1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] James Cameron - AVATAR

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What a crock of bull. There are 2 theaters showing this sneak preview (3 in Dallas). One is the Gulf Pointe AMC, I don't know about you guys, but I'm not driving halfway to Galveston for this crap. The other is the First Colony AMC which has one of those tiny faux IMAX screens.

http://www.avatarmovie.com/ticketing/

good luck getting the site to load btw.

2. mic

mic Contributing Member

Got mine for AMC Gulf Pointe. I haven't receive a confirmation, and it kept "timing out," but when I tried to reserve them again, it said I had already reserved them. Hoping it works out.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Gulf Pointe is the one at the Beltway and 45? I believe that's a fake IMAX too.

Site is toast anyway. Don't think I can get tickets.

4. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

So you have to go to First Colony or Gulf Pointe AMC and

buy tickets to watch the preview?

5. mic

mic Contributing Member

You don't have to BUY anything. It's free.

6. Luckyazn

So what time is the preview showing? or how do you get tickets to it?

7. mic

mic Contributing Member

8. Luckyazn

GOT IT!

2 tickets 7pm at First Colony AMC :)

9. tomato

tomato Member

You must live in Tomball for that AMC to be halfway to Galveston

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Same here but for 6pm. Getting a little excited. It's hard not to temper my expectations based on word of mouth.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Those AMC screens aren't legit IMAX screens.

Only legit IMAX screens are at the Museum of Natural History and Edwards on i-10.

Oh yeah someone hook me up with tix. :)

12. JunkyardDwg

^^ It's free so I'm not complaining. I would never pay full Imax price to see a movie on those fauMax screens though.

13. JunkyardDwg

Ok so I did manage to catch the sneak peak tonight.

First of all, the small Imax screens at AMC are actually pretty decent. I still don't think I'd pay full Imax price, though.

Now, I do think James Cameron is hyping this thing way, way too much. I don't think the film is gonna meet the lofty expectations he set for the cgi. There are some shots that are jaw dropping, and others not so much, but still impressive. The first few scenes we get to see the human and marines. Now I was of the understanding that the whole film used 3d motion capture technology. If that's the case, then he's created the most realistic humans I have EVER seen. They look so real, I'm lead to believe they are real. But I thought the whole movie was cgi. So I'm a little confused.

The Naavi, yes they don't look real. But here's the thing; you're creating a fictional race in a fictional world. No matter how hard you try it's not gonna look as real as you and me, because it's not supposed to be that. So what is real then? How can it look "real" if has nothing to compare itself too? Notice I didn't say they looked fake; because outside of a couple of shots where they move awkwardly, they don't. Some shots are better than others. But the level of detail at work here is absolutely amazing. I haven't seen such intricacies in any other movie, video game, etc. I think the important thing here is they feel real. You watch other cgi movies like Final Fantasy, Polar Express, Beowulf, the characters and environments feel a little dead. Not here. Again, I wasn't completely blown away, but it was impressive nonetheless.

As for the 3d. Once again, I was expecting to be awestruck and I wasn't. Among current 3d films, I've only seen Up, so I don't have a lot to compare. But with Up, I was impressed at first, but by the end I didn't really notice it. With Avatar, some shots were better than others, but I always seemed to feel immersed in the world. And I remember Cameron saying something to that effect. This isn't a movie were things are gonna be jumping at the screen at you. It puts you into Pandora, and it does it really well. And there was one moment that actually completely floored me. And it was a shot of the vegetation on Pandora. The "camera" tilted down to show his feet stepping on the ground. The combination of 3d, cgi and the illuminating, neon-esque palette left me breathless. Hard to describe, but as a fictional world, that moment and that shot of the forest felt as real as anything on earth.

The end of the preview showed the final moments of the trailer. And it does seem to get a little bogged down with so much action happening on the screen. It does feel a little fake here. But it's still pretty awesome nonetheless.

So basically, Cameron is definitely pushing the technology forward and to it's limits. I don't think he's reinventing anything here. And while it's not as real as he may be hyping it to be, it's still plenty impressive. This film, if it does well, is not gonna do well because of the cgi or the 3d (as good as it is). It's gonna do well because it's a breathtaking experience. And that is EXACTLY what I took away from it. The story, the pacing, the shots, the music and yes the cgi and 3d...from the small snippets I saw...they all came together to form a truly epic movie experience, just like Aliens and The Abyss and Terminator 2 and Titanic. And that's where it strength lies in my opinion. In Cameron's ability to craft a complete and moving film that revolves around it's characters.

Avatar's gonna be good, even great. Just temper your expectations a bit, otherwise you will be disappointed with the cgi.

--Ok after a little investigating...the humans at the beginning are real it seems. For some reason I thought the whole movie was cgi, but he's blending some live action elements into it. That makes sense, because there's no way you can make something look THAT real!

#33 JunkyardDwg, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

They weren't CGI humans. It's a live action movie. Besides Delgo, you can also compare the plot of Avatar to Battle For Terra, another crappy CG movie nobody saw.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Here you go Keyser...

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

My son and I saw "A Christmas Carol" in IMAX 3D last weekend (which was awesome) and they had the 3D preview of "Avatar" that was pretty jaw dropping.

It looks really good.

18. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Lol thanks mate :)

Oh yeah here are some insane tv spots to get that blood pumping!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0KWL51CqIs4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0KWL51CqIs4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJLIuWTfMgk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJLIuWTfMgk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zeu_aR4ZURk (embed disabled for this one)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ku5ypVOvcVI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ku5ypVOvcVI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

IMAX 3D exactly two weeks from now!

19. droxford

droxford Member

I getting really sick of movie trailers that contain a non-stop barrage of quarter-second clips.

Is it just me?

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

After seeing all the clips I think Delgo is a little more graphically advanced than Avatar.