1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Pacific Rim (Guillermo del Toro)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 24, 2012.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

What on earth will the sequel do?

I mean...
    the closed the passage to the other dimension or whatever, and even if they didn't, they're out of jaegers. My preference would be more of a prequel, with more mecha and more of the earlier monsters, I guess...

2. itzIce

itzIce Member

I think the sequel would be:

More of a prequel, the earlier days of the kaiju war. Based on the comics.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lets hope there is a sequel, and they use more things like sabers and stuff.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

del Toro has already given an interview teasing the sequel. It would have a few elements to tie it to the original:

1. The neural bridge between Charlie Day and the Kaiju "hive mind" will somehow allow them to re-access our world. Either they form the gateway once again in the same fashion they did the first time, or they coerce an element from our side to re-open the gate.

2. In the years since the first movie, our side will theoretically have beefed back up by studying the kaiju and the gate, preparing for a possible return of the war. One of the ideas del Toro wants to incorporate is a jaeger that is actually part-Kaiju. If he says he did not borrow this idea from Evangelion then he's lying through his teeth.

3. The new jaegers and new kaiju will be much more badass than the ones we just saw. The movie in general will be more badass. Three-armed Crimson Typhoon, meet eight-armed Shiva robot, or something crazy like that. And give your helmets a freaking upgrade, Gawd. I'm tired of kaiju turning the pilots to mush just because their helmets are made of aluminum foil.

If you don't think mecha robots can get any faster, go watch the Evangelion series. ****'s about to get real, son. That's my prediction at least. Pacific Rim is the first blockbuster movie truly made for international audiences, and that's why so many American critics are butthurt by it. Aww so they didn't cater to your demographic, and the dialogue was too simple for your tastes? Well get used to it, because this is the future. Movies will only continue to be more international like this, because that is where the money will be.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Made me LOL. I like to picture you in the theater, tumping over your popcorn and yelling at the screen: "Nooo! Come ON! You call that a helmet! WTF, people!"

6. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Best movie of the summer so far for me. I have to say the 3D on this movie was well done. Michael Bay's TrashFormers is totally garbage to Pacific Rim.

7.5/10

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Picking this up on bluray today, if you haven't seen it do yourself a favor and pick it up!

8. SK34

SK34 Member

This movie was great.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sequel Details

Hey Pacific Rim fans! Loved Pacific Rim and want more Kaiju action? Well it’s coming our way. Director Guillermo del Toro has been asked many things about a sequel and he decided to spill some beans. He confirmed that Warner Bros. has allowed he and his team to start writing a sequel, which is currently being worked on. He also said:

”I’ll tell you a couple of things. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you’re gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special.”

Del Toro also said that a lot of the deleted scenes from the movie hinted at possible plot lines for a sequel. Pacific Rim ended with a huge showdown underwater and went through the portal and into the Kaiju world. He referred to that sequence when he went on saying…

”Just think about it for a second. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stays there.”
    Referring to ‘drifting’, the psychological process through which Jaeger pilots team up with each other to manoeuver their giant machines, he highlighted another plot point that might come into play in a sequel:

”The main idea that we’re bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain, and all Kaiju brains are connected. We say that. They are like a hive mentality. So, you know, draw your own conclusions. We’ve drifted with a Kaiju brain. Well, then start riffing on that and you’ll get to something.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

6.5 out of 10. Good flick.

Hopefully, this will pave the way for Voltron.

11. droxford

droxford Member

FIrst 15 minutes were great
    The next 40 minutes were unimpressive filler
    The last hour was awesome.

Bottom line: Pretty durned good. Thumbs up.

12. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

While I stand by my initial impressions of Pacific Rim being an ideal "popcorn" summer flick, I wouldn't touch a sequel.

Just can't see a situation where it isn't an hour plus of wringing every cent from it's predecessors success/formula ala Transformers 2, Hangover 2, Oceans 12, Matrix: Reloaded, etc.