1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Movie] Moneyball

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GRENDEL, Jun 16, 2011.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Most critics are already saying this is going to get a nomination for Best Picture. So not likely.

2. showtang043

showtang043 Member

yea goto rotten tomatoes, they even mention how the story is about statistics and they thought it would be fairly dull unless you were interested in baseball or the particular story, but htey made an incredibly movie out of it with a solid flow, cast, etc. I am excited for this one

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Heh... who woulda thought a movie about the GM of an Oakland baseball team would be good? Prolly the same people that thought a movie about the nerd that started Facebook would be good.

Yea, count me in... I am looking forward to it. While I am a sports film nut, I bet this movies appeals to people outside of sports. I even bet my wife likes it... and not just because Pitt is in it...

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

going to go see this tonight looking forward to it I passed up on some free screenings last month because work but will go tonight

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Let us know what you think.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am not always too big on biopics but this one was good I enjoyed it a lot and it was a lot different from any other movie I have seen recently mainly because it wasnt really a comedy or action film etc.

It was a little bit longer than I expected, one thing I didnt expect was that they delved into a lot of Billy Beane life as a high school kid and when he was in the majors himself in between scenes. Off the top of my head I dont know exactly how long the movie was I think maybe just under 2 hours but it seemed longer than that. But the flashback scenes were essential IMO to the understanding of Beane. Even though it seemed long, there wasnt a single time I felt that I was bored or that things needed to speed up.

Watching about the As 20 game winning streak reminded me about the Rockets' 22 game streak a few years and the feelings I felt when the team went on that streak and I was hoping that the As would win the series but then I realized this film wasnt Hollywood and was based on actual events and remembered that the As didnt win the series that year.

I think fans of Moneyball, Moreyball etc (fans who appreciate a more analytical approach to sports) will enjoy this film a lot or just fans of baseball or sports for that matter. I talked to a girl that worked for Columbia Pictures (it was a columbia pictures screening for some of their employees) and she didnt know a thing about sports let alone baseball and she came away with an appreciation of how they applied math to sports and was interested in reading up more on it.

9/10

7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Best Scene in the movie

The trade scene was epic, makes you think thats what Morey goes through every day until trading deadline and after the season ends.

I loved it, caught it earlier in the month, posted it in the latest movies you reviewed thread, I'll paste it here

Moneyball - Another advance screening SMG last week, its gonna get comparison's to Social Network because of Aaron Sorkin's writing. I enjoyed it and still wonder why they had to make up the Jonah Hill character. Quick funny story, I mentioned my thoughts about the movie to a few friends on Twitter and tagged Morey by mentioning he didn't get any plug. A few mins later it Morey Direct Messaged me and said "Gotta accomplish something first", and I responded "Neither has Beane, hell you have 2 wins up on him as far as winning streaks goes". Awesome....

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This movie really hits at home for Rockets fans.
    Deadbeat team that nobody thought could win. We were way out of playoff contention in 2007, and then suddenly... 22 games in a row.

Morey is a whiz.
    Nobody thought that little Aaron Brooks could win MIP, hell nobody thought he could even play. Nobody thought Chase could shoot as well as he does, that Kevin Martin was a budding star, and that Scola was in fact better than Oberto.

This movie is awesome.
    Best movie of the year.

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Saw it today. Enjoyed it.

10. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I saw it last night - thought it was incredibly boring. About 40 minutes total of dialogue and stuff that was pertinent to the plot. The other 1:20 was Brad Pitt sitting/laying/walking around making "introspective" faces while some sappy or dramatic music was playing; interlaced with stock MLB footage.