1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[movie] Sacha Baron Cohen's "Bruno" to open May '09

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Jun 17, 2008.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Well it is Ali G since its about Ali.
    And Borat is in it.

Westside is da best side! Eastside is da best side!

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

It's a bit different...usually Ali G is interacting with real people in real situations but once you get over that and just look at it as a funny character in a movie, it's pretty funny.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The clips he did as Ali G when he was on TV in the UK when I lived over there were by far the funniest stuff he has done.

DD

4. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

To me, Ali G is 1a, Borat is 1 b and Bruno is lower. He is just not that funny. The clip ferrari77 posted is one of his best and it doesn't come close to the best from Ali or Borat.

And if you base your order of preference based on the movies, you are seriously missing out. The Borat movie wasn't all that funny by his standards.

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I find Borat and Bruno just.....um....stupid. The frat boy GTV clip exempted.

Ali G, however -- laugh out loud stuff. His interview with the Beckhams is priceless.

6. MattM

MattM Member

This movie does have potential. If he can land interviews with top fashion people and is able to expose their stupidity and shallowness - like he did with this character in his tv show; I think it should be a total riot.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

True talk. Some of the interviews he did with Brit personalities were more hilarious than his US work. The Borat clips he did back in the UK were also top class.

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

My favorite Bruno episode was when he had two tv fashion "experts" (I've seen them before, but don't know their names) on his "tv show" to comment on fashion. The guys would say some things and Bruno would stop them and tell them they needed to be harsher. The guys completely changed what they had originally said. Clothes they liked, they now hated. It just goes to show how phoney many of the "experts" are on tv and how easily they can be manipulated.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

"Do you think consistency is important?"

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1214726208899&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

Borat's alter ego dupes a former Mossad agent

Jul. 4, 2008
    David Brinn , THE JERUSALEM POST

It's unclear whether his Mossad retirement benefit card will be confiscated, but former spy and current political analyst Yossi Alpher is certainly feeling sheepish after being fooled by actor Sacha Baron Cohen, aka Borat.

Cohen was in Jerusalem two weeks ago filming scenes for his next movie, Bruno, based on a character the British comedian played in his Da Ali G Show. In that show, Cohen played Bruno as a flamboyant Austrian fashion and celebrity journalist, regularly interviewing unwitting members of the public who weren't aware he wasn't a real person.

Cohen's producers contacted Alpher, a writer on Israel-related strategic issues and co-editor of the Israeli-Palestinian political Web site Bitterlemons, and asked him to be interviewed along with a Palestinian for a documentary that would explain the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to the youth of the world.

"The producers explained that our interviewer, a German rock star, was the perfect person to establish strong communication with our audience," Alpher wrote in a column that appeared in The Forward.

Alpher - who served in the Israel Defense Forces as an intelligence officer, followed by 12 years' service in the Mossad and senior positions at the Jaffee Center for Strategic Studies at Tel Aviv University and the American Jewish Committee's Israel/Middle East office - realized something might not be quite kosher when the "rock star" interviewee brought up Hamas:

"Vait, vait. Vat's zee connection between a political movement and food? Vy humous?" asked the interviewer in heavily accented English, echoing the obsession with the chickpea spread shared by Adam Sandler's Zohan. "Yesterday I had to throw away my pita bread because it vas dripping humous. Unt it's too high in carbohydrates."

The absurd Hamas-humous confusion went on for several minutes, and Alpher began to smell a rat, but stuck with the interview nonetheless - thus joining the long list of prominent figures down the years who have sought to maintain their gravitas while being tricked by one of Cohen's ridiculous personas.

It got worse, Alpher acknowledged: "Then the interviewer declared, 'Your conflict is not so bad. Jennifer-Angelina is worse.'"

Alpher and his Palestinian partner exchanged puzzled glances at the comparison of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie fighting over Brad Pitt, but because they had both received a fee for their appearance, and still hadn't completely internalized that their interviewer was not exactly who he seemed, they soldiered on.

