1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie] Hancock

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Jul 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

it was ok i think what disappointed me for this movie after months of waiting was the steep decline in plot after a certain point in the movie. (those who've seen it know exactly where that is)

everything we saw in the trailers looked pretty cool and funny...a drunk superhero who just does whatever he wants turning into a good guy etc.

what i dont get is charlize's character. so they've been on and off again for the past 3000 years? only way to explain they were the last ones left. so what she is with him and then leaves him so she could be immortal and be with someone else? if they are 'naturally' drawn together they should have died as mortals long ago. Also maybe its just me but wouldn't a black man and white woman stand out like a sore thumb as a couple 200 years ago let alone 2000? ok maybe thats just going too "realistic" in a fictional movie but way too many plot gapes imo. I mean if Hancock knows Charlize is supposed to be his wife then why allow her to be with Bateman when that guy is going to age and die and she'll be exactly the same.

It could have been a whole lot better if he was by himself and maybe in the fight that left him with amnesia Charlize died. to me it seemed that the writers kind of stop trying after the point when they revealed that she was powerful as well

2. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I think I agree with most people, the movie started off great and had alot of promise, though the prison scene was a bit much. Then the plot twist happens and movie falls off a cliff.

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes.
    She leaves him so he could live. He's supposed to be the Earth's protector, an insurance policy for the God.
    I thought it was obvious that the people who burned his house down in the 1800s and jumped him in an alley in 1920 did it because he was with a white woman. 2000 years ago, the world was different, maybe it was the other way around.
    Because she loves him.
    I didn't think the movie was that complicated, nor was I bothered so much by the plot twist, some sort of plot twist was necessary, and I liked the direction they took and didn't think it was made-up on the fly or anything like that, it was well thought-out, just easy to misunderstand. It was a different super hero movie, that I think will be a lot better once the director's cut comes out on DVD since so much of it was cut out to make it PG-13.

4. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

There was a lot I liked and a lot I disliked (or thought was pointless) but overall I though it was worth seeing it. It might even be a movie we buy since my wife liked it so much - big fan of Smith I guess.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Did you miss the part where the Gods made them in pairs and have been together for over 3K years. Did you miss the part where they kissed because they are naturally attracted to each other.

They were soul mates.

I wish I was taking a piss break during the important parts because at least I wouldn't be fully aware of the dumb plot.

6. lalala902102001

This movie is about as bad a superhero movie can go.

If you haven't seen it, wait for the DVD...it's not worth seeing in the theater.

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He was different then all the rest, either from the beginning or because he was the last one left, they had to sacrifice their relationship so he could live.

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Seconded. GOD, that was a terrible movie.

Hancock was okay, but they should've gone with the affair as it was originally instead of making up the "ancient lovers" thing. That's what happens when you change scripts around to be more audience friendly... you have to make up a bunch of crazy bs to support the change.

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

This movie needed a controversial interracial secks scene
    So how did Charlize get to turn into Storm (from Xmen) and Hancock is stuck with just a stupid strength and the ability to fly?

Now I wanna see a Hancock vs Superman movie.

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I don't know about you guys but I just saw the movie and I thought it was very entertaining.

I didn't see much of a drop-off in the movie, it had a lot of surprise and twists, and though the story could have been very complicated, they were able to simplify it.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

There were some obvious plot problems but i think the cast did well with what they were given.

I saw a Colbert Report episode where he talked with Will Smith and at the end of the interview he jokingly talked about the movie being a metaphor for America. Maybe i'm just reaching but its possible that it was a deeper meaning. The eagle, the name, the way he saves everyone's behind but everyone hates him because of the way he does it.

Thinking about that alone made the movie interesting for me.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Just saw it yesterday and it was mehhh, what I expected. Not terrible but not great.
    What was great was Charlize Theron. OMFG, now I understand why white guys like her and why she's always in the hottest women's list of various mags.
    She is effin beautiful. Cor f*&king blimey!!!

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

clarify on this please

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yeah, I downloaded and watched the Happening this past week. What a waste of bandwidth and time. Just HORRIBLE!

Downloading Hancock right now. I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Harold and Kumar 2 was dope. Many laughs.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Agreed. Watched it tonight after downloading it and I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it so much after reading this thread.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I just watched it last night and that alone also made it interesting to me.

17. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Oddly, I just rented this movie, watched the uncut version (the one where we picks up the gal at the bar and when he comes he shoots his seed through the roof, scaring away the gal)...and I liked it.

I seriously thought I wouldnt. So either my expectations were low, or it isnt as bad as everyone painted it.

Anyway, amusing rental. Much better than Harold and Kumar 2, btw.....