1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] JJ Abrams/Spielberg Super 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, May 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The movie started out really well but it fizzled out for me IMO. The train wreck sequence was mint. I didn't like the resolution at all though.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Kristie Alley
    [​IMG]

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I read there's a ton of plot holes in it. Especially during the train wreck scene.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh, well, you know what they say.

Eighters gonna eight. Even, super eighters.

5. Nero

Nero Member

Can you give a specific example of an alleged plot hole? Especially during the train wreck, as there was not a particularly large amount of 'plot' going on just then, mostly just insane action.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen the movie yet but from the trailers it looks like a hybrid of Cloverfield and The Goonies.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Awesome film! Reminds me of why I love going to the movies in the first place. It's pure Summer entertainment at its finest. Strong performances from everyone, characters you care about, great action. Now it doesn't reach the level of ET, Goonies, Close Encounters...nor should it, because this an homage to them. But again it's great in it's own right. It's got some nice humor every now and then too.

My only real complaint is that I felt the third act and the story/character resolutions were a little to quick to resolve. Just like the films it emulates, it was building toward an epic conclusion that never quite got there I think. In that regard, it would have been nice to see a little depth to the Dad (both dads Dads really) and to the villain Military colonel guy. Monster was rather underdeveloped as well. But those are only minor complaints for me.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

prob a good way of describing it imo

just got back from seeing it. it seemed to be a little over the top. but good action

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Saw it today so I'll say that no f-cking way does a a 70's pick up truck derail and cause such a train wreck. Second why did the train need to be derailed for the monster to break out. Didn't seem like it was so hard to bust out of the container. Third, why would the Airforce transport the space cubes on the same train?

The movie is all over the place. It switches in tone abruptly from kids comedy to monster movie to father son drama to military thriller.

The flaring light got annoying after the 10th time. I also get that it's an homage to Spielberg but jesus pick one of his films and not his entire cannon.

This movie would have been a classic if it was just about some kids making a zombie movie. They're that good.

10. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

saw this anyway, wasn't as 'JJ Abrams' as I thought, I liked it, 8/10

you get to see more of the monster than what was shown in Cloverfield; the train wreck sequence was amazing

Elle Fanning was quite fantastic in the first half of the movie

11. Treeza

Treeza Member

I LOVED this movie, something about the main characters being a group of kids just gave me a nostalgic feel. The sound was AMAZING in the theater, especially the train wreck.

9/10. Excellent film.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Fun movie, sort of dragged toward the middle but overall I would definitely recommend. Made up for X-Men which I saw right before and disliked.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not to mention the guy driving the truck lives. That part was so r****ded. Head on collision with a train in an old pickup truck. Bahaha...

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A train doesn't simply take down Mayor Clarence Royce of Baltimore.

1 person likes this.
  15. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Great movie. A must watch.

16. DreamRoxCoogFan

I will preface this by saying that I'm not a fan of sci-fi movies in the first place, so my expectations were lower. I wanted to see it because of all the good coverage it was getting.

That being said, I really enjoyed the movie. The story was very well woven together and I liked the development of the characters. It was a mixture of funny, suspenseful and serious, and I think they did a good job of it. The first part of the movie was very good. The last part exhibited exactly everything that I dislike about sci-fi movies- a very unbelieveable element is introduced into something that's very real and neatly solves all problems. However, that didn't bother me too much because, like I said earlier, expectations were low.

17. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

8/10 good character development.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I enjoyed it... there were several nods to fans of JJ's other work... the music was done by the guy who did lost and alias (the smoke monster sound from LOST could be heard a couple of times and there were a couple of musical bits that were Alias-esque - as well as the 47 in the kids movie which was an alias nod)

And I am totally convinced that the character of Charles is based on Greg Grunberg, but I haven't been able to confirm it.

the boy who played Joe did a great job of acting... as did the little girl (dakota fanning's little sister) that played Alice.

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

on imdb this is listed as his only credit. same for the kid playing charles. that's crazy. and they were really good.

i had no idea dakota fanning had a sister and the whole time i was watching the movie i kept thinking the girl playing alice reminded me of someone and by the end all i could come up with was that she reminded me of dakota fanning. so i was surprised to see i had a reason to think that while reading the credits. and she was born in 1998 so she was only 12 when they shot this thing. those fannings learn how to act at a young age.

as for the movie, it seemed like the whole was less than the sum of its parts. i really liked the kids and all their interactions and they were the main part of the movie and there really wasn't a point while i was watching that i didn't feel i was enjoying it and yet when it ended i wasn't that thrilled with the overall movie. maybe the ending just took something out of the whole thing.

20. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Wow, I can't believe I predicted this movie by just watching the trailers. This was big disappointment. Story was so predictable and finally I see why people are saying JJ Abrams is a hack. I don't understand what his love with this type of monster design. In all 3 movies from Cloverfield, Star Trek(the red monster on the ice planet was totally out of place) the monster(Aliens) are all similar. I monster/Alien design just didn't work for me because of the technology that it possesses. This is just a D grade version Lovercraft of Spielberg E.T.