"We played it straight and square... We smiled at the idiotic questions and answered them patiently... We knew something ludicrous was happening but couldn't quite figure it out," Alpher wrote. "Our rock-star host concluded with a mind-boggling song about the epic Middle East conflict between 'Jews and Hindus.' At the crescendo, he grabbed our hands and joined them with his."

Only after the completion of the interview did Alpher realize he'd been had, and that Cohen in the guise of Bruno had struck again.

Alpher had signed a release form before being filmed for the movie, due to be released in May 2009, so he won't likely be filing a lawsuit against Cohen like some of the comedian's patsies in 2006's smash hit Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

Trying to make the best of the experience, Alpher asserted, "We ourselves were not being ridiculed - only the conflict that occupies and preoccupies us."

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I really can't wait for this movie. I always thought Bruno was the funniest out of all his characters. The guy is an absolute genius.

- the spring break stuff
    - the interview with the skinhead
    - the interviews with the idiotic fashion people

Unbelievable stuff.

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0708081bruno1.html

"Bruno" Pranks It Up
    Arkansas cage fights turn gay for new Sacha Baron Cohen movie

JULY 8--Lured by $1 beer and the prospect of "hot chicks" and "hardcore fights," thousands of Arkansans were duped last month into appearing as extras in comedian Sacha Baron Cohen's latest staged mayhem. Cohen and his confederates organized cage fighting programs on consecutive days in Texarkana and Fort Smith.

Both cards ended with two male grapplers (one was identified as "Straight Dave" and wore camouflage) tearing each other's clothes off and, while in underwear, kissing down their opponent's chest. This man-on-man action triggered Fort Smith fans to throw chairs and beer at the ring, according to one cop present at the city's Convention Center. Cohen is currently filming a follow-up, of sorts, to his smash 2006 film featuring Borat, his fictional Kazakh journalist.

The new film stars another of Cohen's creations, Bruno, a gay Austrian journalist who interviews subjects about fashion and entertainment. It is reportedly titled, "Brüno: Delicious Journeys Through America for the Purpose of Making Heterosexual Males Visibly Uncomfortable in the Presence of a Gay Foreigner in a Mesh T-Shirt." The June 6 matches in Fort Smith were dubbed "Blue Collar Brawlin'" and were advertised with the poster seen below.

Ads on Craigslist--like this one--noted that attendees had to be over 21 and suggested that fans arrive early "for $1 BEERS!" "Blue Collar Brawlin'" drew about 1500 fans, who were greeted by signs stating that the event was being filmed. Attendees were also not allowed in with cameras or cell phones and some were asked to sign releases. The "Blue Collar Brawlin'" web site (fortsmithfight.com) was registered two weeks before the event in the name of "Peto Philer" of Algeria. The site, which remains live but has been stripped of all content, appears to be currently hosted on servers in Los Angeles.

[​IMG]

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

wow.

that is insanely hilarious.

But did Sacha really have to stoop to Arkansas?

Thats like punching a r****ded kid in the face.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

http://www.slate.com/id/2213882/

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yes, yes, yes!!!

:D :D :D

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Apparently the movie has been leaked online. Anyone found it yet?

17. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i actually preferred ali g to borat...but borat exceeded my expectations when it came out...

the thing i liked about ali g was the story line, and since i watched this after borat, i began to appreciate the flexibility that cohen had as playing different people...

to me, borat had some awkward scences, which made me feel uncomfortable, always questioning whether if a situation was staged or real...but nonetheless, borat is a 8/10 because there are some new elements that was in borat, different than in ali g (crude humor went off the charts in this movie than in ali g)

but now i want to see what more bruno could offer, and to me, i think this will be on level with borat..

18. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

definitely, and when he interviewed the nba players during the playoffs as a TNT promo...classic...

19. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I just hope this isn't staged as much as Borat was (ie: Pam Anderson "kidnapping"). You would think there would be enough good material where they wouldn't have to do that.

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Disturbing. NSFW.

I told you.

[​IMG]