1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Pacific Rim (Guillermo del Toro)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 24, 2012.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Loving' it! JJ Abrams, North Korea and the Canada (Excuse Me) ones are awesome.

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

8/10

Normally I would give a movie like this with weak characterization/cheesy dialogue/cliched scenarios a 6 or 7/10, but wow this was a fun movie! Like Dredd last year, I didn't expect this to win awards at Cannes. A good summer popcorn-blockbuster should have a simple plot, likeable characters, and in-your-face special effects. Humongous aliens fighting humongous robots. That's exactly what I saw in the trailers and what we saw today.

I wish some of the battles could've taken place in the mountains as well as a jungle rather than only rainy, dark metropolises like Blade Runner's Los Angeles. Also, that old, Soviet-style robot and the Chinese 3-armed one needed more screen time. Other than that, most have already discussed the weaknesses plenty. Go see this. It's a shame it's doing poorly at the box office.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I liked them as well even though I thought their subplot, while important, could have been trimmed a bit.

[​IMG]

#204 GRENDEL, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

the acting was pretty awful and so was the dialogue. really good action scenes.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I couldn't find the North Korea one!

I thought this was nearly perfect though, including the color:

[​IMG]

As for the actual movie, I am still pumped up about it a day later. Just very good for the inner child (boy). I think all the rain and darkness is to just mask cheesiness and to let the mind fill in the blanks with awesomeness.

I do wish we could have seen some of the combat injuries in better detail. I wonder if this seriously related to a ratings issue. Like, if you show the details of a monster ripping off a robot's arm, is that considered human violence somehow? Other than the Russians, i could hardly tell what was happening to the defeated jaegers.

7. VanityHalfBlack

You guys complained about the fights not being in broad daylight? Why does it have to be in broad daylight? Heck why didn't they fight on Cinco De Mayo, who gives a *** about fights in broad daylight.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Went ahead and made a "real" one:

[​IMG]

I guess I'm still hoping we can reconstruct him. :eek: then :(

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Now this is what going to the movies are all about. "Let's check for a pulse"

1 person likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Because fights in a lush garden of flowers with double rainbows up above and the birds singing feels much better. It's a happy fight.

11. JunkyardDwg

Didn't realize they ripped the image from an anime character, but it still fits perfectly for NK!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

I didn't have any trouble understanding the dialogue during the film. Then again, I thought the people b****ing about Bane's voice in TDKR were just being whiny twats. Maybe old people shouldn't see this movie if they have trouble listening to dialogue and paying attention to the screen at the same time.

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

why dont they send jets to shoot **** while theyre fighting... this annoyed me the most. and people casually running away from giant monsters.... and oh a giant ****ing laser cannon aimed at the facility? better glance and stare at it for 5 seconds

14. VanityHalfBlack

Exactly, and another thing about the robots not fighting in daylight What is he a hack like Michael Bay? Michael Bay would do some lame **** like that and if you follow Del Toro's filmography or know his style please look back at Hellboy 1 and 2, Blade 2,Pan's Labyrinth, even his Spanish Horror/ Cronos/ Devil's Backbone those films are dark/ not much lighting in those films. Del Toro likes his films dark/rainy/ a lot of specific art decoration that relates to fantasy/horror.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Jet-armed weapons aren't strong enough. It's in the comic: they built the Jaeger s to deliver stronger attacks to the Kaiju. They ended up nuking the first Kaiju, and as we saw in the movie, they got too strong even for that to work.

17. lalala902102001

This was aweful. I wish I had the two hours of my life back.

18. JunkyardDwg

I would imagine sending jets in to fight alongside the jeagers would do more harm then good; too distracting, could harm the jaegers and just piss off the monsters. I didn't really see anyone casually running away, unless you're referring to the Hong Kong scene. Maybe they weren't panicking because the war to that point had been going on seven years, and threat of monster attacks along the pacific coasts had become a way of life.

19. treeman

treeman Member

Saw it last night, thought it was entertaining. It is pretty much exactly what you think it is. Go into it without great expectations and you'll probably like it.

20. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

mindless badass action movie

LOVED IT