1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Movie]Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Apr 18, 2011.

1. alethios

alethios Member

this - I wish that the blood connection was explained more or at least mentioned in the movie. I also wish the reference to Harry's cloak of invisibility was eluded to in the movie.

2. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Thanks a lot to juicystream and rockbox for the clarifications.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Just saw this last night...and file me in with the "movies-only" crowd. I'd love to read the books, just don't have time right now to devote to it.

That being said (and correct me if I'm wrong...especially since I didn't read the books), but it seems that Rowling left a huge hole regarding...

...Voldemort's knowledge of the Deathly Hallows. It seems everyone, including all kids growing up in the magical environment should've been told the story of the three brothers. Why didn't any of the Death Eaters or Voldemort's other followers bring this to light when it became apparent that he was going after/getting/and using the Elder wand? As well thought out and executed as Voldemort's plans were, this seems like a huge slip up on his part and makes me question how smart, as a character, Voldemort really was.

The conclusion and all of the events leading up in the final move made me revisit Harry's prophecy and realize that there were so many underlying meanings to it. I guess if Voldemort had gotten his hands on it, my first paragraph above might have resolved itself.

Granted the movie left out quite a bit of the white hall scene with Harry and Dumbledore, I really felt that Rowling wanted you to derive that even though Dumbledore had a questionable past, that he really cared for Harry and knew that if he would accept sacrificing himself for the sake of others, he would survive and be able to kill Voldemort. I'm questioning the definition of dying when Snape and Dumbledore (during Snape's memory sequence) are discussing Harry's scar as a horcrux. I sorta get the feeling that Dumbledore knew that Harry wouldn't necessarily die, but going through the act of sacrifice would force the horcrux to be destroyed and Harry to survive. I think Snape's comment of raising Harry like "a pig to be slaughtered" was a little misdirecting. If I'm way off on any of this and it's clarified by the books, feel free to put me in my place. Maybe one day I'll be able to read the books thoroughly enough to answer any loose ends that the movies left open.

Oh yeah...great movie. Although I would love to have seen
    a better celebration scene after Voldemort dies. More hugs, jumping up and down, excitedness, etc...

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i guess i have to go back and check the books i dont believe there was a huge celebration scene in the book either - i guess it was more of a relief that it was over especially with all the people who fell during the final battle -- I do agree though it seemed very abrupt the way it ended after voldemort died. I think what maybe only a 2-3 minutes passed from when he died and the fade out to the future started? personally i felt the final battle at hogwarts was very tame and could have been much more epic - i really wish they made it that way i mean its the final movie - the final fight even if the movie was 10-15 minutes longer because of it i am sure people would not have cared. Also budget wise i mean the potter films have made WB billions they should have ponied up some more to make it so its not like this potter film wont go on to gross a billion or so for WB. overall it was a really well done film of course and i thoroughly enjoyed it

5. droxford

droxford Member

^^ Along the same note, I think WB should be releasing extended cut Blu-Rays and DVDs of the movies, filling in a lot of the holes that are in the movies.

6. SunsRocketsfan

agreed and that was my only gripe with the movie. It had so much potential to be this truly awesome epic movie like LOTRs. I really wish it was about 20-30 mins longer.
    Oh well I still enjoyed it :)

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the ultimate editions for the first two movies are already out and have extended versions for both films

I dont believe that there are any extended versions for the others though in the ultimate editions and its probably too hard to go back and maybe splice in any deleted scenes whatever was taken out was probably minor add ons to the scenes already in the film if something was not included from the book the first time around it probably was never shot in the first place. Even the extended versions of Stone and Chamber of Secrets I believe is only 7-10 minutes

i guess thats what makes LOTR special - the directors do have restrictions put on them from the studios about length - people are less likely to sit through a 3-4 hour thing so things need to be cut. Good thing Jackson made the extended ones though. With HP being marketed to children who have shorter attention spans i dont think they would appreciate a 3-3.5 hour movie for each book as much as adults would. Its wishful thinking of course

overall i think the potter films were fine except of course what i wished they would have done for the final film.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

When Ron, Harry and Hermione went to see Xenophilius Lovegood, and he asked them about Beetle the Bard, only Ron knew of the Tale of the three Brothers. Makes sense because Harry and Hermione grew up in a Muggle household. As did Voldemort, who never knew his father and whose mother died when he was young. So he was left to grow up in an orphanage. He wouldn't have known the story. And I think it's also conceivable to think that a children's story wouldn't be the first thing a Death Eater thinks when trying to help Voldemort figure out how to kill Harry. Not to mention why would Voldemort have any need for the resurrection stone, considering he had no love ones to bring back, and his personality certainly doesn't support him wanting the cloak to hide from his enemies whom he'd rather kill to assert his power. He already thought to have "mastered" death anyways by creating the Horcruxes. He wanted to kill Harry, and he needed a wand powerful enough to do it. Plain and simple. Harry however, was the one that really needed the Deathly Hallows to conquer Voldemort. His ownership of the Elder Wand allowed the curse to rebound on Voldemort, the cloak allowed him to sneak out to the woods (in the book at least) to confront Voldemort, and the resurrection stone gave him the ability to speak to those who meant most to him, giving him the courage to sacrifice himself.

I think Dumbledore may have known that Harry would possibly survive, but not for sure. And all Snape and Harry really needed to know was that Harry had to sacrifice himself. The payoff (for the viewer/reader) would have been far less if he knew he would survive. Plus, I like to think that King's Cross was a limbo of sorts, which makes perfect sense if you think of the train station as symbolic of his journey. Harry asked Dumbledore if he had to go back and Dumbledore didn't give him a definite answer. I think, in some small way, Harry was torn from moving on and being with his family, and going back to finish what he started. So again it goes back to Dumbledore believing he could survive, but not knowing for sure.

Definitely thought the aftermath was short. But after thinking about it some, a big celebration wouldn't have made sense. Do soldiers start to clap and cheer following a gritty battle that claimed many of their friends lives? Their exhausted, relived, traumatized, angry, guiltstricken. This is minutes after the battle, not days later. Still, I wish we would have perhaps seen a tender moment between Harry and Ginny, some sort of acknowledgement among the survivors that Harry had succeeded. But all we got was Hagrid and Harry hugging, and then the Harry, Ron and Hermione reunion. Was nice but could have been more perhaps.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was hoping the ending would be laced with this song:

yug yug

echow...yug yug

a chowa chickadee dee...ayecha eeeoooowaaaaaa.

(repeat)

1 person likes this.