1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] PROMETHEUS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cowboy_Bebop, Nov 26, 2011.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I love people who b**** about plot holes and believability on a sci fi movie that didn't answer all the questions. Do you people want everything fleshed out in front of you? Just enjoy the the movie for what it is... a visually stunning movie with a epic story.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I can say the same about gangham style, Harry potter, the hunger games, and specially Avatar. Overrated ****.

3. Raven

Raven Member

If you want your movie to be taken seriously, it better be able to hold up under scrutiny. Excessive CGI might be enough for Avatar fans, but it's not enough for me. It's clear that the first two films were an accident, much like the first SW film. I don't think it's possible for either franchise to be saved at this point. Same thing goes for Predator. All three franchises need to be buried. Forever.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

so was Transformers, and it sucks

Story, dialogue and characters are the most important thing

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

and boobs... don't forget boobs.

6. jae713

jae713 Member

Shouldn't the fact that we are still talking about the movie tell you how good the movie really is. I liked it. Although it was not as good as I expected it to be, I still enjoyed it. Looking forward to a sequel.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/avXZVgzLP68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think people hold way too much expectations for a science fiction movie.

I also think people wanted to hold this movie to "Alien" standards, which is just unfair to Prometheus.

I enjoyed Prometheus very much. I thought it had a cool story (though it was thin on plot elements), and I think it set the ground for a very cool sequel. And the special effects were truly top notch.

Was it phenomenal? Not at all. I still thought it was very enjoyable though, so I'd give it about a 7/10, which is certainly not a bad time at the movies.

9. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I still really enjoy Prometheus as well, though the scene that bothers me most seems to have a deleted scene that is way better than what made the theatricul cut. Looking at both, i just can't see how he went with lame zombie mutated looking Fifield instead of xenomorph looking Fifield.

I also wish it had darker moments. For example, the trailer was amazing bc it made it look like a real sci fi horror. I thought lights would be on and off in the hallways giving a real intense atmosphere. Or even night time scenes. The whole movie is too bright visually imo even though it's incredibly beautiful.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Watched this tonight. 3/5 based on a well produced and acted sci if movie with solid cgi. 1/5 on story. It wasn't confusing, just not terribly exciting, and completely predictable. Too bad.

Sunshine remains the best sci fi movie I've seen in ages. Now that movie was awesome.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When you have Ridley ****ing Scott build up anticipation by promising a bill of goods...plus the fact that it's Ridley ****ing Scott directing, then Prometheus better deliver an A-game with a watchable movie.

Instead, the most sympathetic character I can imagine was a robot and the smartest was a captain that didn't get that much screen time. The movie was filled with a crew of idiots and morons who couldn't die fast enough.

The plot holes that were designed to move the story were terribly unbelievable or uninspired.... different crowd with different expectations, and it seemed they were too amped with the thematic parallels involving the android and the "gods" that they left out any effort in spending time creating real characters for the actual humans.

I think they held back too much on exposition. I get enough of the story but it's not like watching it again will answer any lingering questions. They were deliberately left out...bleh

And Ridley's strong female protagonist? I would've liked her better if she and her douche boyfriend shared some semblance of common sense and practicality. There's excitement and intellectual curiosity, and then there's sheer stupidity, such as that moment where they opened their helmets.

The design and visuals were great. There was a wealth of backstory the Alien series already drew in. So why did I felt like the universe was rushed and superficial?

12. Nero

Nero Member

Ridley Scott said something in one of the promo shorts leading up to the release of the film, which I think was very telling: he said, essentially, (to paraphrase Lloyd Dallas in Noises Off!) 'Buns in seats, Laddie, buns in seats!'

This speaks to Scott's very British sensibility of, first and foremost, *sell a ticket*.

The problem is, that really was not his mentality with Blade Runner or Alien. Blade Runner was going to have great interest and make money just because of Harrison Ford being in the middle of his Holy Trinity of Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Blade Runner. So tickets were going to be sold for that one regardless, and therefore he could fret and wrangle and make something which exceeded the material (even given the addition of the narration - it has never bothered me personally anyway).

