1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] James Cameron - AVATAR

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

100 mill box is probably a guarantee, but that would be an utter failure in terms of $$$ due to it's what, $250-$300 million budget. Even though it's probably a much better movie than Transformers 2, I don't think it has as much mass appeal, so $320 million ultimately imo, and that might not break even after all the final budget numbers are released. I wouldn't be surprised though if it falls below $200 million.

2. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Hearing that its all supposed to be CGI, I've lost a little interest, but may still check it out. Cameron's name on it alone should help sell some tickets. As for the teenage girl demographic, maybe they should have put in some metro-vamps in it.

3. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Same here. I found myself very disinterested because of that. Now that I know the story I'm somewhat intrigued

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Stupid question, but with the Avatar 3D thing, will movie theaters be giving out glasses for this? I haven't seen a 3D movie in ages.

Looks like the theater near me is showing the movie in 3D and also in non-3D.

5. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Yeah they give you the glasses on the day of the movie

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Holiday release, huge buzz and James Cameron directing can't result in anything less than $200 million at the box office. I'll bet it makes $65 million in it's first weekend. Factor in DVD sales and promotional merchandise and this thing is going to more than make back the money it cost to make it when it's all said and done.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The reviews have been amazing so far. I can't wait to see it. I know someone personally who saw a screening. Major sci-fi geek and he claimed it was one of the 5 best movies he's ever seen.

8. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Its going to make a ton of money overseas. Japan is going ga ga for Avatar.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Going Friday afternoon in 3-D. Can't wait.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

James Cameron was schilling this morning .... on the Weather Channel !

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Going to a screening tomorrow night. I'm still not sold on it, but I hope it proves me wrong.

12. Nero

Nero Member

well, it was a lot of money, time and effort gambled on the ultimate goal of hitting people over the head with the 'environmentalist' message, and especially now after the exposure of the climate 'scientists' as corrupt, hopefully this movie will be good enough that it doesn't turn people off with its message. So far, Cameron has a solid track record, so I am hoping that this will be able to overcome its own built-in traps.

Here's a question for you all: considering Cameron's work in the past, what would you say is his weakest movie effort?

To me, I think it's a tie between The Abyss and True Lies, for different reasons.

For The Abyss, I love that movie all the way up until they start getting to the end, and then it just looked like they were all standing around realizing that the last 5 pages of the script got coffee on them, and they were all tired, so they just said 'Screw it, let's just end this thing now.' and hence it has the all time lamest stupidest ending to what was otherwise a very good movie.

And True Lies .. well, it's just too dang silly a lot of the time, I know it is really more of a cartoon than a serious movie, but still, I mean, come on, a motorcycle on the roof of a building with what, 20 feet head start, can crash THROUGH a plate glass wall and then fly a hundred feet to another rooftop?

Come on James, sheesh.

Oh well, I am there for at least one showing of Avatar, and maybe more if it is good. Here's hoping.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

woah. the climate scientists have been proven corrupt? when did this happen?

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

True Lies is nothing special.

I saw the Abyss when I was a kid and it scared the hell out of me. I never ever wanted to go deep-sea diving after seeing that movie.

I always thought the ending was weird.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nero...did you like the alternate ending of abyss?

true lies was a good action flick. Of course it's ridiculous but it's an action movie! Would have loved if they did another one.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure it's better than that crappy CGI Final Fintasy movie.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

D&D, brah, D&D. Read the full AP report as they read all the stolen emails and rendered a verdict on "exposure" and who is "corrupt" or not. So if you know a lot more than the people who've rendered an objective analysis, bless the ongoing threads in D&D

18. Nero

Nero Member

No, the alternate ending, with the big tidal wave, if that is the one I am thinking of, to me it is worse.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

When? a few weeks ago. Where? In his mind.

20. Nero

Nero Member

Hey, believe whatever you want to believe. I was just talking about the prospects of the most expensive movie ever made possibly being hindered by a heavy-handed message, immediately after the whistle-blower email event.

Whether the AP has graced us all with their objective analysis or not, this thing is out there now, and it is in peoples' minds, and it could have an effect on how people perceive the movie.

Like I said, I hope the movie is awesome enough to stand on its own despite this potential pitfall. We'll see.