1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Prince of Persia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, May 21, 2008.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Disney movie based on the games...Starring...Jake Gyllenhaal?

[​IMG]

link

In the grand Hollywood tradition of casting a well known actor in a role that is out of their ethnicity, Jake Gyllenhaal has been cast as the PRINCE OF PERSIA for Disney's next attempt at making a Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. So has Gemma Arterton, who will be seen as a Bond Girl in QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

What the hell, right? I like Gyllenhaal and Arterton is cute. I'm sure we'll get some really solid Middle Eastern actors in supporting roles. I would have loved to have seen this series create a new star and give someone new a chance, but it is Hollywood afterall. Here's hoping it'll be a fun ride from Jerry Bruckheimer.​

Gemma Arterton:

[​IMG]

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Sands of Time is one of my favorite all-time games, so I'll go into it with an open mind if it's along the same lines.

3. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Awwww they just ruined PoP for me! DAMMIT! I like Gyllenhaal, but not for this.

PoP (any one of them) is one of the few games I've played repeatedly after I beat it.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

wth? A non persian prince in "prince of persia"?

5. droxford

droxford Member

That was a fun game. I remember doing all those jumps... sword fighting... and those metal chomper things would kill me.....

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks of the game shown below when they hear "Prince of Persia"
    [​IMG]

6. meggoleggo

I remember playing that on my dad's 386. Awesome game. I also have the newer releases for PS2. The memory of the original game drove me to buy the newer ones, which turned out to be badass in their own right.

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

oh yeah! On my dad's mac IIsi no less.

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Droxford, you are definitely not alone. That game was great back in the day. The funny thing is I haven't seen so much as a screen shot in years and I remember being really impressed with the graphics.

I doubt I'd enjoy the newfangled 3-d version. Some things should stay in 2 dimensions.

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Wierd. I remember playing it in green and black monochrome, but I can't seem to find any screenshots of that so maybe I'm insane.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Definitely. I loved that game, it's still one of the best video games I've ever played. I used to play it all the time back in the day on my 286. It was a simpler time, but I have fond memories of playing that game with family and friends.

As for the casting, how about Oded Fehr and any number of leading women who have at least some Middle Eastern blood? (e.g. Salma Hayek, Yasmine Bleeth, Shannon Elizabeth, or even Catherine Bell who actually has persian roots)

#10 tigermission1, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I guess Alexandar Siddig (Dr. Bashir on DS9) is too old for this kind of role? I was hoping after Syriana that his movie career would take off.

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

With all this hating on Iran here comes a movie about a prince of persia...

13. meggoleggo

Which just goes to show, you shouldn't hate on persians. You might encounter a super-deadly dude with some crazy cool swords. And he might just kill your ass if you get in his mix. :D

14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Exactly...or we just run you over in our BMW lol

15. A00man

A00man Member

The first 3D version is absolutely awesome, and very much like the 2D games. You should try Sands of Time. It had an excellent story as well. I hope they use that story for the movie. I haven't played the two sequels though. I heard the 2nd one wasn't very good but the 3rd one was great as well.

Regardless, maybe you'd like the remade 2D version on Xbox Live Arcade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Gyllenahl? Really?

This would have been my pick:

[​IMG]

Mohinder, from HEROES

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Umm...except that Persians are not "brown people". Mohinder is a dark-skinned South Asian, and he looks it. Fehr would be perfect for the part, I think.

Anyways, I am more disappointed with the female lead, I was hoping for something a bit more 'ethnic', someone who looks more like the typical persian beauty: long, flowing black hair that's as dark as the night itself, large seductive eyes and a curvy shape.

Again, Salma Hayek would have been perfect for this part...

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Gyllenhaal is a good actor but he is the wrong choice for the Prince imo. And Johnny Depp may be a well known actor, but the Pirates trilogy wasn't good just because he was in it...it was good, in part, because he made that role. I don't see Gyllenhaal doing the same.

Play the Sands of Time trilogy and see if your opinion changes. I love the old school games as much as the next person, but the Sands of Time trilogy is one of the best platformers I've ever played (well not so much Warrior Within).

19. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Hmm, well. I didnt mean to offend anyones nationality. I was simply stating that when I heard about this movie, it was who I thought of.

20. g1184

g1184 Member

[​IMG]

Sarah Shahi from the show "Life." Former Dallas Cowboys cheerleader. Game, set, match.

aside:
    rofl @ mohender. Casting him as the Prince of Persia and playing it for westerners is like casting Hugh Grant as Billy the Kid. "Where's this man from? who cares! he looks like an American!"

Oded Fehr is closer, even though he's from Israel. I hope they give Jake Gyllenhaal brown contacts, that blond hair blue eyes thing isn't going to fly.