1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Movie) Lone Survivor:2013

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, Aug 8, 2012.

1. TheresTheDagger

Just wondering if any other members of Clutchfans have heard of this movie or read the book. I have and it is outstanding....akin to Black Hawk Down but even more desperate with heroism beyond belief.

Peter Berg will direct and It starts filming next month in New Mexico with the following cast.

Mark Walberg - Marcus Luttrell
    Taylor Kitsch - Michael Murphy
    Emile Hirsch - Danny Dietz
    Ben Foster - Matthew Axelson

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Ugh, I have a bad feeling about this based on Bergs most recent work, plus Taylor Kitsch is cursed.

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

With that cast they might as well call The Hobbits: Return to Afghanistan.

...and Peter Berg sux.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Is the movie/book based off a true story?

5. TheresTheDagger

Yes. Operation Redwings in June of 2005. I HIGHLY recommend reading the book Lone Survivor. I have only read it once because it is so hard at points to read....but it is one of the best books I've ever read. In fact, I have bought about a dozen copies to give to family and friends to read. Something I've never done for any other book.

More information here...

http://www.lonesurvivor.net/operation-redwing/

6. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

The book is excellent, and I have the utmost respect for Marcus Luttrell. However, I hate the casting! I just can't buy Mark Wahlberg in this role. For one, he is way too short, and way too Northern.

Luttrell is 6'5 and as Texas as toast.

7. TheresTheDagger

Ya the Wahlberg casting makes zero sense. Not only is he too short and a Yankee, he's also about 20 years too old. Everyone else I'm withholding comment till I see some trailers or something.

Here he was being interviewed by Matt Lauer on Today. The second video is him describing the gunfight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/irC4K7Q4JCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/95Y-TskRSdI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

....and you don't mess with his dog.

9. TheresTheDagger

Featurette

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CQFUBmDqg6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. davo

davo Contributing Member

I can't wait to see the movie, book was excellent. I'm not too worried about the casting - I like Mark Wahlberg. Marcus Luttrell was a big guy but that is not necessarily true of Navy Seals in general - they come in all shapes and sizes.

11. TheresTheDagger

New Trailer

<iframe src="http://www.movieweb.com/v/VI5nd5YhSMdH8d/embed_video" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow - I can't wait to see this, it looks amazing.

DD

13. red

red Contributing Member

just watched a dvd online version. excellent war movie.

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Awesome. Amazing.

Can't even begin to imagine what those men went through on that mountain.

15. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Marcus lives down the road from my grandparents up near New Waverly, TX. It was also some trouble makers that went to school up there that killed his dog. I knew one of the kids older brothers, who by the way was in the service.

Read the book! And even though I don't love the casting, watch the movie if you get a chance. Marcus is a hero.

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Help out. :)

17. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

Everyone needs to check this movie out. The stuff these men went through during that operation was beyond crazy. Nothing but respect for all of them.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Great movie. Intense action and much respect to our military forces.

However, Marky Mark overacted. And I hate how they Hollywood'd it up at the end with the climax battle. I wish they'd just keep it historically accurate. That said, Black Hawk Down was still more epic.

19. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

Kitsch is starring? This movie is gonna bomb.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I know someone who in is in special ops and he said that this book and movie are dead on accurate. Also saying that the other movies on special ops before it were not even close to what happened. So I'm interested.