 2006.

1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Peter Jackson wasn't working that angle.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

that King Kong theory is stupid as hell...

it reeks of BS..almost as much as Xenochimera threads

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

it makes me physically ill

Rocket River

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

House of Flying Daggers: ending fight scene. They cut to one shot of soldiers advancing on the Daggers hideout then cut back to the main story. I kept waiting for the movie to return the other battle, yet it never did. What was the point of that?

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:(

Man, you're going to make me start a multi-choice poll thread asking what race everyone is.

6. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

its not Jacksons fault, he can only deviate so far from the original before it takes on a complete new theme. the original 1933 movie was infact, much more racist, Jackson did a very good job of incorporating the main theme but the "subtle" racism is definately there, its not a theory, its a fact.

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The theory of the 1933 King Kong movie as a racial metaphor is very common and nothing new. Just Google "King Kong Racist". However Kong's creator/producer/director Merian C. Cooper repeatedly denied and laughed at that idea.

So Xenochimera, I think you need check your facts.

8. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Michael killed off the heads of the five families since they were going to side with Barzinni over the Corleones after the Vito was shot. Michael was just clearing house and taking over control of the five families.

I figure Roth tried to kill Michael over the money in the deal they were trying to set up in Cuba. It was always a shaky alliance I don't believe that Michael ever trusted Roth.

Michael was angry with Pentangelli after he was shot and started yelling that Michael betrayed him when it was a setup. Pentangelli went to the feds and that is why Pentangelli "fell on his sword".

9. Xenochimera

I never said it was meant specifically or intended to be racist, but there are hints of racism definately. Its an excellent movie, I am just pointing out that there are racist factors or themes in the movie. Take Gone with the Wind as well, another writter pointed out that it portrays slaves being helpless and tended to by their kind white masters. The movie is a classic, but that doesnt take away the fact that it has racial themes. A great movie may unintenionally contain racist themes, doesn't make it anyless of a great movie, but just watch out for them.

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

So when Darth Vader started out as a white guy, then wore a black outfit and stole the voice of a famous black actor when he became evil, then after absolving himself and making himself right with the force, appeared as an old white guy......that basically proves that Lucas hates black people?

11. MR. MEOWGI

really?

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This wouldn't be the first time artists have denied their original intentions. Happens all the time. Hell, Pink Floyd has repeatedly denied the theory that
    Dark Side Of The Moon was purposely made as a score to the Wizard of Oz. But if you've tried it (hit play on the 3rd roar of the MGM Lion) then you have to wonder if they're pulling our chain.

With regards to King Kong, as with any critical evaluation of art, you have to consider the historical context. In this case that means deppresion/segragated 1933 USA. Is it "rascist"? No. Is there a racial subtext/ parable? Yes

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

If your interested in Star Wars racial undertones watch Kevin Smith's Chasing Amy.

14. MR. MEOWGI

But was it intentional? You are just making assumptions. The creator/writer says no and I think Merian C. Cooper would of admitted to that eventually if it was true. But he never did and he died in 1973. If you can prove differently fine, but if you cant you have nothing to stand on.

15. Xenochimera

I never said Jackson was racist nor did i say Fleming was racist. But since you brought up Star Wars lets discuss the racism in that. Mace Windu, a black jedi, is the ONLY black person of great importance in the entire new series. The humans on the jedi consuel were all white. Jar-Jar binks, spoke with with a Jamaican like accent, sort of like Sean Paul in his songs. I found this recently while researching Star Wars.

The whites in the movies were the most civilized, with fancy archetects and advances, while the aliens are uncivialized, brutal. In the end, was it not a white guy that brought force back? was it not a white forces that lead the rebels to victory? Sure the villians were white but only because directly portraying them in another race would be an obvious sign of racism. Realize how the robots were all yellowish? and the movie was titled the Phantom Menace, perhaps it was a reference to the "Yellow Menace". Maybe Lucas portrayed the villians as whites so that he can avoid the critiscisms? Is George Lucas racist? possibly, were the racial themes intentionals? maybe. But it doesn't matter if its intentional or not, its present, and movies are judged by whats on the screen, not by whats the intended theme.

#55 Xenochimera, Mar 12, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you guys do know that Godzilla was remade to keep the Asian Man down right?

17. Xenochimera

Ok bad wording perhaps. I am saying that Jackson as a director did not intend to make a racist movie. However, the plot would have to relatively close to the original. The original contained much more racial themes. Intentional or not, there was a lot to go on. Sure he can deny its not suppose to be racist but we will never know will we? in Native Son what does Bigger's name rhyme with? why would Richard Wright, a renowed black writer portray his own race as savages (the multilation of the young white girls body, and the gruesome way he murdered his girlfriend). Is he trying to say his race is full of savages?? he never confirmed, but that doesn't mean he wasn't trying to say it.

18. macalu

dude, you read too much b/t the lines. first, it's the movie "memoirs of a geisha" that got you all upset b/c chinese women were playing japanese roles and now this. just chill man.

19. Xenochimera

Yes but i got over that. see they are actors, its their job, doesn't matter what they want to play, I did not understand the theme in Memoirs thus i thought they were playing prositutes, but after i read the plot of the book i see that its just a book with a good theme. but after seeing american history x? i see that racism is much more prevalent than i thought before, intentional or unintentional.

20. macalu

i hope you never see Crash b/c you'll have a heart attack.