1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie] Sacha Baron Cohen's "Bruno" to open May '09

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.variety.com/VR1117987606.html

[​IMG]

Universal sets a date for 'Bruno'

Cohen comedy to open on May 15, 2009

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Sacha Baron Cohen's "Bruno" is ready for summer heat.

Universal will release the film on May 15, 2009. So far, there are no other R-rated comedies near that date.

Like Borat, the title character of the 2006 box office hit, Bruno is one of a trio of characters created and played by Cohen in TV skein "Da Ali G Show."

As Bruno, Cohen pretends be a flamboyant fashion and celebrity journalist from Austria who interviews unwitting members of the public who believe Bruno is a real person.

Twentieth Century Fox's "Borat" was a box office hit, grossing $128.5 million domestically in an early November release.

U believes "Borat" made Cohen enough of a household name to open "Bruno" in the high-profile summer sesh.

Already set to open on May 15 is Sony's "The Da Vinci Code" sequel "Angels & Demons"; a week later, on May 22, Warner Bros. opens "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins," while Fox unspools family comedy "Night at the Museum II: Escape From the Smithsonian."

The first "Night at the Museum," released over Christmas in 2006, grossed $250.9 million domestically and $323.2 million overseas.

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I was bored by Borat and will probably be even more bored by this, as Bruno was the least funny out of the 3.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Should be funny, there are a couple of really funny Bruno clips on Youtube.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The Bruno skit where he has that group of frat boys on the beach is pure gold.

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I think you're the only person on the planet that thinks that. I may be wrong as future posts may prove me wrong but IMHO it ranks

Borat
    Bruno
    Ali G.

Ali was the funniest when he first came out in Blighty in the late 90s but then the Borat phenomenon took over and then Bruno and they left the Ali G character behind.

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

The Ali G movie was pretty funny.. not as golden as Borat tho, but it actually had a story line. I'm thinking Bruno will probably be like Borat than Ali G in that it's just him going around acting stupid with no real story line.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

"Gay TV?! Get the f--- outta here! There's no gay TV!" :D

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Okay, again, with more energy!!!

9. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

one of the greats

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SnB5vqObkLw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SnB5vqObkLw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

but prob my favorite

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Nrh9eAtNEE&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Nrh9eAtNEE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to this, but I am another person that thought Bruno was Cohen's least funny characters. That doesn't mean he won't get some pure gold out of people playing him, though.

11. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Not really on my radar, but I'll watch it anyway. Borat was fantastic.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't much appreciate his brand of comedy. I'll pass, whether it is good or not.

13. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

ah man, i cant wait...thats like a year away, why did u hafta mention it now :confused: :p

14. ferrari77

Without doubt this is the best one.
    He totally exposes the stupidity of the models and designers with their contradictory answers. Hilarious stuff.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OzoRD1Qvm10&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OzoRD1Qvm10&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I cringe more than I laugh at Cohen. His stuff is so uncomfortable.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm sure it'll be funny...I'll probably check it out...

17. ferrari77

por que???

18. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I like all 3 of the characters, Bruno the least, but by the time the movie came out I'd seen pretty much all of the jokes already. (And they were done better on the TV show, IMHO)

19. ferrari77

True dat.

20. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

how many of you have actually seen 'Ali G Indahouse'?

it's not borat, or bruno... it's not even ali g.... it's actually a movie, and it's funny as ****.