And with Alien, that was a small budget movie, basically intended to just be 'another horror movie' but set in a spaceship instead of a haunted house. So, again, he was not under any particular actual pressure to produce massive sales.

Noteworthy is that neither movie was a huge critical success *at first*.

But now, over thirty years later, the economics have changed, there is enormous pressure, given the extremely expensive nature of filming a movie like Prometheus. And this meant that he had to take the 'Buns in seats' mentality while he was actually making and editing the film.

I have not yet got the DVD/Blu, but I will eventually, and my guess is at this point (before having seen all of the 'extras') that the biggest failure was in editing choices after the movie was already filmed. In an attempt to make it more accessible to 'the masses', it appeared to have dumbed the thing down so much as to be unacceptable to ANYONE. The attempt to craft and shape it with the sole focus on selling tickets created exactly the opposite of what it should have been.

I don't know - maybe general audiences are becoming more sophisticated than Hollywood-types are aware of. We keep getting crap like Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2, and Zookeeper. It's like they don't watch someone like Nolan making movies, or someone like Whedon giving the audiences some credit.

Oh well. If I was a bettin' man, I would lay a wager that no sequel happens, and nothing more ever comes from that 'Alien' universe, at least nothing which ever has anything to do with any events or characters in Prometheus.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Just have in mind that my main criteria for liking a movie is if it entertains me. I don't give a crap for cheezy dialogues, wrong angle this, wrong angle that, director should have done this or that etc.....If it's entertaining, I like it!

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If the next film doesn't deal with more of the actual aliens, then I'm likely in no hurry to see it. My opinion is the ending set up more appearances by the alien(s) in the next film. Now, Ridley Scott can have a field day with how that all fits into the next storyline...maybe even going as far to set up how the spacecraft with all the eggs ended up on LV-426 to set up the "Alien" film.

Surely, the aliens have to play a more prominent role in a sequel. We got a taste of the evolution of the aliens in this film...which should set up more aliens in the next film. I would be shocked if that weren't the case personally.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

They've already announced that there will be a sequel, and that 2015 is the preliminary release date

16. Nero

Nero Member

I know that, and George Lucas announced there would be nine Star Wars films too.. hehehe

They can 'announce' what is going to be coming out in 2015 all they want, but until I see that an actual production of an actual sequel (or continuation of anyway) to Prometheus, I will continue to have my doubts.

See, the problem is, how can they continue this storyline?

You have a dumb protagonist in Noomi, and essentially an evil/amoral head in a bag in Robby the Robot. Alone in the universe, flying a gigantic alien ship.

Do they stumble across more humans? Do they stumble upon the 'Engineers'? The last Engineer almost single-handedly killed half the crew, and it's hard to imagine one girl and a talking head would fare any better.

So how do you make an effective sequel with only two characters, one of whom really can't even DO anything, and is reduced to being merely the equivalent of a classic Greek Chorus?

Now, as with a lot of criticism I seem to have for movies these days, once again, I sincerely hope I am wrong, and that they actually DO make the sequel, and it is something grand. I really do. I don't want it to end in failure and disappointment. I genuinely want them to succeed.

But like several people above have noted, expectations were extremely high for Prometheus, they had years and years to craft a good story and a great movie, and they did not even come close, so expectations are understandably much lower moving forward.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i like this space jesus theory

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g4P2WKa1opY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TL4WBy41goI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Interesting theory indeed. I am not of Christian religion but if I am not mistaken didn't Jesus have certain "powers" such as the healing and turning water into wine and whatnot? From what I saw in the movie I don't think the Creators had such abilities. I assumed they were just "scientists" that used genetic engineering to create human beings, not by supernatural powers. Unless crossing a human and creator suddenly gave that new being powers, this theory seems a little farfetched.

19. magman

magman Member

hehehe indeed. :grin:

The Movie wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, I enjoyed it.

20. redefined

redefined Contributing Member