1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie] I Love You, Man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by finalsbound, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

WTF are you talking about? Seth Rogen was not even in the movie.
    I guess only us "nerds" knew that.

1 person likes this.
  2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

So your parents wouldn't mind the endless blow job references? There also seemed to be a lot of f-bombs.

Speaking of trailers before the movie, does anything look worse than the Sandra Bullock movie. Typical goofy chick flick. That's what made this movie so good for me. It was a romantic comedy done the right way...I heard many women laughing throughout the movie.

I wouldn't compare Observe and Report with Paul Blart. This one ain't gonna be for families. (The red band trailer has been posted before.) I'm looking forward to Year One. Funny People doesn't do it for me.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I remember when I first heard about Funny People, I thought it was going to be this kind of interesting comedy/drama about stand up comedians. I was thinking like Punchline with Tom Hanks.

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

slap the bass

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

your speaking to someone who watched "Chasing Amy" with his parents when I was 14, although sitting 5 seats down the row from them

nuff said

6. Ari

Ari Member

umm...did you not see the Pin. Express reference? I know Rogen is not in this movie, genius. That was probably why I found it a whole lot more enjoyable than Rogen's typical garbage (oh, look at me I smoke weed all day! Yipee!). Forgetting Sarah Marshall was not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination either but it was still miles ahead of PE.

Maybe Rogen is a better producer than actor, I sure hope so. I did enjoy Super Bad and thought it was LOL funny.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

So you think a smart, atypical teenage party comedy is hilarious, but a smart, atypical weed-smoking movie is absolute trash because Seth Rogen is in it?

I enjoy Seth Rogen as an actor, Knocked up is probably my favorite Apatow movie because of him and Paul Rudd.

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I thought you were talking about "I Love You, Man". You rambled too much and confused me.

9. Ari

Ari Member

No I am OK with "I love you man", I would not rave about it to anyone, but it was not a total waste of time at least.

As for Super Bad, that movie was just as immature as most of those type of comedies, but it had a ridiculous amount of LOL moments that it more than made up for all the dirty jokes and typical teenage humor. PE on the other hand, not a SINGLE funny moment in the entire damn movie. I kept wanting to get up or boo in the middle of the screening, but there was no other option at the time so I labored through it. It was just a garbage script.

I don't mind the American Pie type of movies, in fact I have enjoyed many of them, but you gotta make up for the silliness with some actual comedy that will keep you smiling on your way out of the theater.

Just my two cents

10. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

This movie was gay as hell. I don't mean horrible, it was just really really homo. Come on, JS/PR have a break-up and get back together scene for every one between Rudd and Jones.... maybe two. Too much guy.

Paul Rudd is unbearably, unbelievably awkward. He is my roommate, down to a T....

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think you missed the point of the movie, and you sound like the typical homophobic 18-25 male.

Perhaps you should stick to more sophomoric movies where homosexuality is still generalized as uncouth.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Watching the commercials, I was expecting an over the top farce along the lines of something you described. But it got 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and we were looking to watch a movie...

And I was really happy I did. They played it 'straight' so to speak, down to earth and believable main characters. It was pretty funny, the wife loved it (which is saying a lot), I would definitely watch again. Cool to see some of the Human Giant and The State guys in it.

Rashida Jones is cuuuuuuuuute.

1 person likes this.
  13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Speaking of her, I was watching old episodes of Chappelle Show and she was the chick that did the Love Contract skit, funny stuff

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I didn't think the trailer looked very good either, but i felt the same way about Role Models. Some friends dragged me to that movie and I loved it, so I will have to check this one out.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't see how it's homophobic to say the movie was gay. Rudd tongue kissed a man, went on dates with men, and they took the typical plot of a male/female romantic comedy and made it male/male.

Yeah, pretty gay...not that there's anything wrong with that.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Pretty homophobic to say "Oh my god this movie was just say gay, I didn't like how gay it was" when the gay parts were mostly for humor and satire.

17. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

To be fair, I was expressing it 'homophobically.' I meant it the way you're saying, but it did come out as 'I hated this movie because it was gay.'

I disliked it mostly because of Rudd's puttering around. Granted, a movie this dense with dialogue deserves an unbiased second watch... My reaction was similarly negative to Knocked Up and Wedding Crashers, both of which I would now classify as 'funny-enough-to-overcome-deficits'.

I could have done without her shallow circle of friends, endless barf scene, and Rashida Jones' bangs, too.

18. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

5/10, would not watch again

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Caught this movie last Thursday and was surprised that the wife actually wanted to go (although she at first let me know that this wouldn't have been her "first choice" - she wanted to see the Madea movie, I think :rolleyes: ). I thought it was funny from the get-go but it wasn't until the scene in which Rudd barfs in Jon Favreau's face that my wife started to get into the movie. We both found it hilarious after that, so it was all good. :)

I like these type of movies and especially the actors that always seem to be in them like Rudd, Segal, Seth Rogen (even though he wasn't in this one and the same goes for Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Steve Carell, etc.), etc. aka the Judd Apatow movies or ones that he has some role in it or has "influenced".

Jon Favreau was I thought the scene stealer as well as the guy who played Barry (he was the dude that tried to tongue kiss Rudd). Loved it when he was one of the groomsmen at the end, lol.

20. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

meh :rolleyes: it was overrated