1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] James Cameron - AVATAR

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Peter Mensah, Laz Alonso, Wes Studi, Stephen Lang
    Directed by: James Cameron
    Rated: Unrated
    U.S. Opening Date: December 18th, 2009

They say

Avatar is the story of a wounded ex-marine, thrust unwillingly into an effort to settle and exploit an exotic planet rich in bio-diversity, who eventually crosses over to lead the indigenous race in a battle for survival.

We say

Titanic director James Cameron’s first movie in ten years promises to be quite something: a $190 million hybrid of action and animation about a paraplegic war veteran is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. Those from Earth find themselves at odds with each other and the local culture.

In the 52-year-old director’s own words:

"We're going to blow you to the back wall of the theatre in a way you haven't seen for a long time. My goal is to rekindle those amazing mystical moments my generation felt when we first saw 2001: A Space Odyssey or the next generation's Star Wars. It took me 10 years to find something hard enough to be interesting."

"I've wanted to make this movie from the time I wrote the treatment 11 years ago. I was just biding my time for when it was going to be technically possible. I'm so invested in the 3-D, and I love the challenge of creating an alien culture. We're creating a world from scratch, so it's really fun."

Will Avatar be a classic like Cameron's other SF efforts — Aliens, Terminator 2: Judgment Day?

"Many are saying that the CGI world that Cameron and crew have created feels almost as if they “took a camera and placed it on another planet.” The 3D effects, for once, doesn’t draw attention to themselves, instead serving only to only enhance the experience."

Is coming out in Dec. but have anybody seen a real trailer yet? It was surpose to be rumor to be shown during Transformers 2 but guess not.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The latest I heard ...out of Comic Con... was that they were going to premiere 15 minutes of footage (for free) at IMAX screens across the country in mid-August.

Hope that still happens; I'm dying to get a look at it. Cameron is one of my favorite directors.

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Hell yeah, I'm KING OF THE HATING JAMES CAMERON!!!

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

James Cameron let Michael Bay slip in during his 10 year rest and ruin the summer blockbuster.

5. droxford

droxford Member

.... so, it's just like On Deadly Ground with Steven Seagal ?

6. JunkyardDwg

Except that in order to gain the the trust of the alien species so they can mine the planet, the ex-marine and his unit project their minds into avatars that resemble the Na'avi. One of the interesting aspects of this is that the ex-marine is confined to a wheelchair, but his avatar has full use of its limbs. So he gets to feel what it's like to walk again.

#6 JunkyardDwg, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  7. matrixReloaded

For a minute, I thought this was same movie as The Last Airbender.

8. Nero

Nero Member

I am getting bad vibes from this one.

Primarily, I don't like the premise of the story, which sounds to me like yet another tired rehash of Pocahontas, another Luddite human-hating story. I *hope* this is not the way it turns out, I *hope* it blows me away, but if the story turns people off, then no amount of amazing effects will be able to redeem it.

9. worzel gummidge

It sounds like Dune.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there is supposed to be a trailer made for this sometime late August. My brain is telling me August 24th.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Worst cast ever.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The whole wounded invader going native story is a pretty popular story line and has been done several times. Just off the top of my head, Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia and has previously been mentioned On Deadly Ground.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm having flashbacks of Lucas talking about how awesome The Phantom Menace was going to be.

14. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I am looking forward to the trailer. Lots of good buzz on this one. People forget this is the man that did great things in the sci-fi/action realm before his break.

Though Cameron doesn't have the track record of raping his franchises into oblivion, so there is hope.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

And, Sigourney Weaver reprising her role as Ripley (yes, she's still alive...albeit cloned for the umpteenth time). ;) :p

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I'm more jazzed about the last Air Bender.

17. JunkyardDwg

Cameron always seems to be adept at telling a good story that centers on it's characters.

Aliens - Ripley
    The Abyss - Bud and Lindsey
    T2 - Arnie, Jon and Sarah
    True Lies - Harry and Helen Tasker
    Titanic - Jack and Rose

So I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This movie has epic letdown written all over it, but I hope it's really good.

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Say what? In what way does it sound like Dune?

nm: read it again and I guess it could sound like that. I had this very green and flora rich world in my mind though so that caught me off guard.

20. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member