1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Movie] James Cameron - AVATAR

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Aug 8, 2009.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm not Cameron's biggest fan by any means, there are a handful of directors out there that I would watch any movie they made, and he isn't one of them... But I think he has proved that he knows what he's doing and then some.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

He is absolutely a great director. His movies are not w/o their flaws, but every single time people seem to doubt the man, he blows them away. And what I love about his films, even with the most expensive gadgets in Hollywood, he makes you invest in the characters first and foremost.

3. JunkyardDwg

Well it might have had something to do with them recreating the ship in almost full scale and detail (interior and exterior).

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Sitting in my theater right now

5. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Just got back from seeing the movie.

Even if you think the movie sucks, the visuals alone are worth the price of admission. Visually this IS the most beautiful movie you have ever seen. Some parts are so detailed and incredible that even in my dreams I had never experienced anything like it.

For me the story was solid and at times it did get emotional. I was enthralled from start to finish and it did not feel anywhere near as long as 2 1/2 hours.

9 out of 10

6. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Note to self: Do NOT doubt James Cameron ever again. That movie was freaking amazing!

7. YaosDirtyStache

tomorrow im going to see it...on a date GIMME FIVE!

8. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Can't wait to check out his movie! :grin:

9. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

SINGLE GREATEST MOVIE EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE ****ING AMAZING

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

utterly speechless. fantastic. riveting. out of body experience.

10/10.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Just got back from the Imax 3D midnight showing.

Wow.

It was just ridiculous. I kept saying to myself "this is crazy" every 5 minutes or so.

I mean say what you want about cheesy aspects, the horrendous Michelle Rodriguez or the predictable storyline, but visually it just takes you somewhere and you really believe you are there... unlike anything I've ever experienced.

This movie is going to make a ****-ton of money.

12. Castro

Castro Member

Just got back from IMAX3D

AMAZING. Nuff said.

13. JunkyardDwg

Amazing.

The 3D is truly incredible...not gimmicky at all. The depth of field throughout the movie is unlike anything I've experienced. The CGI is so seamless...when it goes back and forth from live action to the Avatars and Pandora, I never really thought I was looking at something that was fake. It was breathtaking and painstakingly detailed. And the action scenes were intense.

The story was, as billed, predictable and not altogether original, but still strong enough. And I think ...like Half Blood Prince for me earlier in the year... it's going to take a repeat viewing to truly wrap myself around the whole experience and for all of it to really hit me. I almost felt like some moments were rushed, but then some moments were absolutely perfect.

Like at the end when Zoe Saldana is holding Jake's real body; that got me choked up a bit

Definitely gonna have to see this one again.

14. Castro

Castro Member

My friends were saying they saw nothing new with the 3d. I thought they were crazy, right from the get go when you see Jake in his lil chamber being awoke or whatever and everyone is floating and you see the depth of the whole scene. Amazing. Took 5 min or so to get used to though.

The depth of every scene is just amazing.

15. Nero

Nero Member

Caught the midnight show last night, and am happy to report:

ANY FEARS ABOUT THIS MOVIE NOT LIVING UP TO THE HYPE ARE COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED.

And since I brought it up earlier, I will go ahead and say also that any fears anyone may have about being beaten over the head with ham-handed environmentalism or Amerika=Bad are also unfounded. Unlike George Lucas, who couldn't write or direct his way out of a wet paper bag, Cameron here has created, I believe, a true masterpiece of Science Fiction.

Yes there are a few 'tried-and-true' (I won't call them bad, just 'familiar') dramatic devices, and some very clear foreshadowing, lending to the 'predictable' tag that some have put on the movie. But you know what? That's perfectly ok. With this movie, Cameron was not trying to be 'edgy', he was just trying to tell a hell of a yarn, with very clear-cut Good Guys and Bad Guys, and just enough other-worldly mysterious mysticism to give it a nice flavor (very similar to Star Wars in that regard).

Not going to get into spoiler territory at this time, so I will simply give it my highest recommendation, 9.75 out of 10 (simply because, at the end of a 3-hour movie experience at 3AM before having to get up for work in 3 hours, I wanted MORE), and I definitely WILL be seeing this multiple times in the theaters in 3D in order to try to absorb as many of the incredible details as I can before having to rely on Blu-Ray.

Have no fear, this is the REAL DEAL.

16. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

I'm excited to see good reviews from clutchfans. I'm gonna see it tonight and again tomorrow.

17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Definitely see the 3-D presentation if you have that option. Epic.

18. Rox_fan_here

Honestly,

Did any of you guys think Neytiri was sexy? I was weirded out after the movie because of this... :(

19. Nero

Nero Member

Well, she had some nice CGI nekkid blue boobage going on all movie long, so, yeah *grin*

20. Rox_fan_here

HAHA on some scenes rather than the stunning imagery I found myself looking for her nipples.

OK thats enough for today.